My dad won't allow me to go college.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dad won't allow me to go college.

I have a big dream of becoming a dentist. My predicted grades for college are great and I'm doing well at school. The problem is that after i do my GCSE's, my father doesn't want me to go to college. He wants me to stay at home. I don't really ever ask my parents for anything, but this is something that i REALLY want and they wont give it to me. Unfortunately, I've made the decision to run away from home, but I'm scared that if the police find me, will they force me back home? If so, I'm literally dead meat. I just don't know what to do :/

RE: My dad won't allow me to go college.

Hello there -

First, let me say good for you for having dreams of becoming a dentist. Sorry to hear that your father doesn’t want you to go to college. You asked whether the police will force you back home if they find you.

There are several ways things can go when people leave home. One thing that might occur is your parents could file a runaway report. We’re not legal experts, however, we do know generally how the law works. In most states, up until you turn 18, you are considered a runaway if you leave home without permission and can be filed as a runaway with the police. It is not illegal to run away, it is considered a status offense, so not a felony or misdemeanor or anything that would go on your record. But, yes, if you leave home, and your parents file a runaway report, and the police find you, they will bring you back home. Sometimes, when this happens, after being returned home, youth will end up leaving again. You mentioned, though, that you would be literally dead meat. Does that mean your parents would physically harm you? No one deserves to feel unsafe in their home. If you are concerned about and/or feel threatened, please don’t hesitate to give us a call and hopefully together we could come up with a safety plan.

Also, have you talked to your parents about what you were feeling? If you haven’t talked to your parents, or if it doesn’t go well when you try to (things can get pretty emotionally charged sometimes), we might be able to help in facilitating a conversation. One thing we offer here at NRS is conference calling. That means if you were to call into our hotline at 1 800 RUNAWAY, we could make a call out to your mom and/or dad with you on the line with us, so that we could mediate a conversation. This would be an opportunity to let them know how you’ve been feeling with a third party on the line to make sure that the conversation is productive and fair.

If you would like to talk further and explore more options, please feel free to reach out to us. Our lines are open 24/7 and can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We also have a live chat program that is available every day from 4:30 PM until 11:30 PM CT that could be reached through our website www.1800runaway.org. We wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you soon.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I was living a very hard life because the college's didn't ecept me not at all that's why I am still living at home

Comment

• ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello! Thank you so much for reaching out, we appreciate you seeking out help.

You mentioned that colleges didn’t accept you, and that’s why you’re still living at home. The college application process can be scary, and you’re super smart for thinking about your bright future! With that being said, an option you may explore would be to look into trade schools with that is something that you’re interested in, or applying to your local community college. If you ever need someone to talk to about how you’re feeling, you can contact the national alliance on mental health at 1800) 950-6264, they will be a great listening ear.

Again, thank you so much for reaching out to us! You’re really brave for enduring all of this, you’re not alone. If you ever want to talk, or need additional resources, you can always chat with us online at 1800runaway.org, or by phone at 1800) 786-2929. Best of luck!
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X