No announcement yet.

How far would police go to find me?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest started a topic How far would police go to find me?

How far would police go to find me?

I totally forgot and texted the person i was going to stay with about staying with him. He's mostly my only choice though, it's him or the streets. & going home is not an option for me. My parents don't know of him either. Would they go as far as finding me there? & what kind of trouble would he get in? He's 19 and i'm 16. I live in ohio.. I left my phone at home but the stuff is deleted out of it & it's hidden.

• ccsmod7
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out today with these questions. It's smart of you to have a plan to address how you can enroll in school and whether or not you can take your phone.

Generally speaking, your mom tracking your phone depends on if she already have tracking capabilities on your phone. So if your mom has ever tracked you before via your phone, she might have access to those apps. Police generally do not use that type of tracking technology for older runaway youth. If you do not bring your phone, you might try to plan out how you will contact folks and your transportation before leaving. Here at NRS, we are primarily concerned about your safety and encourage you to always be planning around it.

In regards to your online school question, it might be hard for someone who is not your guardian to enroll you in school. There might be other options for you, you might reach out to the National Center for Homeless Education's helpline to learn more about them: 1-800-308-2145.

We hope this information is helpful. Please call or chat is if you would like to talk more: 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org.

Best of luck,

NRS

Guest replied
    Hey I’m 17 and planning on running away and I just wanted to know can my mom track my phone should I leave it ? And always can I get the person I’m staying with to enroll me in an online school ?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    If i run away and don't want to return to my household and im found by the police what happens?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Thank you for your response to another user’s post. Often forums are a place of support and understanding for many youth. It often may be validating and helpful for users to read similar situations as well as exchange feedback to one another. For anyone experiencing any difficulties or challenges, the National Runaway Safeline encourages youth to reach out to our 24/7 crisis support line either by phone or chat for immediate services.
    Thank you, NRS

Guest replied
    [QUOTE=Guest;n58119]Hello,

Hello I am going to run away I am planning on staying with a friend because I feel that staying with my boyfriend would be to obvious. Would the police question my boyfriend if they felt he knew where I was, or if I did stay with him would the police get a warrant and search his house?
    [/QUOTE

i completely get what you’re going through bcs I’m planning on something similar but idk & no even if your parents think you’re there they cannot search & it’s an they really won’t get a warrant

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hello there, thanks for reaching out.

We cannot really say if that would be possible. That might be pretty hard to fool police like that. Sounds like you are thinking about leaving, and trying to stay locally without people finding you. If you would like to talk more about that and your plan please do not hesitate to call or chat us. We are confidential, non-directive, and non-judgmental. We are mostly concerned about your safety and we truly want to be there for you: 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org.

We look forward to talking.

Best,

NRS

Guest replied
    Is it possible to make the cops think ur in another state even tho u never left the state

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your parents/guardians can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your parents/guardians.

It’s great to hear that your friend supports you. If you go to stay at their house without prior permission from your parents/guardians, your friend (or the adult in the household) could be charged with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. Penalties for harboring a runaway as well as the police's actions taken while looking for you vary from state to state, police officer to officer, and how your parent/guardians view the situation.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hello,

Hello I am going to run away I am planning on staying with a friend because I feel that staying with my boyfriend would be to obvious. Would the police question my boyfriend if they felt he knew where I was, or if I did stay with him would the police get a warrant and search his house?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to listen and here to help. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time right now. If you are feeling suicidal there is always someone willing to listen. You can call The Suicidal Prevention Line at: 1900-273-8255, there is nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about by calling when you need help. Also you could consider talking to a school counselor or a licensed therapist about what is going on.
    We are not legal experts but we do have general knowledge of the laws. Your parent’s do have the right to file a runaway report. Running away is not a criminal offense it is a status offense, what that means is you would not be arrested for running away. If the police did find you they most likely would bring you home.
    We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore your options further please give us a call. We wish you the best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    Before i ran me and my mom had a fight saying she told me that i needed help because she thinks im Suicidal. She told me there food to eat and i told her no i don´t want to eat and to just let it be She than said She was calling the Suicidal prevention and she later told me I was going to stay there until 18 and i was scared and didnt want to spend my life there so i took my bag and ran its how much trouble would i get in?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    i am planning on running away , i want to bring my phone , but i wanted too know if they could track me down using it ?

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X