No announcement yet.

Runaway from CPS in another state

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Runaway from CPS in another state

    A 16 year old who was living in Texas in foster care ran away to another state. I am willing to become her foster parent in GA. Can you offer any guidance on how to make that happen? The TX case worker says that she can only start the transfer if the child comes back to TX and turns herself in. Are there any other options?

  • #2
    RE: Runaway from CPS in another state


    Thanks for reaching out! It sounds like you really care about this youth and we are glad that you are trying to be there for her. We are not legal experts. If the case worker has said the youth has to go back to TX in order to be transferred into another state's care, then there may not be a way around that. To take some steps toward becoming a foster parent in the state of Georgia, you can Georgia DFCS foster care and adoption recruitment intake line at 877-210-KIDS. Hopefully they would be able to answer your question or get you started in the process. You may also find this website helpful: Another option could be to speak with a lawyer or attorney about your legal options. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can. Please don't hesitate to give us a call if you need to talk or need any resources, and feel free to give our number to the youth as well. We are wishing you the best of luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove