Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m 17 and have nowhere to go.

About 7 months ago, I made the transition to live with my dad. I left so that I could have a better life and so that I could finish school. My mom is out of work, lives with my grandparents, and smokes pot all day long. Everyone in the household is depressed & cant support me. They have no money. Last year when living with them, I began skipping school a lot & dating a man that was a lot older than me, for his money. I was fed up with being broke all of the time. He made me realize I needed to go live with my dad, which later, I did. I got my life back on track, my dad bought a brand new house (and a big one) for me, his wife, & my stepsister. I haven’t lived with my dad since I was about 4 years old, so he’s new to parenting. Of course, there were a few times we haven’t gotten along. What really makes him angry is when I ask him to visit my mom, because that is the environment I was trying to get away from, but I’d never get rid of her altogether. (My parents are an hour away from one another) This weekend, I came to stay with her, he acted like it was gone & my stepmom even met her halfway. But he called me the morning I was leaving and lashed out, saying he was unhappy with me around and didn’t want me to come back to the house. Where do I go from here? I certainly can’t live with my mom.

Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like your dad had a strong reaction to you visiting your mom this weekend and told you not to come back. That seems really hurtful, and it makes total sense that you want to keep your relationship with your mom even though you cannot live with her.

You mentioned that your dad is new to this and you visiting your mom is a trigger for his anger, you might try to give your dad a little space to cool off and then try to have a conversation with tensions not as high. Maybe you all can have a productive conversation about this situation and come up with some compromises. If you would like someone to mediate that conversation we can do that through our conference call service if you call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You might also include a trusted adult in on that conversation such as a grandparent to help advocate for your needs.

If you are interested in looking for shelter or transitional living programs in your area, please do not hesitate to call or chat us. We can brainstorm your options and look for safe places for you to go. If you haven't already, you might reach out to friends and extended family members to see if you can stay with them if you need.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Be safe,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X