No announcement yet.

How far would police go to find me?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest started a topic How far would police go to find me?

How far would police go to find me?

I totally forgot and texted the person i was going to stay with about staying with him. He's mostly my only choice though, it's him or the streets. & going home is not an option for me. My parents don't know of him either. Would they go as far as finding me there? & what kind of trouble would he get in? He's 19 and i'm 16. I live in ohio.. I left my phone at home but the stuff is deleted out of it & it's hidden.

• ccsmod2
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello There,
    Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a stressful situation. We are not legal experts but we do have general knowledge of the laws and we will do our best to answer. In a lot of cases that would not generate a warrant for them to come inside, but you may want to call your local police department to find out. If a runaway report is filed and the police do find you they would most likely bring you back home. Often times because you are so close to being 18 the police may not force you to go back home. Once you turn 18 the runaway report goes away. If you want to report yourself not missing you can call The National Missing and Exploited Children Hotline at :1800-843-5678.
    We hope this information will be helpful to you. If you have any more questions please give us a call we are here 24/7 to listen and provide support. Best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    I am 17 years old I'll be 18 may 10th. I ran away from home 2 weeks ago. I've been staying with my boyfriend Now I'm in foster care, my parent thinks I'm at my boyfriends which I am but she doesn't have any proof. The police already came to the house the first day I was reported a run away. We didn't answer they left. I was wonder what would give them a warrant to actually come in the home and retrieve me. Also if they seen me outside can they force me to go with them? Also I was wondering when I turn 18 could I just call the police station to be removed as a runaway? And can my case worker make me stay in foster care past 18. I live in Cleveland Ohio. They also listed me as MISSING why?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home where you are not treated with respect. Absolutely no one deserves to be abused mentally or psychologically and it must be really frustrating to not have anyone take you seriously when you report this. If possible, it could be beneficial to document any proof you have of the abuse that’s been going on (video/audio recordings, etc.) – this could help strengthen any abuse cases that are currently open or may be opened in the future.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
    NRS

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you have been going through a difficult situation. Dealing with some of the emotions that you are dealing with could be very difficult to deal with alone. One option you could consider is talking to a school counselor or therapist about how you are feeling, sometimes talking to a professional can help us. If talking to someone in person is not an option for you, you could always call NAMI (national alliance for mental illness). NAMI can be reached at 1800-950-NAMI. Also sometimes talking to your parents could help with your situation. At NRS we offer conference calling where if you call us we can call out to your parents and have a conversation. Conference calling allows you to be heard and we are there to mediate the conversation and provide support to you..
    You mentioned having thought of running away. We are not legal experts but we will do our best to help. If you are a minor your parents do have the right to file a runaway report if you leave without permission. If the police found you they would most likely bring you back home. We are unsure if running away would affect you getting into USMC, but usually a runaway report drops once you are found and once you turn 18.
    We hope this information will help you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more please give us a call we are here 24/7. We wish you the best of luck, please stay strong!
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hello, I’m 17 and I have tried leaving my home 3 times. Each time I have been guilt tripped or forcefully put back into the mental and verbally abusive home. I’ve talked with cops in different counties, dcfs workers, case workers, and different authorities and they take my fathers side every time. He cleans everything up and makes sure that there are no traces of anything. I’m mentally and physically tired and want out. I’ve called you guys before and the advice I was given was to block all numbers they could find me at.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Help

I don't know what to do. Running away is a strong possibility for me. I feel neglected, I'm the second child of 5. I also feel more hated then loved. Today I was 5 minutes late to do something and my mom started yelling at me then said she'll do it, then she said my three little siblings had to go with her because I'm not safe around them when I get mad, I wasn't mad till she said that. I am not a danger to be around anytime. I don't take out my anger on anyone ever. A lot of my friends vent there anger out on me, and I don't really have a problem with that. Its just that almost everyone vents on me. One of the few people who don't is my girlfriend. I was thinking about running to her house and staying there but I know her mom wont let me since she's a lawyer and if I go then she'll call the police on me. Its just getting hard to tell who cares about me and who's using me. Can you give me advice on what to do. I've tried to run away before but I didn't have the heart to do it. Plus everything my dad says sums up to I'm not good enough for him and I cant do anything right. I don't want to leave. I want to join the USMC once I'm 18 but I don't know how running away would affect that. Do you have any advice on what I should do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that you are subject to verbal abuse at home and it is understandable why you would want to leave. While we are not legal experts and cannot predict the future, we do have a great deal of experience with runaways. Typically, police will only look where your parents direct them, so if your parents do not know where you are, it could be very difficult to find you. If there will be posters will be up to whether or not your parents decide to make and distribute posters. Our understanding is that it would be unlikely that you would be all over the news, but it could be a possibility. If you want to talk more specifically about what is going on or talk about what other options you might have, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or on chat at 1800runaway.org.

