Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Pregnant and 15 moved out of home.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us during this difficult time. Although we cannot give legal advice since we are not lawyers, we can help you explore what options you have available. You mentioned that your parents allowed you to leave home. Although they granted permission for you to leave, they are legally responsible for you until you are 18 years old.

Should your parents decide to file a runaway report, your information would be entered into a national database stating that if found, you are to be returned to your legal guardians. Although running away isn’t technically illegal, anyone that you would be caught staying with could possibly be charged with ‘harboring a runaway’. Is your boyfriend okay with taking this risk?

We can look up any resources you and you boyfriend may need. We are confidential, anonymous and available 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY( 786-2929). We are also available by live chat from 4:30 pm to 11:30 pm CST at www.1800runaway.org. We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck!

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

My friend ran from another state

I have a friend that ran from another state and i was wondering if she gets picked up what will be the worst that will happen to her since she ran from proctor care? She will be 18 in 2013.
      Since there was a warrant issued, will the police come looking for her, or if they come across her, will they take her away?

Comment

Re: My friend ran from another state

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard. We're sorry to hear about your friend running away. We're not legal experts so the only way to know the consequences for sure is to talk to the local police since they're the ones with all the discretion. If she is stopped by the police for what ever reason and find that she has been filed as a runaway, they would most likely try to get her home. Typically runaways are not a top priority in MOST places so if this would still be an issue after she turns 18 would depend on what the cutoff age is in the state she ran away from, which you could find out easily by calling the Department of Children and Family Services. If she's no longer considered in state custody at 18, and has aged out then nothing will happen because running away isnt technically illegal but if its 19 or 21, then it may or may not be different.

If you have any further questions or would like to discuss the situation further please dont hesitate to give us a call at our 24 hour confidential hotline 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or you can chat live with us any day from 4:30-11:30pm central time.

Best of luck,
        NRS Supervisor

Comment

15 ranaway with boyfriend

So I'm 15 and I ranaway with my boyfriend I want to get emancipated without legal gaurdians signing me over. My dad was abusive to drugs we went through police stuff and the police didn't care and it went away we fought lastnight and I ran can I have some help on what to do?

Comment

Thank you for reaching out to us and telling us about what’s going on. It sounds like you are having a difficult time with your dad right now and hopefully we can provide you with some resources that may be able to give you additional support. Now, we aren’t legally trained here so we wouldn’t be able to give you any specific answers.

It sounds like you and your dad had an argument last night that involved the police. We are sorry to hear that they didn’t do anything to help you feel safer; can you tell us more about the argument? We are also sorry to hear that your dad abuses drugs; it sounds like that is very difficult for you.

Now we aren’t legally trained here so we wouldn’t be able to tell you the process to becoming emancipated but we can help you locate legal aid resources that would be able to. Our general understanding though is that in order to become emancipated, your legal guardian does have to be involved in the process. If you are interested in receiving some legal aid numbers, you can call us here and we can get those to you. We can also help you make calls to those numbers if you would like help talking to them.

Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we are confidential and anonymous so if you were to call, we wouldn’t tell anyone that we had talked with you. We have a database of resources such as shelter, legal assistance or counseling/therapy so if you are interested in any of those or just want to talk with someone, please give us a call. We also have online chat services that are available from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST) if you would prefer to talk with someone that way instead.

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.

~NRS
            Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

Help

So I just turned 16 and I don't want to be in the California system anymore and my Dad is more then willing to take custody of me how do I get out of the system if my social worker is against me. If I runaway and go to another state and emancipate myself can I? Does it make a difference if I'm pregnant?
              Please help

Comment

RE: Help

Hi there,

Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It seems like you’re going through a tough spot right now. Managing the legal system can be really hard, especially when the people who are supposed to support you are in your way. You’re smart to reach out for some support!

Just so you know, we are not legal experts here, but we can speak generally about some options that you might have to get the support that you need. One thing that you might want to think about is talking about your situation with someone that you trust and someone who you might think might be able to help. Is there another social worker or even your social worker’s supervisor that you could speak with? You’ve already reached out to us, so it seems like you know how to advocate for yourself!

In terms of emancipation, in California, you can check out this website for some more specific information: http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-emancipation.htm. We do know that if you are pregnant, it doesn’t make any difference in terms of getting emancipated. If you have more specific questions, you can always call Legal Services for Children at 415-863-3762.

If you want to talk through some more options, you can also call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are here 24/7 and are confidential and anonymous. If calling isn’t your thing, you can chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm Central Standard Time. We look forward to hearing from you.

There seem to be a lot of options available to you, so best of luck to you in finding your answers!

NRS

Comment

Seeking Emancipation at the age of 15

Hello,
                  My name is Carly and I'm currently 15 years old, I'll be turning 16 in September. I live in South Carolina. I got into a horrible fight with my parents last night and my step-dad and mom both turned physical on me. I have physical evidence to prove what happened, my boyfriend had to pull my step-dad off of me and restrain him. I had to run out of the house barefoot just to leave. They were both intoxicated when the incident occurred, which is no surprise. My step-dad has an extreme drinking problem, and likes to blame everything bad that has happened on me. This is not the first time something like this has gone down. I have lived with abuse my whole life. The only childhood I know is pain. I am NOT going to allow that feeling to carry on to my young adult years. My mom and step-dad are trying to put me in juvenile detention for running away. I only left because I feared for my safety. I keep telling my mom that I won't come home, that she will have to have me put in handcuffs and forced if she wants it to happen. I asked her if she would help me be emancipated but she is dead set on "not loosing her child again." All I want is to be emancipated, have all chains broke. Living with my step-dad and mom is a living hell. And I do not want to go live with my dad and step-mom in Florida because there it was only worse. I have a job (and plan on getting more) I also have a place to stay. All I need is somebody who is willing to help me get emancipated, without it all being so complex. Any help or information would be much appreciated.
                  Thanks,
                  Carly

Comment

Re: Seeking Emancipation at the age of 15

Originally posted by Carly View Post
                    Hello,
                    My name is Carly and I'm currently 15 years old, I'll be turning 16 in September. I live in South Carolina. I got into a horrible fight with my parents last night and my step-dad and mom both turned physical on me. I have physical evidence to prove what happened, my boyfriend had to pull my step-dad off of me and restrain him. I had to run out of the house barefoot just to leave. They were both intoxicated when the incident occurred, which is no surprise. My step-dad has an extreme drinking problem, and likes to blame everything bad that has happened on me. This is not the first time something like this has gone down. I have lived with abuse my whole life. The only childhood I know is pain. I am NOT going to allow that feeling to carry on to my young adult years. My mom and step-dad are trying to put me in juvenile detention for running away. I only left because I feared for my safety. I keep telling my mom that I won't come home, that she will have to have me put in handcuffs and forced if she wants it to happen. I asked her if she would help me be emancipated but she is dead set on "not loosing her child again." All I want is to be emancipated, have all chains broke. Living with my step-dad and mom is a living hell. And I do not want to go live with my dad and step-mom in Florida because there it was only worse. I have a job (and plan on getting more) I also have a place to stay. All I need is somebody who is willing to help me get emancipated, without it all being so complex. Any help or information would be much appreciated.
                    Thanks,
                    Carly
                    Hi Carly,

Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline and sharing your story. We’re so sorry to hear about your parents physically abusing you. No child deserves to be hit like that and it sounds like you know that. You sound like a very strong young woman who’s looking for a way to get out of the abusive situation and survive. That is mighty brave of you. Have you talked to a social worker or teacher at school about this so they can report it? If you have proof it might make your case stronger with child protective services.

We’re not lawyers but we have referrals for places that might be able to help you get more information on emancipation. Please don’t hesitate to give us a call at our 24 hour confidential hotline 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or live chat with us any day from 4:30-11:30pm central time. We can discuss the situation further and see what options you may have.

Best of luck,
                    NRS Supervisor

p.s. This is the information we have on emancipation in South Carolina:
                    South Carolina
                    There is no formal statute for emancipation in South Carolina. A minor can become emancipated if they are legally married or if they are declared emancipated by a judge.
                    Resources:
                    PALMETTO LEGAL SERVICES
                    Lexington Phone number: 803-359-4154
                    8:30am-5:00pm Monday to Wednesday
                    8:30am-7:00pm Thursday
                    8:30am-1:00pm Friday
                    Orangeburg Phone number: 803-533-0116
                    8:30am-5:00pm Monday to Thursday
                    Sumter Phone number: 888-799-9668
                    8:30am-5:00pm Monday to Wednesday
                    8:30am-7:00pm Thursday

Comment

Someone please help!

Hi, my name is cynthia im 15 years old i live in buffalo, ny and ill be turning 16 in january. Growing up my dad abused my mom badly for about 10 years. My mom left my dad after a while and became. A single mom with 5 kids. Unfortunately, my mom found a new boyfriend who introduced her into drugs and got her into a lot of illegal problems. We soon got social services called on by school & the case eventually went to the state. they were going to take us away from my mom so My dad who was currently living in florida came down to buffalo to help my grandmother take our custody & they did. Now me & 2 of my younger siblings are living with my grandma. Its not very comfortable here since theres alot of kids in the house all the time & my dad is always insulting me & talking very bad about my mom. I cant take it anymore i want to get emancipated but theres no emancipation law in my state. Any help please?

Comment

Someone Please Help

Hello,
                        Thank you for posting on the National Runaway Safeline Bulletin board
                        www.1800Runaway.org

We are so sorry to hear about the situation you have had the misfortune to be in.
                        We understand how difficult it must be for you having to move in with your grandmother and have your father walk back in to your life with his abusive behavior. You don’t deserve that kind of treatment from anyone especially from a parent.
                        You have endured so much in living through the experiences with your parents but in spite of it all you sound like someone with the perseverance to survive and make a better situation for yourself. Good for you.

If you feel unsafe by your dad’s abusive behavior you do have the option of filing an abuse report with the state of New York Child Protective Services.

The 24hr number to call for help is: 1-800-342-3720

You are correct that New York State does not have an emancipation law.
                        Here is some information and a referral that we hope might help you in your quest to be legally free of your parents:

In the state of New York, emancipation is referred to as “the renunciation of parental rights to a child.” Although New York does not have a formal statute for acquiring emancipation, the minor can acquire emancipation if they are legally married, is in the armed services, is able to establish an independent home, or if the parents have failed to fill their parental obligations.

To seek more information pertaining to your situation you can contact the referrals listed below.

Resources:
                        BROOKHAVEN YOUTH BUREAU
                        Phone number: 631-654-7878
                        9:00am-4:30pm Monday to Friday

DUTCHESE CO. YOUTH SERVICES
                        Phone number: 845-486-3665

We hope this information will be helpful to you.
                        If you would like to speak more about your situation please contact the NRS 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) 24hr crisis line.
                        Take Care
                        Last edited by ccsmod4; 07-04-2013, 08:16 AM.

Comment

15 year old, pa.

I'm a 15 year old girl and I'm in Pennsylvania. My whole life I've been either dealing with problems in home or at school, never really caught a break. Until a month ago my parents would hit me sometimes and we'd fight, but id never really say I was abused. But my point is I've been so stressed lately because my parents are fighting , and my dads been in a constant terrible mood (whenever he's home), we have no money anymore since our mortgage went up, and my moms pressuring me to be in activities I don't want to even be in. Lately they've been very .. Unreachable.. And I feel like they won't even listen. I cant stay in here every day anymore I'm honestly sick of it. I've had some dark times a few months ago, to the point I cut myself. I just want to be emancipated and make my own life. Can I do it?

Comment

RE: 15 year old, pa.

Hi there,

Thanks for contacting us tonight. Wow, it sounds like you’ve been through so much for so long. You’re so brave for having put up with this kind of treatment. We want to make sure that we can return your bravery with some help. So let’s see how we can help you out tonight.

First off, you mentioned that you cut yourself. It’s understandable that you have because you went through so much. We just want to make sure that you are safe if you do. One way to be safe is to check out this website (twloha.com). They are a great resource for people who are going through a lot of the same stuff you are.

Another resource for you is this website: (http://www.bostoncoop.net/lcd/emanci...l#PENNSYLVANIA)
                            That might be able to show you a little bit about emancipation and what you might need to do. Sometimes managing all this legal stuff can be difficult. One resource that can talk through with you what that website says is the Youth Advocate. You can reach them at 814-849-1237 during normal business hours.

If you want to talk through anything else or be provided other resources you can call us 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are completely confidential and anonymous. If you can’t call in, you can chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm – 11.30pm Central Time. We look forward to your chat or call.

Best of luck to you,

NRS

Comment

Kind Neighbor worried about daughters best friend.

About a month and half ago my daughter's best friend asked if she got emancipated could she come live with us? After a lengthy discussion over the next week between, my daughter, her best friend, my husband, and my mother, we have all decided to allow her to move in. She is 14 and will be 15 in a few months. Her home life is pretty dirty, only her grand mother to care for her and four other siblings in a run down filthy house that has become infested with several species of insects. This sweet girl is an intelligent straight A student, that ask she explained to us "know's that living in that house, with her grandmother, she will not be able to accomplish her goals in life."

We are not wealthy, but comfortable compared to her current home life we are Rockefeller's. I contacted her grandmother and we had a heart to heart with her. The grandmother expressed to us that she deliberately isolates this young woman out for punishment to "break her spirit" "I have to teach her that life takes everything you value and cherish away from you, so I take anything she likes away from her." I was appalled when I heard this. The grandmother deliberately targets this wonderful intelligent curious child for not reason.

I could go on about how her home and grandmother are not fit for this girl, but really the heart of the matter is, we would like to help her leave that house. We would adopt her if we can, but that doesn't look likely, she has mentioned emancipation, but I am at a loss.

What do you suggest. We live in KS.

Thank you so much for this wonderful website. You all are really doing some good work.

Comment

Re: Kind Neighbor worried about daughters best friend.

Hello,
                                It’s great that you’ve reached out to us for help but it’s even greater that you’re looking out for this young person. She probably appreciates your advocacy more than you know. Sometimes all it takes is one person to show they care.

It was also hard for us to read what grandmother said to you and why she treats the young girl like that. No one deserves that and it appears that there is not only verbal/psychological abuse but also some sort of neglect going on due to home conditions being unsafe (possibly unsanitary?).

As for emancipation, most states usually don’t allow that process until the person is 16. Usually the judges want to see that person is able to work if need be and the age to be allowed to work is usually 16 in most states. Do you think that there might be another way to get grandmother to allow youth to live with you?

If grandmother isn’t budging, and you think the youth is in danger at home and not safe, filing an abuse report is also an option. Sometimes this can also open up other ‘cans of works’ but at the same time give a youth the safe, comfortable home they need. If you’d like to explore this option some more, we are willing to do that with you or the youth over the phone.

If able and willing, please call us at 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We’re anonymous, confidential and available 24/7. We can explore the abuse reporting or explore other options and resources that might be available to the youth.

We’re here to listen, here to help.

NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X