•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline and sharing your story. We know that takes a lot of bravery.

Assuming you are under 18, if you run away the police could find you and return you home. Though, the best way to learn how your local police would respond to you running away would be to give them a call at their non-emergency number and propose your situation as a hypothetical. If you would like to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY we could make that call for or with you. You may also find it helpful to talk with your family about how staying with you dad makes you feel. We do offer a conference call service in which we could help mediate this discussion if you would like.

Thank you again for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. Feel free to reach out anytime as we are available 24/7 and are completely confidential. Best of luck!

Guest replied
    Hello! Im stuck at my stepmoms and dads home. I visit them every summer but hate going as it makes me feel uncomfortable. If I were to runaway would the police take me back there or could I go back to my regular household. My regular household is 18 hours away.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We recognize the courage and strength it takes to reach out, and we are proud of you for doing so. It sounds like you are not having a positive experience with DCS at the moment, and we are sorry to hear that. It also sounds like there are quite a few elements to the situation you are experiencing, and how you got to where you are at. Please know that we are not legal experts, but that we are here to provide support and also share resources that may be viable for you at this time. We welcome you the opportunity to talk with us directly, through our online chat portal found on www.1800runaway.org or by phone call, where we can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY. This would give us the opportunity to talk further with you about the situation and gain a better understanding of what resources we can share with you.

We wish you health, safety, and peace at this time and we look forward to the opportunity to hear from you.

Kindly,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 17 and I haven’t been in foster care (DCS) long, just about a year. I’ve expressed concerns to my team about being unhappy and uncomfortable in my current placement which is kinship. They told me basically that they are not going to consider moving me with a family member who wants to take me in (with a clean background and a great environment) and won’t allow me to visit my biological parent either. The situation that got me in foster care wasn’t very extreme, and was my family and I’s first encounter with DCS. My parent is not abusive. She took one situation too far & I got removed for it. I have been lied to about why we do not visit each other and why my case is progressing so slow. I feel like my team is stringing me and my situation along to keep me on their caseload for the check. I turn 18 in 8 months. I want to know how far will police go to find me with me about to be legal, expressing my want to leave and my team not pursing a potential different option for me?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS. We are here to support you however much we can. It sounds like you’re dealing with a really difficult situation. You deserve to be treated with love and respect and not to be abused in any way. It takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story, especially with CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

We are not legal experts, so we cannot tell you exactly how law enforcement would handle your situation. In most states, if you are under the age of 18 and your legal guardians report you as a runaway, the police would likely take you back home. If you would like more specific information on how your local police department would handle your situation, you could call out to their non-emergency number and ask them directly.

At NRS we are available 24/7 via call (1-800-786-2929) or chat, and we would be glad to discuss your situation further to help you come up with a plan that you feel comfortable with. Please do not hesitate to reach out. We are here for you!

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    My parebts were physically and mentally abusing me and wheb i called cps they did nothing and i have already ran away and im wondering if since im at a friend's house abd safe what should i do since im not going back

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems like you're considering leaving home and want to know about the potential legal consequences.

It sounds like your relationship with your mom is causing strain on your mental health, and she is not advocating for you. National Alliance for Mental Health (nami.org) is a great resource for managing feelings like depression and anxiety. Speaking to a mental health professional, friend, or trusted adult can also be a great resource.
    To be frank, if you are under 18 leaving home without parental permission can be tricky. While running away is not illegal, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway which means that if you are caught you will have to return home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. Further, if you have run away before, have outstanding warrants, or are on probation, some states have laws in place that can hold legal implications if you repeatedly leave home. However, we are not legal experts and this depends on your state.
    We are here as support through this challenging time and we can best help by having a conversation with you either by phone on our hotline or chatting us through our website. We truly hope to hear from you soon so that we can listen and help.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm thinking about running away from home I'm 15. My mom is a mentally abusive person and a narcissist. She guilt trips and says very hurtful things and is controlling.She wants to force me to go to college. Everyday I feel depressed,stressed, and anxiety and sometimes suicidal. I feel like my future is on the line and I cant keep going through this. My mental health isn't good right now. I have a friend who lives in a different state that can come get me that I trust and my mom doesn't know about them. Do you think I will get caught? What will happen?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod16
    Hi,
    thanks for reaching out; we are glad that you did. It sounds like you want to run away with your partner and go to a shelter. As a minor, all shelters will require parental notification or consent. Adult shelters will need id to prove your age since they can't house minors with adults.
    Running away is a big, difficult decision and it's really hard to be safe living on the streets.
    We truly hope you will reach out to our live services so that we can discuss this plan with you further. You can chat us through this website, or call our hotline at 1-800-786-2929
    Sincerely,
    NRS

Guest replied
    What would happen if i ran away at 16 with my partner, and if i went to a homeless shelter what could they do.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I’m 15 planning to run away and go to another state , I have problems with my parents and they just got a divorce it’s really hard . Would I be searched for in the other state or just in the county I ran from ?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you're thinking of running away and questions like these are great to be thinking about. We are not legal experts nor are we experts on how schools generally operate. However, it is possible that your school will report you if they are made aware that you have runaway by your guardians or police. If you have a trusted teacher or administrator you could ask this question to hypothetically, they may be able to give you a more solid answer. If you runaway to a different school district, it may be possible for you to enroll in school. If you would like to discuss a plan further or have any other questions, we would be happy to explore options with you. Do not hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or live chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org). We hope you stay safe!

Best of luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    hello, i was wondering if i ran away, can i still go to school, or will the school find out i ran away, and send me hom??

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that you are in this stressful situation. It is hard to know how the police will react in your situation. They may consider your age—if you are closer to 18, they may not prioritize your case. Does your mom know where your girlfriend lives? If she can provide that information, it would make it more likely for the police to look for you there. Beyond that, it just depends on their priorities.
    We are here to support you as you figure out what is best for your situation. It may help to discuss your specific details with us. Please feel free to call us or chat with us online at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929)/ 1800runaway.org if you would like to talk in more detail. Good luck!
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X