No announcement yet.

13 Year Old Daughter Ran Away

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 Year Old Daughter Ran Away

My 13 year old daughter has mental instability, we are working on getting her help, she took off on Sunday and it has been 5 days because I told her she could not babysit. We have gone through the necessary steps and went to emergency counselling, she was wanting to come home and tried to come home but where she's at the mother won't let her. The mother of the family that she's staying with thinks my daughter is perfect and doesn't want her to go, even though she has 5 daughters of her own. The mother has been told many times to butt out by many people, including the school, and continues to persuade/brainwash my daughter to stay even though she does not want to. I have called the authorities but they can't do anything. My daughter looks exhausted and sickly. Where do I go from here? How do I get her home when the laws work against me?
    Fighting to get my daughter home.

Reply: 13 Year Old Daughter Ran Away

Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline.

We are here to listen and help as best as we can. It sounds like you are going through a really tough time not having your youth home and being unsure of their safety. They are lucky to have someone that cares so much about them.

One of the first options that can be important to explore is contacting your local law enforcement to file a runaway report. We are not legal experts here, but typically it is not illegal to run away or leave home without permission. However, if a runaway report is filed, police that encounter a runaway youth will work to return them home when found.

Also, those that a reported runaway stays with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. Anyone found to be assisting or aiding someone to run away may also find themselves at risk legally. For more specifics on the law, you might consider contacting the local non-emergency number for the police. You might also look for a legal aid center in the area. They may be able to answer any legal questions on the subject.

If you would like to talk more in detail we are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take care,
    NRS

We hope that this information is helpful to you! We’d love to hear what you think about your experience with the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). If you have a moment, please click the link below our signature line to fill out a quick survey.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X