No announcement yet.

How do I get help?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get help?

My mother is gay and my dad is not around right now. My mom emotionally abuses me and threatens to punch me. Every morning dropping me off to school she finds something to yell at me about and I feel as though I’m happy to go to school which I usually am not. She often says I’m annoying and a crybaby and other people’s kids aren’t like that and her saying that makes me want to kill myself knowing that it’s true and I won’t change. After a day of yelling she’ll sit down and tell me she didn’t mean it and she loves me. But she does the same thing everyday. I don’t know if this is abuse because she isn’t touching me everyday, I avoid that but is emotional abuse still abuse?

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We're sorry to hear about all that is going on and want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy in your home. You mentioned experiencing emotional abuse which may be reportable against your mom. Please keep in mind you by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise. Unfortunately, emotional abuse is often harder to provide evidence for compared to physical abuse which is often what CPS relies on when conducting an abuse investigation. That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share. Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process. Reaching out to Child Help USA at (1-800-422-4453) or www.childhelp.org may help to get a better understanding of what may happen before and after a report is made.

We are not legal experts, but we can tell you that if you are a minor and you leave and your mom files a runaway report, you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a runaway. If you want a liner to help you walk through other options like us mediating a conference call between you and your mom where you could more safely share your feelings, thinking through possible adults that you could turn to or could advocate for you, or things like emancipation and legal aid numbers, don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Best,

NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X