No announcement yet.

My 15 yr old is runaway and out of control

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My 15 yr old is runaway and out of control

    My 15 yr old son ranaway and shows up long enough to bully me and steal stuff and leaves again. I tried to fill out a CHINS report and they said i couldnt because he was on probation. His probation officer wouldnt see me and wont return any of my calls. I want to put him into some kind of program but i have no clue how to get or who will take a unwilling teen. Im powerless and need help. What rights does a parent have? I know where he is right now but dont know what to do.

  • #2
    Hi there,
    We’re so sorry to hear that you’re struggling with your son. It sounds like you have tried just about everything you can to try to control his behavior. We want you to know that you are not alone. We are here to try to help you as best we can. One thing that we can encourage you to do is to call the police if you are not feeling safe in your house. Calling the police should violate his probation and get the attention of his probation officer. You can also try getting in contact with someone at Child Protective Services 1-800-422-4453 they might be able to help you find housing for your son until he is able to control his behavior. We want you to know that you are not powerless and you do have rights.
    Thanks again for reaching out to us, we know how difficult it can be to talk about these issues, and we’re always here to listen. 1-800-786-2929
    We wish you the best of luck,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      So Basiclly. I Have A Good Plan, But Im Not Sure If I'm Sure to run. If I Run, No One Will Care And When I Come Back They Will Leave Me (MY BFfs, Friends Ect.) If I Stay, I continue Getting unoticed And No Notice. I love My Parents, But I've Made A Mistake That Im Sure Cant Be Forgiven. I'm Not Sure What To Do. Please Put Me In CHINS Please


      • ccsmod10
        ccsmod10 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there,

        Thanks for reaching out to NRS through our forum. We appreciate the time you took to explain a bit about your situation. We hope our response will be of help.

        It sounds like you’re wanting to run away because you’re feeling unnoticed at home, which is definitely understandable. Everyone should feel wanted and loved at home. You mentioned that you’ve made a mistake recently. Everyone is human and makes mistakes. You deserve to be forgiven for your mistake, regardless of what it was. We do offer conference calling services, between youth and their parents. If you needed help talking to your parents about how you’ve been feeling and about the mistake you made, you can call into our safeline and we call together. You also asked about CHINS. That is a program that’s through the courts. Parents usually have to petition for that. Running away is not illegal, so you can’t be arrested for it. If you do runaway, your parents can call the police and make a runaway report. If the police come across you then they just take you home. If you do decide to runaway we can try to find runaway shelters in your area.

        We are always here to help you with the options we listed. Our safeline is 24/7, so don’t hesitate to call us! You’re not alone in this.

        Be safe, NRS
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp