No announcement yet.

Need help???

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need help???

    I'm 17 with a 8 week old baby. Me and my family doesn't see eye to eye. My boyfriend (father of the baby)and his parents said I could move in with them. I want to but I know my parents wouldn't let me. I want to know if I can move in with them without parent consent. My family keeps putting stress on me which put it on the baby. And there's 8 people living in a 3 bedroom house. I don't feel safe here at this house anymore since before I got pregnant and when I'm with my boyfriend and his family I feel safe and happy. I'm not happy when I'm with my family.

  • #2
    Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are in a really tricky situation with your family and wanting to move out with your baby at 17. Here at NRS, we are not legal experts but can answer generally.

    In most states, the legal age you can leave home without parental permission is 18. If you haven't already, you might tru to talk to your parents or legal guardian about leaving home. It seems like they might be difficult to talk to, but that is the easiest way to leave home before 18. If there is a supportive adult in your life like a family member or friend you might try to include them in on the conversation with your guardian. Sometimes it can help to include an adult in on the conversation when your needs are not being heard. If you leave without permission, your guardian can attempt to file a runaway report for you with local police and if you are found you typically would be returned home. What actions police take are dependent on their local polices, especially if you are close to turning 18. To learn more about how police would respond to your situation, you might try to call your local non-emergency police number and ask hypothetical questions about your situation. If police do take a report and you are found at your boyfriend's house he could be at risk of being charged with harboring a runaway if your guardians attempt to press charges.

    Depending on your situation, there might be additional options for you. Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you would like to talk through your situation and help with brainstorming additional options. We also can look for parenting resources in your area if that is something you are interested in.

    We truly wish you the best,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove