13 year old runaway

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 year old runaway

Hello, my 13 year old ran away from specialized foster care placement sometime in the night on Friday, it is now Tuesday and no word. She had just been returned to this place after running and being gone for 5 days. I found her the last time she ran away. She has mental health issues and this is the reason for the placement and I agreed to it because she was supposed to be getting help. She was there for a few months and no treatment had been done. When they wanted to send her back this time I told everyone involved that in her current state of mind she would run again. The courts chose not to listen. She is also in legal trouble. I need help. I need to know what my options are on this when I feel the social workers involved are placing my child in danger, and neglecting the care I was promised for her. I also want to know about resources and what more I can do to try to find her since it feels that no one else cares. She ran from a remote area, and could be up in the mountains, or have hitchhiked to get back to a city. Any advice would be appreciated

Re: 13 year old runaway

Thanks so much for writing in and telling us a bit about what is going on. It sounds like you are dealing with a very difficult situation right now and that you are very concerned about your daughter who recently ran away. You mentioned that she ran from a placement and you feel as if she is not getting the proper care there. It certainly sounds like a frustrating situation especially when you feel like the people there to help her are not doing so.

It sounds like one of your main concerns is trying to get as many resources to help in regards to her missing status. Have you contacted the local police and made a runaway report with them or did the foster home make a report? That certainly is a good first option but there are a few other resources that work specifically with runaway/missing youth that may be good to contact as well.

National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) – 1-800-843-5678
    This is another organization that works specifically with runaway and missing youth. They also take runaway reports and can help with other services.

Operation Lookout – 1-800-782-7335
    Child Find – 1-800-426-5678
    These organizations don’t take reports but they are set up to help support those looking for runaway/missing youth. They can help with things such as poster and flyer distribution as well as working with police.

It also sounds like you are concerned about the type of care that your daughter is receiving. Have you looked into any other placements that may be helpful? Do you have anyone at the placement now that you feel you can talk with about your concerns?

It definitely sounds like you are very concerned for your daughter’s safety and we are so glad that you reached out to us. If you would like to discuss your situation more in depth or get any other specific resources you can always give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are available 24 hours a day and completely confidential. There is always someone available to listen, provide support, and even look up resources specifically in your area. We also have online services available through our website at www.1800runaway.org. Please feel free to reach out to us anytime. Take care.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X