No announcement yet.

How far would police go to find me?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest started a topic How far would police go to find me?

How far would police go to find me?

I totally forgot and texted the person i was going to stay with about staying with him. He's mostly my only choice though, it's him or the streets. & going home is not an option for me. My parents don't know of him either. Would they go as far as finding me there? & what kind of trouble would he get in? He's 19 and i'm 16. I live in ohio.. I left my phone at home but the stuff is deleted out of it & it's hidden.

• ccsmod10
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out. The amount of time and effort of police to locate runaways varies greatly from state to town to officer to situation, so we cannot give you an idea of what a particular area’s police response would look like. If your parents/guardians file a runaway report it will be put into a national database so any authority could look you up.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    How long do small town police look for a teen runaway

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline and sharing a little bit about what is going on at home. It takes a lot of courage to reach out and especially in a time where you have a really tough and complex situation at home. We are sorry you are experiencing a living situation that sounds unstable, no one ever deserves to go through that. You do have the right to report your living conditions to Child Help at 1-800-422-4453. You can either do it yourself or call into us directly and we can support you through it. It is hard to say the result of reporting, but if you call in you can ask what the process might look like.

Also another way you can seek help is reaching out to a friend, teacher, or counselor at school that can help you look for resources. Your mental health is important. You can also look at SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) at samhsa.gov (call them directly at 1-877-726-4727) or NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness 1-800-950-NAMI to help you find the support that you need. If you do ever feel in direct danger, to yourself, or some else makes you feel that way, please call out to 911 or reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-8255).

We aren’t legal experts, but we have general knowledge about running away. In most states, running away isn’t illegal, but what is called a status offense. You can’t get arrested for it but it will mostly likely go on your record until you are 18. The police will only know if you have runaway if your parents/guardians file a police report. We can’t say for sure how the police will respond, but we hear a lot that police will take potential places you might be and will actively search for you. If they come across you, the most likely will return you home to your parents. Sometimes we hear that if you are staying with someone who knows you are a runaway and are not actively trying to return you or finding shelter for you, your guardians/or police can press charges against the people who are housing you, with something that is called harboring. One of our main goals is to make sure you are safe, so if you ever seriously decide to run away and need shelter, resources, or a safe place to go you can find safe locations at nationalsafeplace.org or reach out to us directly and we can find local resources in your area.
    We are here for you and will support you in anyway that we can. Please feel free to call into us directly as we can talk further about your situation and find resources that are best for you in your area. Stay strong and you are not alone in this! Our hotline ( 1-800-RUNAWAY) and chat are open 24/7.

-NRS

Guest replied
    im 14 and things are home are horrible. i dont have my own room and its aggravting. me and my mom have been argueing and she wont let me leave the house. i have really bad depression and when im alone i think of ways to kill myself and i drawn in my own thoughts. and it hurts. im set on running away. and i have a friend that will help. shes my girl bestfriend and her family is like mine. my mom doesnt know where she lives. but if she calls the police what can they do. i dont wanna go back home bc theres bugs and i dont have a room. is there anyway they police can take me somewhere else. ?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We are very sorry to hear that you’re going through such a rough time. It can be difficult to feel like you can’t be yourself at home and scary to feel like you’re not safe.

It sounds like you and your brother have thought your plan through very thoroughly. One thing your friend (who’s a former runaway) might have mentioned is that your guardians do have the ability to file a runaway report on you. If they do that (which it sounds like they might since you say they’ll stop at nothing to find you) and they know where you’re going, they can alert the police and it’s possible the police can return you home.

One thing you might consider to help protect yourself is filing an abuse report. It can be a difficult decision to make, but if you decide to file a report, please know that there probably several mandated reporters in your life that can help you through the process. Teachers and coaches are mandated reporters, and so are we here at National Runaway Safeline. Another resource that might be helpful to you is Child Help, the National Child Abuse Hotline. You can reach them at 1-800-422-4453 or through their website at childhelp.org.

Sometimes when abuse reports are filed, Child Protective Services will investigate and decide that it’s in the best interest of the child for them to be removed from the home. However, it can be hard to prove abuse, so you may want to start documenting it now. You can do that by taking pictures and videos of any abuse you’re experiencing or pictures of any marks left on your body from the abuse.

And if you ever feel like your life is in danger, please don’t hesitate to call 911. No one has the right to abuse you and you absolutely have the right to keep yourself safe.

Again, we are so sorry to hear that you are having a hard time at home. If you’d like to talk about your situation more, please feel free to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re here 24/7 and are happy to help you talk to you about everything you’re experiencing right now.

Guest replied
    Me and my little brother and planning on leaving. We both have terrible families at home (As we do not live together) and only one other person knows of this plan. We plan on going to the coast from the middle of America. On one coast is my boyfriend, he's 18 but where he lives isn't exactly safe for anyone. On the other coast, my friend's cousin who is in his twenties and has a kid. We don't know if he's willing to house me and my brother for at least two years or until I'm 18 but it's looking great. The thing is, our guardians are persistent and would probably stop at nothing to find us. But if I stay home I'll wind up dead. I have a route planned to the coast with the cousin from a couple years ago (Really convenient, huh?) and I have things packed. We both know how to fight if need be and we have a list of emergency hotlines for all sorts of emergencies. My friend is helping us, she's a former runaway and knows a little about the legal system. One problem with me and my brother is that we look nothing alike as we're not related by blood but by marriage. I have long hair but when we leave, I'm shaving it and my brother is dying his red to match me since I'm ginger. We're planning on going to the store and buying different clothes that we couldn't be recognised in. Not only that but my friend I mentioned earlier is getting a job and attempting to get what she earns to us before we go which will be after this school year. We already have alternate names but we kept our life stories the same other than the names. I don't feel safe at home and to be completely honest, I really want to just start over as myself. I'm tired of having to pretend to be the perfect child at home because if I were to slip up once I'd get beaten. I don't know about my brother's situation because he doesn't talk to me about it as I do not talk to him about my home life. We go to the same school and have the same friends. I don't want to call some company for help and I don't care about the consequences of running away. I just want to be safe again. Another thing is, I'm transgender and could pass as my actual gender over my biological one. Would that make it harder to find me?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. Unfortunately, it is difficult for us to provide any options without a little more information. Something to consider might be finding out exactly what was going on with the youth and the place they ran away from. Based on that, it might be a good idea to reach out to your local CPS and notify them of the situation. If you would like to share more about what your situation is so that we can talk about other possible actions to take, please don’t hesitate to call us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    My nephew ran away from CPS to my house what should I do

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hi, thank you for reaching out in what must be a very challenging time for you. Unfortunately, we are based in the United States and are not familiar with laws in Canada. To find support in your area, call Kids Help Phone (Canada-based line) at 1-800-668-6868.
    Take care and good luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    I have a plan to leave my foster home in canada but im on probation and i have a plan to stay at my dads place lay low for awhile then possibly get a job how long will the cops still look for me and i get in trouble for almos anything i do i talk to my friend about helping me and im 16

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. Running away can be a bad idea if safety is not kept in mind during the planning process. It is important to reduce the risk of dangerous elements by being thorough before your trip and making sure you have plans just in case things do not go exactly the way you want them to. It’s good that you are travelling with friends, you could benefit from coordinating what to do with them if you get separated or find yourself in an uncomfortable, unsafe, or inappropriate situations. Unfortunately, we cannot precisely tell you how long it would take until the police stopped searching for you as that kind of thing could vary based on what information they have about your whereabouts as well as the protocols of the local precinct pursuing you. If, before you leave, you would like to discuss what is going or other considerations for your journey, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY or on chat at 1800runaway.org.

Guest replied
    I have been thinking lately about leaving my state to somewhere else to meet up with a guy I really like. I plan on going with 6 people and we have done some planning and are doing some more. I'm not completely set on leaving, but I'm really considering it. I just wish I knew how long it would take until the police would stop searching for me. I know this is a bad idea, but I just have the confidence that I can do it. I dont know though. I just need some advice on this. I'm so confused. Get back as soon as possible I would really appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth. We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    100% safe
    i am 16. I was recently expelled for truency and my bday was a month ago. My mom is crazy and psychotic and won’t take the truth for an answer. She called cops on me in one of our arguments about and I just took off through woods about a week or so ago and they just hotlined me. I was wondering if I stayed gone until I’m 18 if I could be free

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X