No announcement yet.

17 Year Old Son Left House

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son is 17 (won’t be 18 for 7 months) and refuses to stay home. He came home drunk/high from school 2 days in a row so we grounded him. He said he’s almost 18 and as long as he’s doing well in school it shouldn’t matter what he does. He leaves and I never know when he’s coming home. He’s never gone for more than a day or two but I’m worried the whole time. We packed up his room and said he won’t get any extras until he comes home and stays home. I know that locking him out is illegal but I’m not sure what to do at this point. I have 3 younger children watching this and seeing that my 17 year old just comes and goes as he pleases. Living with family isn’t an option. I’m not 100% sure where he goes. He’s been in trouble with the law and I simply don’t know what to do.

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time. It must be hard feeling like you have no control of what happens to your son. It sounds like you are doing the best you can to make sure he has some consequences for his actions but it isn’t working. There is a program in most states called Mins (Minors in need of Supervision) were you could ask for the court to intervene because he is out of control. It typically is for children under 18 so you have a short time to intervene. You could call us at 1800-Runaway and give us your city and state to see the protocol in your state to do the Mins program. It can be hard having a teen who is not listening around your other children at risk of them mimicking that same behavior. It may be a good idea to talk with everyone in the household to give an understanding of your expectations. You could also try counseling, maybe something is going on and that is why he is acting out. If you want some referrals for counseling services you can contact SAMHSA at 1800-662-HELP. If you want to talk to us about any more options you are considering feel free to reach out again. Best of luck with everything!
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X