17 yr old Left with Boyfriend 2 months before 18th Birthday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 yr old Left with Boyfriend 2 months before 18th Birthday

Daughter left after getting caught sneaking out and later sneaking in her boyfriend into our home overnight. She left again and I didn't stop her. I didn't want to make things worse since she could legally leave at the beginning of May. I worry about where she lives. She was still contacting me but has been less and less.. it's only been two weeks. She sounds so angry when I talk to her. The boyfriend has been arrested before and use to be involved in drugs. I decided against purchasing her cell phone minutes in order to not make things easier on her. The times she has come home she drinks tea like she has no access to liquid and I allowed her to shower. The home she is in is shared by other young adult couples. She is pretty sure some are using drugs and believes she is safe from their issues since her and her 19 yr. old boyfriend are renting a room for 100 a month. I feel like she is being so stubborn that she won't admit if things get really bad. I just don't want her to get hurt. I am her mom. I feel like there is no right or wrong answer and at this point I'm just struggling to trust that she is okay out there.

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to listen and to support.

We're sorry to hear about everything that has been going on and want to thank you for reaching out to try to get help. It's understandable that you are scared for her and her future and want to be there for her. If you want to give us a call and talk to a liner to go through your options or talk about your feelings, we are always here. we can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Another group that you can reach out to is called Team H.O.P.E. (Help Offering Parents Empowerment) at 1-866-305-4673 or at missingkids.org/teamHOPE. There you could find support groups of other parents that are going through similar things as you or talk to someone about getting help coping and planning what you think you can do while she's away.

It's understandable that you don't want her to get hurt and it is obvious that you care a lot. Don't hesitate to reach out to Team H.O.P.E. or to us for more resources if you feel like you don't know where to turn.

Best,

NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X