Guest replied
    Indiana

Im running away tomorrow. I have been getting verbally abused at home and sick of it. I’m planning on going to a friends house where nobody would think to look. How long will the search party last? Will I be all over the news? Will there be posters?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hi, Dakotah,
    Thank you so much for reaching out. It sounds like you’re considering running away and want to know the possible outcomes. It’s great that you have someone in your life that stands by you and makes you feel supported! We are not legally trained here, but we can share some very general information. Since you are 16, you would still be considered a minor. If you left home without permission, your parents would have the right to file a runaway report with the local police. If you are in a different state, it might be more difficult for your local police to track you down. One thing to keep in mind is if you have an interaction with local police for doing something illegal (such as stealing food), they may run your name and realize you are a runaway. As far as getting a job, we’re uncertain; as a minor, you may need parental consent to get a job. You may be able to find someone willing to hire you “under the table,” though these types of arrangements can sometimes end poorly. As a minor, you would not be able to rent a motel room. If you would like to speak more specifically about your situation, get resources, or just need someone to listen, we are here 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929. Stay strong and stay safe!
    --NRS

Guest replied
    Hello my name is Dakotah and i have a situation in which i have questions.
    I want to runaway and i'm 16. I've thought about running away multiple times and right now we travel the country. But ive been in an online relationship for about a year. My parents have met the guy over video calls etc. but he doesn't want to wait any longer, and he is as well 16. I was wondering if I ran away to another state such as Florida what could happen. I am currently in California and would like to be able to get to Florida. Would the police be able to track me there? Is there a possibility that I could get a job there or would they be able to track where i use my Ssn? And if i paid for a motel in the area with cash would anyone get in trouble? I really don't want to lose the only person who has stood by me for this last year and half so i'd really appreciate an answer.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that your parents are treating you abusively. Everyone is entitled to feel safe in their own home and it is extremely inappropriate that your parents are hurting you. While we are not legal experts, we do have general knowledge of how running away is handled in the US. Because you are not 18, if you ran away your parents would be entitled to file a runaway report on you with the police. If the police encountered you with a runaway report out, they would be allowed to notify your legal guardian, pick you up, and take you home. Additionally, if you are staying with someone, your parents would be entitled to press charges against them for harboring a runaway, which is usually considered a misdemeanor offense. Unfortunately, we cannot confidently say how long the cops would look for you if they could not find you as that sort of thing will vary case by case and precinct to precinct. It might be in your interest to consider reporting your parents’ abuse to the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-422-4453. Calling them does not mean you are making report, you can just call them to ask questions to better your understanding of what reporting means and what could happen if you do report. If you need healthcare assistance for your pregnancy, Planned Parenthood might be able to help you make sure your medical needs are taken care of. You can contact them at 1-800-230-7526. If you want to talk more specifically about what is going on, we may be able to help you figure out some other options. If you are interested in sharing more, please reach out to us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or on chat at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 16 I'll be 17 in about a month my parents are verbally abusive and to physically go abusive I'm pregnant and live in the state of Arkansas what will happen if I run away can they make m go back home and how long would the cops look for me if they couldn't find me

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out. The amount of time and effort of police to locate runaways varies greatly from state to town to officer to situation, so we cannot give you an idea of what a particular area’s police response would look like. If your parents/guardians file a runaway report it will be put into a national database so any authority could look you up.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    How long do small town police look for a teen runaway

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X