No announcement yet.

15 year old runaway seeking emancipation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do I emancipated my self with my mom help at 16 ?

Hello Im I6 years old I live in buffalo new York and my dad keep using me to fight with my mom and take her to court so I can live with him and my mom don't want my dad to have custody of me and im sick of the fighting over me and my child support and I want to be emancipated and my mom is willing to emanicpate me to stop the court fighting over me but buffalo new York don't have emancipated law what can I do to emancipate my self with my mom help in buffalo new York?
    Last edited by ccsmod6; 01-13-2014, 04:16 AM. Reason: confidentiality

Comment

re: how do I emancipated my self with my mom help at 16 ?

Hi

Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like your parents are in a custody battle and you would like to get emancipated to end it. It seems like being stuck in the middle of that is probably emotionally draining. It sounds like you have discussed emancipation with your mother and she is supportive of it. Unfortunately there is no formal statue for emancipation in the state of New York. However it seems that a minor who is at least 16 years old may still be able to seek it. Since we do not have a legal background, we cannot tell you the exact steps you will need to take. The following agencies are located within in the state and may be able to assist: Brookhaven Youth Bureau, 631-654-7878 and Dutchese County Youth Services, 845-486-3665.

If you have any additional questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We are available 24/7 and can be reached by dialing 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Our hotline is toll-free, confidential, and anonymous. We can also be reached via live chat between 4:30pm and 11:30pm CST.

Best Wishes
      ~NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I cant do this anymore !

Ive been raped and no one believed me (which was four years ago which happened for a 1year ) i really want to live with my grandmother she isn't my blood but she as been there since i was a week old and never went away i wish to work things out but i cant keep this up im going to end up dead or dumb which either way my future is gone wrong my grandmother isn't my real grandmother she is my grandfather ex wife and has never treated me different i want to runway i live in Texas and im 15 what would be my consequences ? Im a very smart girl . My father is a drug deal so i know there is no way i could live with him but he really good to me . My boyfriend wants to help and i thought maybe if i live with him for a while my mom would put me up for adopt and my grandmother could come in . But i really dont want anyone to get in trouble for my doing because my life i pray everyday and its seems life doesn't work always that way . I really want a bright future and rape , bring different men in an out the house , surrounded by drugs, getting beat with any object . Is not the way. Please Help !

Comment

Thank you for reaching out to us and telling us a bit about what is going on. It sounds like you have gone through some really difficult times and it was very brave of you to reach out to us about this. You asked a lot of really good legal questions and we definitely want to help you but unfortunately, we aren’t legally trained here so we are unable to give you concrete information. What we can do is try to help you find other resources such as legal aid or shelter if you need to leave home in an emergency.

You mentioned that you had been raped and that it had happened over the course of a year. Have you ever talked with anyone else about that? There is a hotline, RAINN, that is available 24 hours a day if you would like to reach out to them; there phone number is 1-800-656-4673. You also said that nobody had believed you when you told them about it. We are sorry to hear that, everyone deserves to feel safe and secure when they are at home. You said that your dad is a drug dealer and while he is good to you, you don’t feel safe around him. Do you live with mom or dad? It also sounds like you have really good support from your boyfriend and your grandma; it’s great that you have some forms of support in those people. Have you talked with both of them about being raped?

It sounds like your grandma has been in your life since you were a baby and you want to go live with her because you feel safe there. It also sounds like if you leave, your mom will file a runaway report, is that correct? Now, we aren’t legally trained here so we can’t say for sure what would happen if you were to go but we can give you a general idea. Since it sounds like your mom and dad are your legal guardians, they may have the option to file a runaway report with the local police. In most states, running away is considered to be a status offense which is something you can’t do while under the age of 18 so if the police located you, they may either take you home or to the department to call your parents. You had said that your boyfriend wants to help so you thought you could stay with him and that your mom would eventually put you up for adoption. Have you talked with your mom about wanting to go live with your grandma?

Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we are a confidential and anonymous crisis line for youth; you can reach us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our online chat services from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST), 7 days a week if you would rather talk with us that way.

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck!

~NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

can i leave and it be ok

I'm 17. I live in the state Mississippi. I live with my mother hut she doesn't have custody of me. Can I leave or would i have to go to legal stuff. I ran away before and they called the cops. ever since I heen scared the cops are going to pick me up

Comment

RE: 15 year old runaway seeking emancipation

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to us during this difficult time. It sounds like you are facing some difficulty at home and are worried about getting in trouble. Just to let you know, we are not legal experts. However we can try and explain what we know about the runaway laws.

Technically it's not against the law for you to run away from home. In most places it is considered a status offence (which is like a parking ticket). However, anyone you would be caught staying with could possibly be charged with 'harboring a runaway'. The best way to get the most direct answer would be to contact your local law enforcement and ask what would happen. One way to leave legally without getting anyone else in trouble would be to look into emancipation. This is a process where you petition the courts to legally live on your own.

If you would like to discuss this further, we can be reached at any time at 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929) or by live chat at www.1800runaway.org from 4:30pm-11:30pm Central Standard Time. We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.

- NRS

Comment

14 year old wanting to go to different state

I'm 14 and I live in Arizona,I'm trying to go to new york from arizona but if I did would it be possible to attend school or anything in the new state if I were to have friends who are 18+ to be there? I really need to get out of my family situtation, New York is the only place I can think of, if not new york than california. Also, if I take money out of a debit card from an atm would I be charged with stealing as well as running away?

Comment

RE: 14 year old wanting to go to different state

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS and we are sorry to hear about your situation at home. It sounds like you have been going through a difficult time. You have some really good and important questions and we are glad you are able to reach out to us and hope the following helps.

First off we want to let you know that we are not legal experts so we are not able to answer your questions from a specific perspective but from a more general perspective instead. If you are interested in speaking to someone with more legal knowledge you can reach out to the Children's Law Center at 602-258-3434 who provide free legal advice for teens in Arizona. In general however, everyone has a right to education so if you are in New York you do have the right to go to school. If you are homeless and you go to a public high school and tell them that you are homeless, they have to give you a desk. It is likely that the school will want to contact your legal guardians and require their information at some point however. Do you have family in New York or California who may be able to help with this process?

As for your question regarding taking money out of a debit card from an ATM, taking money that is not yours in any form is considered stealing. If you are taking the money from your parents generally it would be up to them to decide whether or not they would press charges.

If you would like to talk more about your options or have any questions please feel free to call anytime at 1-800-RUNAWAY or use our online chat option from 4:30 - 11:00 PM Central time to discuss these options further. NRS is an anonymous and confidential hotline and here to help in any way possible!

We look forward to your call or chat.

Best of luck to you,

NRS

Comment

Help

I am 14 and my mom died unexpectedly last October and I have to live with my dad now. My mom and dad divorced when I was seven. My dad has an extremely short temper and yells at me and constantly curses me out for no reason and puts me down. He also doesn't let me see the rest of my family. I tried to run away to my aunt's yesterday but all that happened was the cops came by and took me back home because my dad wanted me there. When I got back and I asked why he asked for me to come back he said because I WAS GROUNDED! I've told him how I feel and he said he doesn't care. I have lost the will to live. I need to get emancipated or I will join my mother. I am 14 and live in Arizona. Help me please!!!

Comment

Help

It sounds like you are in such a difficult situation and we appreciate you reaching out and sharing a bit of your story. We are sorry to hear about your mother’s death and it sounds like you are really having a hard time living with your father and he is not supportive at all. You mentioned that you recently tried to go and stay with your aunt but your father called the police and made you return home. Is your aunt a good support for you at this time?

It sounds like this is really starting to take its toll on you and you mentioned that you would like to get emancipated or “you will join your mother.” Are you currently having any thoughts of death or hurting yourself? If that is something you need to talk with someone about you can always call the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255).

It also sounds like you are trying to get information on emancipation in your area. As far as we know you usually have to be at least 16 to try and file for emancipation. In order to get more information about this process and see what your options may be available, it could be good to look into some legal aid services. One number you can try is the Southern Arizona Legal Aid at 520-316-8076. One thing that may be another option to look into is possibly checking with another relative that may be able to get custody. Again that would be a legal process and something they would probably have to talk with a lawyer or the courts about.

