No announcement yet.

How do I get help?

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How do I get help?

    My mother is gay and my dad is not around right now. My mom emotionally abuses me and threatens to punch me. Every morning dropping me off to school she finds something to yell at me about and I feel as though I’m happy to go to school which I usually am not. She often says I’m annoying and a crybaby and other people’s kids aren’t like that and her saying that makes me want to kill myself knowing that it’s true and I won’t change. After a day of yelling she’ll sit down and tell me she didn’t mean it and she loves me. But she does the same thing everyday. I don’t know if this is abuse because she isn’t touching me everyday, I avoid that but is emotional abuse still abuse?

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We're sorry to hear about all that is going on and want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy in your home. You mentioned experiencing emotional abuse which may be reportable against your mom. Please keep in mind you by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise. Unfortunately, emotional abuse is often harder to provide evidence for compared to physical abuse which is often what CPS relies on when conducting an abuse investigation. That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share. Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process. Reaching out to Child Help USA at (1-800-422-4453) or may help to get a better understanding of what may happen before and after a report is made.

    We are not legal experts, but we can tell you that if you are a minor and you leave and your mom files a runaway report, you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a runaway. If you want a liner to help you walk through other options like us mediating a conference call between you and your mom where you could more safely share your feelings, thinking through possible adults that you could turn to or could advocate for you, or things like emancipation and legal aid numbers, don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).



    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      Hello my 17 year old son wants to move in with me from another state he currently lives with a mentally and emotionally abusive dad. What can I do to help him without going to court because I do not have the money to do that. I am worried about him that he might hurt himself or run away please help!!


      • ccsmod5
        ccsmod5 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for reaching out and trying to advocate for your son. No one ever deserves to be abused. Without knowing too much of the situation, we can only give general info. Generally, your son can stay with you if you have partial custody. Without that partial custody, you would likely have to go to court; if you don’t have the money to do that, you might consider looking into legal aid resources that can provide free or sliding scale services. If you’re not able to find any, feel free to give us a call and we can try to find some for you. Our number is 1-800-786-2929. Another resource that could be helpful is the National Child Abuse Hotline (aka Child Help) at 1-800-422-4453.
        You mention that you’re concerned your son might hurt himself. If you feel that he is in immediate danger of hurting himself, you might consider calling 9-1-1 or the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.
        Finally, it’s worth mentioning that in many cases, police will not force a 17-year-old to return home, particularly if he’s crossed state lines, is with a safe parent, and if there is abuse at home—though we aren’t legal experts.
        Thank you again for reaching out. If you need any resources or would like to speak more specifically about the situation, feel free to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929. We’re open 24/7,
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove