•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Hello,

You mentioned some things that raise concern for your safety and well-being. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).

If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this Child Help 1-800-422-4453 helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

Please be safe and reach out soon by phone or chat so that we may help.
    Take care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello,

You mentioned some things that raise concern for your safety and well-being. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).

If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this Child Help 1-800-422-4453 helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

Please be safe and reach out soon by phone or chat so that we may help.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Need help
    hi I'm 17 and I've been mentally abused for years and sometimes physically my my father then now my grandmother and I wanna get away but the cops are no help so how can I get away without them taking me back

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'm being mentally abused and manipulated and the cops did nothing when I told them when they found me in a safe place and brought me back "home "I don't feel safe in the house I'm in how can I runaway and get the cops to listen???
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 05-02-2020, 01:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are on the run from your placement and unable to live with who you feel like would be best. That seems really hard to deal with, here at NRS, we truly want to be a support for you during this difficult time.

We are not legal experts but we can speak generally. When you left home, your dad probably filed you as a runaway if a detective is looking for you. Your dad can give police people's information and addresses of where he thinks you might be. Police then might knock on doors and try to reach out to those people to locate you. Police would not look for you in unsuspecting places. However, if a police officer runs your name, that's when they can see you are listed as a runaway.

We hope this information is helpful. Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you would like to talk through your situation or leave your dad a message. We are always here for you.

Best,

NRS

1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org

Guest replied
    i’m 16 and i can’t live with my dad but he still has custody of me and has a detective looking for me but has no idea where i am the judge puts me in placements every time i’m caught but yet won’t let me live with good people that i would stay with how far would this detective go to find me what should i be looking out for

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hey there,

We specialize in giving referrals to youth who have runaway or are in crisis. We are not legal experts. You can find this information by contacting your non-emergency police phone number by Google searching the number for your area. If you would like to talk more in depth about your situation. Feel free to reach out to us directly.

If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in.

Best of luck,
    NRS

Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Guest replied
    what do police half to do to get a warrant to search a house if the parents think their runaway kid is in it

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thank you so much for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline! It sounds like you and your boyfriend are going through a lot right now, and it’s great that you are so supportive of him. It’s clear that you care about your boyfriend and that you care about his safety too. Your boyfriend doesn’t deserve to be mentally abused or physically abused. It’s not his fault at all that his parents are treating him in those ways.

His safety is important, and if he feels that running away is his safest option, it’s not illegal for your boyfriend to run away. We’re not legal experts, but as long as he isn’t doing anything illegal after he leaves home (like stealing, doing illicit drugs, etc.) he won’t get into legal trouble. If he leaves home and his mom files a runaway report with the police, this would mean that if the police found your boyfriend, they would bring him back home.

If your boyfriend wants to talk to someone about his relationship with his parents, he can call the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-422-4453. They can help him talk through different options like filing an abuse report or contacting CPS or DCFS if that is something he wants to do. Here is also the number for National Safe Place. He can text the number 44357 and text the word SAFE and his location, and it will respond with different places like libraries or fire stations he can go to stay warm and be inside for a little while. If he feels safe talking to someone about his situation, there may be a counselor at his school that he could talk to who could have some resources and options to help him out as well.

Again, we’re really glad you reached out to us. It takes a lot of strength to ask for help, and it’s great to see that you’re trying to figure out which options are going to work best for you and your boyfriend. If you want to talk further about yours and your boyfriend’s situation, we are open 24/7 and you can always reach out to us. We’re here to listen at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

-NRS

Guest replied
    My bf is 13 right now and i'm 14, his mom is mentally abusing him to the point he wants to kill himself I don't know what to do and he is planning on breaking in and living in an abandoned trailer near me I don't know what to do I wanna help him and I wanna tell my mom but i'm afraid that she is going to call the cops and I don't wanna get in trouble and if he goes to his dads he will get phycisal abused so it is the best option for him to run away I don't know what to do we live In Maine. and he is running away today I really need him so what can I do and not get us in trouble??
    Last edited by ccsmod1; 02-22-2020, 02:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen.
    It seems like you are in a tough situation, because you have had independence for the last two years and now it is taken away from you.
    We are not legal experts so it is hard to say. If you were to run away your legal guardian could file a runaway report and if the police did find you they most likely would bring you home. Some police do take reports seriously and will look for you other police departments may not. It varies case to case.
    We apologize we could not give you a more straightforward answer. But we do hope this information will help. If you have any more questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    i’m 17 and turn 18 on august 27th. i’ve been traveling the country since i was 15, hitting the road almost exactly 2 years ago at the end of february. i was doing fine traveling with my partner, making good money playing music and picking up odd jobs. i decided my grandma and dad (who live together) would like to see me for christmas, so, me and my partner drove to come see them in louisiana. they have now decided that they won’t let me leave until i’m 18 and want me to stay here forever. they made my partner leave 2 days ago, and i’ve never felt so wrong or empty in my life. they want me put in therapy because they say ‘something is wrong with me’ about how i’m depressed all the time but they don’t realize that’s because i’m here and not doing what makes me happy (what i HAVE been doing for the past two years.) when i try to tell them that they say my happiness and what i want doesn’t matter because i’m a child, even though i’ve been providing for myself for two years. if i were to run away, would police notify other police out of state/around the country to look for me? also, if i were over 1,000 miles away would they still bring me home?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hey there,

18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth. After you turn 18, your guardians can then report you as a missing person rather than a runaway, but at that point, the police would not be required to return you home as if you were a runaway because you would be of legal age.

Best of luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I heard someone say something about running away until your 18 because that's when the police stops and drops your name for runaway. I also heard that the police are rarely active when runaways do make that move. is it true that in Illinois you can runaway until 18 and they stop looking?
    can I runaway at 17 and be removed from runaway list at 18 in Chicago?
    Last edited by ccsmod0; 01-15-2020, 05:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hi there, thanks so much for reaching out. We're sorry to hear that you're having such problems with your mom. Nobody deserves to have toxic parents like that. We're sorry that your mom is being threatening to you and your relationship. Having a support system can be really important when people are dealing with situations like that. You might find relief by talking with your girlfriend, or other friends, about what's going on at home. You also deserve to be trusted when you tell people what happens. If you're feeling really distressed over everything that's going on, you could also try to talk with your school's counselor, or see if your parents would be willing to connect you to a therapist. If you want to talk more, we'd be so happy to talk to you. You can chat us online at 1800runaway.org or call us at 1-800-786-2929.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X