No announcement yet.

15 year old runaway seeking emancipation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

15 Year old seeking emancipation help in Pennsylvania.

I'm 15, and wont be 16 for another few months. There are many reasons why i am looking for emancipation as a solution for my situation at this moment. I have a steady job, and the support of my father. I've been Homeschooled the entirety of my life, and i feel unsafe mentally, and physically around my mother. She is a irrational religious being, that i cannot reason with. I'm a homosexual female, and this is only a small reason behind why i feel i need to leave my household. If i were to reveal to my mom about my sexuality, or if she were to find out by accident, i fear the outcome. She emotionally abuses me, so it makes it difficult to seek help through CYF. She rarely physically attacks me, but it does happen. When frustrated with me she uses my education against me ( because i am homeschooled) she will refuse to teach me or put me in school. I try my best to reason with her logically to resolve our disputes, but she is irrational and it fails. I believe she suffers from a severe mental issue, but she wont seek help to resolve that either. I'm not allowed to ever leave the house, or to interact socially with my peers. I hate to complain about that, but it really does affect my mental well being to be stuck in a house with a woman who blatantly tells me she hates me. I feel like i am suffering from circumstantial depression, and when i try to tell her i am unhappy, her solution is that it's my fault, and to cast my problems on the lord or else i will be miserable forever, and end up in hell for having bad character. I have a living situation set up if i were able to legally leave my home, and like i said, i have a well paying and steady job. I don't feel like i should have to wait another three years to be happy, or to be myself. I support myself financially already, i buy my own food, clothing, etc. She doesn't support me in a motherly manner other than her over the top disciplinary measures, and emotionally devastating lectures. Everyday is a struggle, and i consider every moment of the day to just leave anyway and be on the run the rest of my life. But first i would like to try to resolve this legally before such a drastic measure. I am not even in charge of my own body, merely because i am of a certain age group. I hate being trapped only because i am a minor, and i cant control anything about my life.
    Thank you for reading such a long post.
    - B

Comment

RE: 15 Year old seeking emancipation help in Pennsylvania.

Hi B,

Thanks for posting here tonight. Wow it sounds like you’re going through so much right now. It is really smart of you to reach out for some support. You absolutely do not deserve to be made to feel less than by your mom. She is wrong to treat you this way. You’re right that you should be able to be yourself and you have every right to be supported in who you are. It sounds like you’re scared of your mom and trying to figure out ways to protect yourself. So let’s see how we can help you out tonight.

You mentioned that you’re interested in getting emancipated. So we aren’t legal experts here, but we are able to speak about emancipation in general. In most states, you need to be 16 and you would need the consent of at least one parent. Often you would need to prove to the courts that you are able to care for yourself and live independently of your parents (which it sounds like you do!). Here's a link to more information regarding emancipation in PA: (http://www.bostoncoop.net/lcd/emanci...l#PENNSYLVANIA). Another resource that might be helpful for you would be the Youth Law Center. They are a national hotline and may be able to speak with you about how to move forward with emancipation in your state. You can contact them at 415-534-3379.

Another number that might be helpful to you is the GLBT National Hotline. This hotline is staffed by people that might have some common experiences as you. They might be a good support for you while you go through this difficult time.
      If you’d like to talk more or to talk through other options you can call us 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are completely anonymous and confidential. If you can’t call in, you can chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm Central Time.

It’s an incredible thing to fight for your well-being and we are here to help support you do this. You can contact us for anything that you might need.

We wish you the best of luck,

NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I need to be emacipated please help

im 15 years old. Im adopted but need to get out of there.i have 6 other brothers and sisters. Last year my adopted dad sexually asulted me. I resently told the cops about it about 3 weeks ago. I then ran away. I went to a safe house... called the river have. from there they called CPS. I told CPS what happened but they said there was not enough evidence so they could not do anything about it. from there I knew that I could not do anything and they were going to send me back after the 30 days at River Haven was up. I get scared that my adopted dad is hurting my little sister. one time he CPS was called on my daughters parent because my adoptive dad hit my doctor brother. there is 9 people living in that house and there was not enough food to go around but cps said as long as there was an eggs and milk in the house but it was sufficient I told my step dad my real mother's husband what had happened with the doctor dad and he called the cops and they said that they thought that I was lying because he wanted us home. I live in New York and I do believe that I could get emancipated at age 16 I am turning 16 October 15. I wonder if you could help me to get amancipated before they find me. I currently am hiding out so I don't have to go back there. I am scared for my life. my adopted mom does not believe me but he did this to me my adoptive mother niese was raped by him. please help me I need to be emancipated please

Comment

RE: I need to be emacipated please help

Hi there,

Thanks for posting here tonight. Wow it sounds like you’ve been through so much. You are incredibly brave for having put up with all of this. It’s clear that you have taken many steps to try and protect yourself. It seems like you are doing what you can to make sure that you are safe. That’s impressive. We want to make sure that we can help you out the best we can.

Now we aren’t legal experts here, so unfortunately I can’t tell you what you would need to do in order to get emancipated. If you’d like you can call this legal aid resource and they can talk more fully with you about steps that you need to take. The legal aid resource is BROOKHAVEN YOUTH BUREAU and their phone number is 631-654-7878. So hopefully they can give you some support with emancipation.

In the meantime, you mentioned that you are scared for your life. We want to make sure that you have your basic needs taken care of while you try to figure out how to get emancipated. You can call us 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you need anything at all. We are completely anonymous and confidential. That means we are not going to tell anyone who you are or even if you called (we wouldn’t even know your name unless you tell us). If you can’t call in, you can chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm Central Time.

You have support through us. You deserve to be safe. So you can call us at anytime for anything. We look forward to your call.

Best of luck to you,

NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

15 1/2 runaway

hi Im 15 1/2 from California and im planning to runaway. my home environment is full of screaming and yelling half the time. its very stressful and depressing..especially when everyone's yelling at you saying what are you stupid?! and I hate you your an ungrateful little **********!! things like this have made me depressed and I do cut myself.
            im totally and completely done with my life. i want to runaway and start over new..on my own.
            here are my questions:
            where can i go with out the cops getting me?
            are there programs that can help me leave my city and live somewhere else with the cops or my parents knowing?
            can i get emancipated at my age without parent consent?..if so please explain how. please help!

Comment

RE: 15 1/2 Runaway

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through a really tough time right now. No one deserves to be treated badly at home. You said that you are depressed and that you self-injure. That must be terrible. It is understandable why you would want to leave this situation. We are here to listen and support you in any way we can.

You asked where you can go without the cops getting you. If you run away, you risk being found by the cops. In California, the police can take a runaway youth into custody and return them to the custody of their legal guardians within 24 hours, but you won’t be charged with a crime if all you did is run away. If you stay with someone who tries to hide you or obstruct a police investigation, they might be charged with a crime for harboring a runaway.

You asked if there are programs that can help you leave your city and live somewhere else. There are not any legal programs that assist kids in running away. You might be able to stay in a homeless youth shelter for as much as 48 hours before the shelter contacts your guardians; however, most shelters are required to contact your guardians immediately before they provide any services to you. If you are being abused or neglected at home, you might be placed into foster care.
              You also asked about emancipation. In the state of California, for a judge to declare a minor emancipated, the minor:
              o Must be at least fourteen years old.
              o Must be living apart from parents with their consent or acquiescence.
              o Must be managing finances and have a legal source of income.
              o The judge must find that emancipation is in best interest.
              o The judge also wants to see that minor is in school or has a GED.

There are a couple of other questions you might want to consider before you leave. You said that you want to start over somewhere new and on your own. This is a really big step. We’re glad that you contacted us to ask questions: that is really smart of you. If you run away from home, do you have a plan for how you will survive? Do you know where you will find shelter, food, and clothes? What will you do for money? You might think about staying with a friend or relative for a while, or talking to your parents to see if they might consent for you to live somewhere else.

If you are interested in making a child abuse report, seeing a counselor, or getting resources for people who cut, you can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are open 24/7 and we can help you find resources. If you are interested in emancipation, we can help you find legal resources and explain how the process works. You can also contact us through our live crisis chat from this website between the hours of 4:30pm and 11:30pm Central Standard time. It sounds like you are going through so much right now, and we would like to help you find some help. We are looking forward to hearing from you and discussing your options in further detail.

Best of Luck,

NRS

Comment

Im 15 and i just dont feel comfortable in my moms house

Okay, my mom has her boyfriend that she's been with for 6 years, and me and him have bad history together, ive been through cps , I've ranaway several times because he use to beat me when I was a kid, and I've been living with family members ever since I was about 13, but sometimes my mom would come get me and tell me to come home nowwith her bf and iI just never liked him because he always treated me like shot and use to beat me everyday because he thought I use to lie every damn day when I didn't! He's been to jail for abusing me but my mom would always tell me to tell cps and cops that I was just mad and that he never hit me, then he would get out of jail early and cps would drop the case, this happed 3 times, and cops have delt with me for constantly runing away, and this one time I ranaway when my mom and her boyfriend came to pick me up and go back home with them one night and obese living with my uncle's and grandparents during the time and my family try to talk to them saying that I didn't want to go back home cause of my moms bf, and then I just went to the backyard and hop the wall and ranaway, then eventually my mom and him came looking for me and caught me but I just didn't get in the car to go home so they called the cops, then the cops talked to me and my situation about why I don't want to be home, and they understood but since I didn't feel safe going back home they brought me to this place for runaways , and the cops even told me that I could even move out when I'm 15. I was 13 at the time now I'm 15 and living back with them and he still is mean to me buy doesn't hit me, he's just mean, like everything I say and try to talk about to him he has something mean to say like I'm annoying or he's pissed and tells me to just drop it and stop talking. So I'm just wondering if I can move with my other family memebers now that I'm 15 and the cop told me "hell you could even move when your 15." So yeahi just don't want to be here anymore and want to move with another family member, I talked my family members and they said yeah I can move with them.. I live in Nevada. I do not feel home nor comfortable being in this house with him

Comment

RE: 15 year old runaway seeking emancipation

Hello there,

Thank you for being brave enough to reach out to us and tell us your story. We are sorry to hear you are being abused; nobody deserves to be abused or made to feel unsafe in their own home! It sounds like child protective services have been involved before and have not been has helpful as you would like, or helped you leave the dangerous situation you are in. Just to let you know, we are also ‘mandated reporters’. This means that even though we are confidential and anonymous, we are required by law to report to law enforcement any child abuse we are told about. Teachers and school counselors are also mandated reporters if you needed to report with them as well.

It sounds like you have a family member who is willing to take you in. There are several ways to legally leave home without running away. If your mom is willing to let you go to a relatives and have them assume guardianship or become your legal guardian, that is an option. Another option would be to look into emancipation. This can be a long process through the court system that can sometimes take time and money. We would be happy to put you contact with a lawyer who may be able to help you.

Although we cannot tell you what you should or should not do, we want you to know that you have the right to be safe. We have a large database of information available including counseling, legal aid resources and lists of shelters available. If you felt comfortable calling us, we could help you explore other options and come up with a solid plan. We can be reached at any time at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or by live chat at www.1800runaway.org from 4:30pm-11:30pm Central Standard Time. We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.

- NRS

Comment

Possible to run away....?

Mine may sound selfish and wrong and in some ways it is :/
                    I feel suffocated by my parents and me and my ex are thinking of getting back together and running away. I love him but I wonder if his reason is more selfish than mine... I don't know if I should run away with him or to not because, if I were to run away I'd be leaving behind my parents, siblings and everyone else in my life to be with my ex, who's currently 15. I'm a 16 year old female who is utterly confused and actually considering my ex's offer. My family doesn't abuse me or do anything wrong to me but, I love him and if I were to wait to be with him after highschool my family might not let me be with my ex or approve of him. My ex and I have gone through a lot and both of us are depressed and other things but. Again I don't know if running away with him to his family's home would be a bad choice, especially since I wouldn't be able to go to school or do anything with out my "legal" guardians consent. I know it would hurt my family and everyone else I know to choose to run away with my ex, and it would change my life completely. :/ I don't know what to do. Please respond before November 13, 2013. I need help and Friday is my time limit.

Sincerely,
                    Confused

Comment

Wht happen when yhu runaway more then 3 time from a placement

Comment

RE: 15 year old runaway

Originally posted by Texas713 View Post
                        Wht happen when yhu runaway more then 3 time from a placement
                        Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help. It sounds like you are wondering what might happen if you run away from a placement again. The answer to your question depends on a number of factors. Without knowing more about your situation, it is hard to give you a good idea of what might happen to you. If you want to talk to somebody about what you are going through right now, please contact us directly by calling our 24/7 confidential crisis hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929) or by using the live chat service on this website between the hours of 4:30pm and 11:30pm Central Standard Time. That way we can ask questions, listen, and support you in any way that we can. We are looking forward to your call!

Best of luck,

NRS

Comment

hey i need help..

Hey I'm a 16 year old girl from NC. Me and my mom have been living with my sister for a week now because we lost our house and have no in come.. I dont i't like here. They have no heat and no food because they get the munches after smoking weed... My family hates me and told me many times.. I've been considering running away or killing my self... My boyfriend told both is a bad idea. But i need out!! I have no other family.

Comment

RE: hey i need help..

Hello,

I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through. I can’t even begin to imagine how difficult that must be for you. It sounds like you feel like being at home isn’t the best place for you. Have you considered where you would go if you did decide to leave? Here is a link to a list of questions to think of if you do decide to run away, http://www.1800runaway.org/Should-I-Run-Away/.

Also, if you do decide to run away or want to talk more about what you posted here, you can contact our 24 hour hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), so that we can make sure that you have a safe place to go. Or you can contact us via our chat service from 4:30 pm- 11:30 pm Central Time on our website, www.1800runaway.org. We are here to make sure that you have access to all of necessary support to make sure that you are safe. We look forward to your call or chat!

Best of luck,

NRS

Comment

Hi I'm 15. I suffer from ptsd and bipolar with mdd. My mom and I are constantly arguing. My brother and her fight all the time. I'm adopted at age two. I've been abused. And seeking mainly older male attention sexually. I cut burn and I've had 16 suicide attempts. I feel like ********ing is my only way out. I don't want to become a prostitute. I wanted to be emancipated. My bf of 17 wants me to live with him. What should I do. And does new york do 15 year old emancipation?

Comment

Hello there,

We are really glad that you are reaching out to us, and we are here to help in any way that we can. It sounds like you have been through so much, we can’t even begin to imagine what you must be going through. You mentioned that you suffer from PTSD and Bipolar disorder. Do you have a psychiatrist or a counselor that you can talk to? If not, we may be able to help you find some in your area. Some mental health professionals specialize in helping people who have been sexually abused. It sounds like you are dealing with so many difficult issues, and it sounds like you have been trying find different ways to cope with the stress and trauma that you have experienced. We have a couple of resources that might be able to provide you with the support that you need. The first resource is a national hotline called RAINN (Rape Abuse Incest National Network) and you can contact them at 1-800-656-4673. Also, if you begin to feel suicidal again, you can always contact the National Suicide Hotline, either by calling them at 1-800-273-TALK (8255), or by contacting them via their online chat service.

It sounds like you have been exploring becoming emancipated. While we are not legal experts, most states require that you meet certain criteria, however, each state has their own set of rules regarding emancipation. If you would like, you can call our 24-hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or go to our website (www.1800runaway.org) and use our chat service, and we can talk about options available to you in your area including legal aid resources. We look forward to hearing from you.

- NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X