Please know that we are also here for you if you would like to talk more in depth about your situation. It sounds like you are in a really tough spot and there is always someone here to support you. If you would like to contact us immediately you can always reach out to our 24 hour hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We also have a live chat available from 4:30p to 11:30p CST. All of our services are completely confidential and anonymous and we can talk with you about further options and even find helpful resources in your area. There is always someone here to listen and here to help.

Comment

I need to leave

Okay so I'm 16 I was born in California , I was raised in Illinois. My mom won't else the state I've begged her and begged her I want to start new and I can't take it anymore there are so many problems over here and I just need to leave. I need to know how much money I need , what I can do so I can continue school and if I can possibly get an apartment or something. I can't do this and I really want to leave I've been wanting to leave for awhile ;-;

Comment

Re: I need to leave

Hello,

We're glad you felt comfortable enough to share your situation with us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in the middle of a difficult situation right now. You mentioned that you've begged your mom to start new, but she won't leave the state which we imagine is frustrating. It sounds like you are seriously considering leaving and are trying to think about things like how much money you would need, school, and housing arrangements. While we cannot make the decision for you, we can help you go over your plan and hopefully come up with some safe options.

If you would like to continue going over your situation, we encourage you to try reaching out to us directly. You can either use our Live Chat every day from 4:30 to 11:30pm CST (red button at http://www.1800runaway.org) or by call 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) 24/7. Best of luck!

-NRS

Comment

I need some advice-SV

Hello, I'm 18 and im considering moving out of my parents house for various reasons, but I really need advice. My niece and her 2 close friends are having trouble at home and they want to runaway and live with me? If I do take then with me, will I get arrested for sheltering them as runaways? Can they still go to a new school? What will happen if they get caught? I really need help, I know because of my age im not considered a runaway but they will, they're only 12,12,and 13. please help.

Comment

Re: I need some advice SV

Thank you for reaching out to us. We really appreciate the fact that you are trying to help your niece and their close friends who clearly see you as someone they can trust. A few problems can arise from them living with you. Just as you mentioned, if runaway reports were made by the parents of the niece and friends, then the police could charge you with "harboring a runaway". These charges differ depending on the local police department. One option we typically suggest is giving your non-emergency police number a call and anonymously ask about the laws in your area surrounding runaway youth and harboring a runaway. In terms of school, this may also depend on the local police department. A majority of the time, parent consent is required to register a youth in school. With that said, the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act which ensures that homeless youth can attend school. McKinney-Vento resources might be able to help you further with questions around whether these kids can get into a new school as runaways. For your question about what happens if they get caught - running away is a status offense which means it is not illegal and will most likely not go on a permanent record. What can sometimes happen is when the youth is found, the police will have them in a database due to a runaway report, and will be required to return them back to their home.

You mentioned that your niece and friends are having trouble at home. If you are suspicious of child abuse or neglect, you have the option of filing an abuse report with the police or with the abuse line for your state. At the National Runaway Safeline, we are "mandated reporters" meaning that if you were to call us on our 24 hour hotline number and tell us about abuse going on in the children's home and provide identifying information of the abuser, we would be required to make a report with the police.

We want to help you in any way that we can to make sure that you understand more about how to handle this situation and to make sure that your niece and friends feel safe. If you feel comfortable, you can also give the children our information so that they can discuss their feelings of wanting to run away and we can directly provide them resources. You can reach us through our hotline at 1-800-RUN-AWAY, our online chat found through our website at www.1800RUNAWAY.org or through email.

Good luck!

Comment

Re: 15

"Hi, I'm currently 15 years old and i won't be 16 for another 4 months......"

Hi, I am also in a very similar situation. I just recently left my house (and then it burnt down a week later), but having been in a similar situation I have a suggestion. Instead of getting emancipated perhaps trying switching the guardianship. You'll have to research the laws in your state but where I am you are able to go and live with someone else, after you sign a bunch of papers and turn them into the court. Getting emancipated is much more difficult. If you can hang in there for a few more months I suggest you do so, it'll be a lot easier. If (when you turn 16) you still are unable to get emancipated, then contact your school counselor because they can help you. In many states there is an option to be put in a half way house type of thing. I can't be of much help but if you need anymore help I run a teen support group on fb called "Hope Destroys and Saves All", if you ever need anyone to talk too, we are there. Also if you are having suicidal thoughts you can always call 1-800-SUICIDE. Please stay strong,

a friend

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X