No announcement yet.

Please help no one will help

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Please help no one will help

    My 13yo old son WILL NOT go back to his mom's. He hates it there. Even is brother who lives there has told him everyone would be happier if you just left. Hi mom tells him all the time to go live with Dad. I'm trying to do this legally, BUT we are at a crossroads. He is refusing to go back and says he will leave and runaway if we take him. We have contacted dcfs tried for and emergency order of protection and have a lawyer but she can't do anything till next Monday morning at the soonest. What are his and my options for the next week. I have legal visitation till Wednesday.

    Please help

  • #2
    RE: Please help no one will help

    Thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like you’ve been having a difficult time with your son. You feel conflicted about what to do given he does not want to stay with you or his mom. You have tried many options, and it’s frustrating that nothing seems to be working out soon enough. We’re glad you reached out to us to learn more about your options.

    We are not legal experts, so you may want to consult with your lawyer about legal options you may have. Some things that may be helpful for you is to think about if your son refuses to stay with you, then if you are willing to let him stay with someone else you trust (e.g., grandparents, friends, other family members) temporarily until you have things planned out with your lawyer. You could also think about is there anyone he listens to that could get through to him and have him stay with you or his mom.

    Another option is to call us, and we could provide mental health resources for you in your area if your son is experiencing mental and emotional distress or if you would want family counseling. We also provide a service in which we can facilitate a conference call between you and your son. We would mediate the call, and it would allow you both to clearly express your concerns and feelings to each other in a safe space. This service is youth-initiated though, so your son would have to call us first in order for us to do the conference call with you.

    In regard to if your son does run away, you can contact your local police and file a runaway report. The act of running away isn't a crime, so your son wouldn’t be in trouble with the law. This just means that he would be returned to you if the police were to find him, or he could also be placed at a station until someone could pick him up. If you do happen to know where he is located, you could also send over the local police to check up on him and bring him back home. It is possible that you could also charge whoever he stays with for harboring a runaway which could result in other legal issues. We are not legal experts though, so you may want to call your local police to ask what your options are if your son runs away.

    Again, we’re really glad that you reached out to us. It takes a lot to ask for help and you are trying to figure out your options which is really good to see. If you would like to talk further about your situation, please do not hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us www.1800 We’re here to listen, here to help.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp