Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re: re:15

Hi there,

Thanks for posting here and sharing your experience with us. It sounds like you've gone through some similar things that some people that have posted here have been through. It seems like reaching out to counselors and other people in your life was helpful to you. That's great to hear. And that you've taken your experiences and worked toward helping and supporting folks. That's certainly admirable for sure.

Know that we are here to support you in any way we can, 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are also available through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm Central Time. We look forward to your call or chat.

Best of luck to you with everything,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Help destiney

I'm 15 my mom will sign the papers can I emancipate myself

Comment

Re: help destiney

Hello,
        Thank you for reaching out to NRS. We are here to help the best that we can.
        We are not legal experts here, but generally speaking the emancipation process can be long and expensive. You said that your mom would sign the papers, is there any other family that you could live with until you’re ready to live on your own?
        We’d like to talk to you more about what’s been going on that is making you want to get emancipated. You are always welcome to call into our hotline at 1800 RUNAWAY (786 2929), we are available 24/7, anonymous and confidential or you can talk to us on chat which is open 4:30pm to 11:30pm Central Time. We hope to hear from you soon.

Good luck,

NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

15 year old thinking of running away

So I am 15 an I live in New Jersey. I hve a boyfriend and we've been talking about leaving. I haven't had a great life and neither has he. I cut, never eat and I'm neve happy. I take depression pills and i still can't seem to be happy. Except when I'm with my boyfriend. Him and I have everything planned out and I couldn't be more excited. I mean I was adopted and I never feel like I'm good enough here. My mom is always making comments about my weight or body or clothes. Kids mak fun of me everyday in school to the point I tried killin myself. WAY TO MANY TIMES. I think that leaving would just be better. My boyfriend and I want to go to NYC and then we had train tickets to go to Florida. We packed and have money and have everything figured out. Am I being stupid by leaving? I know it's selfish but I just never get to see my boyfriend and he's the only person/thing that makes me happy. Is this stupid?

Comment

RE: 15 year old thinking of running away

Hi Natalie,

Thank you for posting on the National Runaway Safeline bulletin board. It was brave of you to reach out and share your story. It sounds like you've had a difficult time in life. We're sorry to hear that you're being made fun of and feel like killing yourself.

Have you ever considered reaching out to the National Suicide Hotline? They are a resource that could provide you support when you're feeling like killing yourself. Their number is 1-800-273-TALK (8255). We're also always available to listen when you need to talk in any type of crisis. We here at the National Runaway Safeline are definitely not here to judge you for wanting to leave. Instead, we'd like to help you consider your options. Where would you and your boyfriend go in Florida? What are your plans? Do you have a plan B if plan A doesn't work out?

If you'd like to discuss what's going on and help talk through your thoughts about leaving, please feel free to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are available on our safeline 24/7. Or you can chat with us from 4:30 to 11:30 pm Central time by going to www.1800runaway.org and clicking the red button in the upper corner. We hope to hear from you soon.

Best of luck,

NRS

Comment

help

I'm 15 and living in Texas and have been thinking about running away. My mom is currently living in another home and my father and older brother are both bipolar. I'm constantly threatened to be hit and killed by my brother and my father although he doesn't get as mad as much will shove and slap me and call me names like ********** and idiot I'm applying for a job...If I can get a place to stay and show that I'm able to care for myself can I get emancipated?

Comment

Re: Help

Hello,

We are extremely sorry to hear about the extreme situation you are undergoing at home. You absolutely do not deserve to be physically assaulted, called names, or threatened – that’s just not acceptable and is a violation of your rights. You can always dial 911 if you are harmed or threatened with harm.

Another option you always have is to make a child abuse report within the state of Texas by calling 1-800-252-5400. If you’d like, we can make a report on your behalf. But only you can judge whether you think this will help your situation or not. We never tell anyone what to do.

Emancipation is usually a lengthy legal process. You must be at least 16 years old to file for emancipation in Texas. You also must be financially independent and able to take care of yourself.

We’d like to know a little bit more about your situation in order to help you out. The best thing to do would be to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (800-786-2929). We are here 24/7 and are totally confidential and anonymous. We can provide legal resources that would better answer your questions on emancipation and discuss further how you can be safe and figure out what your options are. We also have Live Chat available from 4:30pm-11:30pm Central Time. Live Chat can be entered by clicking the red button on the top right of our main page at www.1800runaway.org.

Again, we are sorry you are going through this. Things can get better, though. We hope to hear from you!

Comment

trapped

i am 15 years old i live in hawaii theres not much places i can go to hide here cause eventually ill get caught. I want to get emancipated and live on my own already, i mean thats how i am everyday anyway but yet when i come home its even lonelier like the loneliness intensifies as soon as i step in that door i thought a home was supposed to make you feel better i thought its where you go when you need comfort when you need company and most of all when you need love but at mine i never had none of the above i practically get yelled at for every single thing i have ever done even when i try too say something good like i got an award it always turns around until i end up being the one who gets yelled at and somtimes beaten up i hate it there i have chores but no one else that lives there has them clean everything everyones room the kitchen the bathroom the living room outside and i wash fold dry hang up and put away everyones clothes i think its kind of like being in that movie called the help mostly because im the only colored one there im adopted the person i call my mother says she was my god parent friends with my grandma who frankly died when i was 1yrs old my mother said she hated my birth mom she said that she blames my birth mom for my grandmas death she told me this long story about how my birth mom slept with my grandmas fiance'e and when he did not give her money she told my grandma that he raped her i dont know how my birth mom looks like cause she died just 4 months ago she never gotten a funeral i couldnt even see her i dont know how my real father could he be my late grandmothers fiance'e ill never know im to scared to ask mother cause im afraid what she might do to me or worse tell me im just wondering why she left me why didnt she keep me am i really what my foster father tells me everyday im done trying to act like everythings okay but its not im done being called those terrible things im done getting hurt phisically and mentally done with the way they look at me like im a monster an unwanted invader i hate my life i sometimes want to end it but mostly just to have control over it and to take adventures of my own and not have to depend on the people who makes me feel so dead and trapped.

Comment

RE: trapped

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It was brave of you to share your story with us on our bulletin boards. It sounds like there is abuse going on at home. You do not deserve to be hit or beat. Have you ever considered reporting the abuse? We can help you with that process, if that interests you. We're sorry to hear that living at home is so difficult.

It sounds like you're interested in emancipation or leaving home. We're not legal experts at NRS, but we can give you some general information. Unfortunately, in Hawaii, there is no emancipation unless you are married, which requires parental permission. If you were to leave home, do you have somewhere safe to go? We can help you brainstorm some safe places to stay. We have a large database of youth shelters, if that interests you.

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here: http://www.nrschat.org:88/chat/UserP...&d=&u=&bypass=

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NRSOnlineServicesSurvey

Comment

Iam 15 Live In The State Of Indiana Can I Be Emancipated?

Hello , Iam 15 years old i live in the state of Indiana. I would like to be emancipated my mother has whooped me with belts told me to fight her and have grabbed me by the ponytail and hit me in the head. Is there anyway i can get emancipated ? I have to get out of this situation it isnt safe

Comment

RE: Iam 15 Live In The State Of Indiana Can I Be Emancipated?

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through so much right no. You do not deserve to be whooped with belts and in an environment that does not love, respect, and support you.

There are a very few ways to legally leave the home. One way would, as you had mentioned, is emancipation. This is a process where you go to court and petition to be legally separated from your guardians. This can often take time and money. Typically you must also prove that you can provide for yourself financially as well. Another way to leave without getting yourself or others in trouble is to be removed from the home by Child Protective Services. The first step is to report the abuse that has been going on. Sometimes they will remove you and place you with foster care. Other times they will open an investigation that may continue on for weeks while they look into the allegations. Usually CPS will not let you stay with a family or friend.

Another option is to leave the home without permission. In this case, it can be difficult because you are a minor, many agencies and shelters will have to notify your parents that you are using their services.

I hope that helped and was able to clarify some of your questions. We encourage you to call us at 18007862929 or chat with us every day from 4:30-11:30pm so we can better support you. We look forward to hearing from you.

Comment

Emancipation?

Hi, I am 15 years old and live in California. I am currently living with my mother and grandmother. My older brother recently passed away due to drug addiction, this has of course caused a lot of stress at home. I do not get along with my mother or grandmother, they are constantly putting me down and are emotionally abusive . It is already difficult to cope with the loss of my brother and on top of that i am constantly fighting with my mother & grandmother. I am also not allowed to go out much so i am stuck with them. I have tried talking to them and telling them how i feel several times and have suggested family therapy, but nothing has helped. I do not feel as if i can handle living under the same roof as them and would like to be emancipated. I have thought of any other possible choices but most of my family lives out of the country, and my father is not around. I do have a friend who's parents are willing to take me in, and give me a room while I stay in school and work part time. Because i am 15 and a resident of California, I am wondering if i can be granted emancipation under my circumstances. If I do not get granted , I have thought of resorting to running away, what could be the conciquences of doing so?

Comment

RE: Emancipation?

Hi,

Thanks for contacting us. I’m really sorry to hear about your brother passing away and all the family troubles you have been having recently. This is obviously a really tough time for you, but you seem like you are trying to come up with healthy solutions and handling it as best as you can, which shows just how mature and responsible you are.
                            You asked about emancipation in California. Here at NRS, we aren’t legal experts, but I can give you a little bit of information about emancipation just off of the California Courts website (http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-emancipation.htm). According to that resource, in order to be emancipated you must be at least 14 years old, your parents must be ok with you moving out, you must be able to handle you own money, and have a legal way to make money, and a court has to decide that emancipation is a good option for you. It is a legal process and would probably take a bit of time and could get expensive. But again, we aren’t experts here. One number that you might want to try for a bit more information would be Legal Services for Children: 415-863-3762 or 1-888-292-4252, they should be able to answer your questions more specifically than we can.

You also mentioned that if emancipation doesn’t work out then you might runaway. Well, running away isn’t illegal, it’s just a status offence. So, what that means is, if you leave home without your parent’s permission, they can then file a runaway report with the police. That then labels you as a runaway. The police then may or may not go out looking for you, policies vary with each police department. However, if you encounter the police in any way and they run your name, they will see that you are a runaway and usually the biggest consequence is that they return you home. Obviously, if you are on probation or are caught doing anything illegal, those consequences may be greater. Of course, that’s not super specific, but one way you can get a more concrete answer about how your local police department handles runaways is to call the non-emergency number and ask them hypothetically or anonymously how they would deal with someone in your situation.

If that isn’t something you are comfortable doing on your own, you can always call our hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), and we can make that call for you. We are here 24/7 and can also just talk to you about what you’re going through, try and come up with a plan for how to deal with your situation, and provide resources that might be helpful (legal, counselling, shelter…). You can also chat with us on our website, www.1800runaway.org, everyday 4:30pm – 11:30pm CST.

NRS

Comment

15 and need emancipated

Hi I'm 15 living in Califorina and need to be emancipated. My mom is going back to her abusive husband soon and after two years of verbal and almost physical abuse I need to make sure I get out. Currently I don't have a job because my mom is on SSI and if get a job she loses that income. I would be absolutely willing to get a job. I basically already live by myself considering my mom is always gone with her husband. Even if I don't afford an apartment I already know people that have said that they are willing to help me until I get in my own two feet. PLEASE HELP!!!

Comment

re: 15 and need emancipated

Hey there,

Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, it seems like you are going through a pretty tough time at this point in your life and we are glad that you are able to come to us. It might be hard to reach out for help sometimes and we are glad you did, it shows your maturity and how you are willing to seek help for yourself.

We’re sorry that your situation at home is not that great, no one ever deserves to be treated the way you have been and we want you to know that if at any point you ever feel unsafe or if your mother is in an unsafe situation, you can always call 911.

Unfortunately, we are not legal experts here so we would not be able to accurately say what the process of emancipation would be like, but we can share some general information. So, in most states, you have to be 16 in order to be emancipated, this is also something that would have to be taken to court. If your guardian agrees to this process, then it would normally take about 1 month, but if your mother disagrees, then it would take about 6 months. The requirements to be emancipated are usually being able to provide for yourself financially and to have your own place. But as I mentioned, we are not legal experts, but I have provided you with some numbers below where you would be able to call and ask some general questions:

LEGAL SERVICES FOR CHILDREN
                                Phone number: 415-863-3762
                                Toll free: 1-888-292-4252

We are here 24/7 and would be more than happy to talk to you about your situation or provide you with any resources you might need. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY, we also have a live chat service that is available from 4:30 PM to 11:30 PM CST. We wish you the best of luck in whatever it is you decide to do and hope to hear from you soon.

Stay strong,

NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X