No announcement yet.

How far would police go to find me?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, i just turned 14 last week and am planing on running away because my birth mother is mentally and physically abusing me she also won't allow me to have friends or a phone because that's how he parents raised her i'm going through depression and recently been abused for attempting suicide. i tried going to CPS about my issue but there wasn't enough evidence of abuse. the person im staying with lives near my grandparents house so what are the chances of me being found?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at NRS and we appreciate you sharing a bit about your situation with us. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. CPS does often need to work from evidence and sometimes multiple reports are needed which can make the reporting process incredibly frustrating and disappointing. If you are ever interested in making another report, Child Help would be a helpful resource that can support you through the process. You can speak to an advocate at 1-800-422-4453 or at childhelp.org if you want to know more about making an additional report.

It seems you want to know more about runaway laws. While we are not legal experts, we can speak generally on this. If you leave home while under the age of 18, your mom can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, and you would not get into any legal trouble. However, it is a status offense which means your mom can have you returned home if found. In many cases, police do not actively search for a runaway. They will, however, follow up on any information your mother or other individuals give them. This could include checking in on the places where your mother suspects you might be and contacting anyone who might know where you are staying.

It sounds the emotional and physical abuse has been taking a toll on your mental health. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.

We are here to be a support for you during this challenging time. If you would like to talk more about your situation and explore your possible options, please do not hesitate to reach out. We are available 24/7 through live chat at 1800runaway.org if you do not have access to a phone.

Be safe and stay strong,
      NRS

• Im 16 turning 17 in a few months, I want to runaway to my boyfriends house because I cant handle my families mental abuse anymore, they're as well very sexist and make me do everything in the house, my step dad has also sexually assaulted me but i'm scared to speak out about because i don't wantt to ruin my mom and step dads relationship, im really scared and i want to run away badly but i'm not sure if i need my documents or papers? Do i need my social security or my birth certificate? Theres a lot of questions i want to ask but i dont know where to start.

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      We are so sorry to hear that you have experienced sexual violence. You do not deserve to have this happen to you, and you deserve to be believed and supported. One really great resource for all survivors of sexual assault or abuse is RAINN (Rape Abuse Incest National Network). You can call them any time 24/7 at 1-800-656-4673, or go to www.rainn.org to use their online hotline. RAINN is the National Sexual Assault Hotline and has a lot of services, support and resources that you may find helpful. You can also call us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you need to talk. We understand it may take some time for you to feel ready to make any kind of report, but it may be helpful to have this resource handy should you need it.
      You mentioned some things that raise concern for your safety and well-being. We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).

If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions. Most legal documentation can be replaced, although it can take some time and would need parental consent until you are 18. If you are able to get any of the documentation to have with you, that may be best.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Please be safe and reach out soon by phone or chat so that we may help.
      Take care,
      NRS

• I have a runaway teenager 16yrs a girl she's hiding with an adult male who's brainwashed her. Ppl have seen them in public together from my fliers I put out, but each time the police go search the man's home for her she hides in another bedroom because the police say there only allowed to search his room because it's his dad renting the mobile home not him so every time police go check for her she's able to hide in another room so it makes me look like I'm lying about her being there when I know for a fact she's there what can I do?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

That sounds like a very serious situation. We aren't legal experts so we can't say for sure what all your options are. Working with police can be frustrating at times, and often you may have to make repeated requests to have them follow through in a thorough manner.

One thing you definitely may want to consider is filing a runaway report with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC). Doing this makes the runaway report national, not just local. Here is the contact information for the NCMEC. You also may want to take a look at their website:

www.missingkids.org
      1-800-843-5678

Other really good resources for parents in your situation are the following agencies and hotlines:

Team HOPE (Help Offering Parent's Empowerment) www.missingkids.org/TeamHOPE
      1-866-3054673

Child Find www.childfindofamerica.org
      1-800-426-5678

Polly Klaas Foundation www.pollyklaas.org
      1-800-587-4357

Other than the above resources you may want to contact the local FBI in your area. We can't say for sure if they would help, but you can try. Getting the school involved is another idea, as is calling your daughter's friends to see how they might be able to help or have information about what's going on.

Please take care of yourself as well during this very challenging situation. We are here for you if you would like to talk. You can also share our number with your daughter if you have any means of communication with her. Our 24 hour confidential hotline is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We can also be reached via the chat feature on our website: www.1800runaway.org.

All the best,
      NRS

• If I run away and take my car is it stealing?

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out. If the car is in your parrents' name then it could be reported as stolen if you were to take it. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe, NRS

• I was just wondering if cops can track my location on Snapchat or Instagram or Facebook if I’m a runaway and if they can find where I’m at

Comment

• ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      Thanks for reaching out to us; we are glad that you did. We are not legal experts but our understanding of whether you can be tracked through social media would be that police would have to go to court to get a subpoena to look at any location data that the app may have.
      We have never heard of this happening, but can't guarantee that they won't.
      We hope this helps. We would for sure like to talk further with you about your plan to run. We are confidential and anonymous and are dedicated to helping you to be safe and off the streets. You can reach out by phone at 1-800-786-2929(1-800-RUNAWAY) or via live chat through this website. We hope to hear from you soon.
      Sincerely,
      NRS

• hi , i want to run away but not really sure how . i will be 16 on may 30th but i don’t have my social security and an id or permit . i know who i want to run away with but i want my plan to go well so i won’t be found . my mom doesn’t do anything for me and i have to live with her now and i don’t want to . she also has my phone but i will get it back soon . she also takes her anger out on me and is very toxic and negative and i don’t want to be around that anymore . i want to know how to still be in school as a run away and how to live life without my parents being able to get me back

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It certainly sounds like you are going through a difficult time at home right now, which is unfortunate. It is so hard for anyone to be a toxic situation, and can be especially trying at your age. You certainly sound for being almost 16 as you realize how important staying in school is and you should be commended for that!

Leaving home takes a lot of planning on knowing how you will make money to survive, where you will live, and how you will stay safe. Here at the National Runaway Safeline, our concern is being sure you are kept safe both at home or on the streets. Also, it is important to know that your age, it is possible that you will be returned to your parents should you be picked up for any reason. At NRS we have a number of resources in our database that might be of assistance to you in making your living situation more tolerable.

Before doing anything, perhaps you will consider contacting us either at 1-800-Runaway (1-800-286-2929) or via our chatline at www.1800runaway.org

Both are available 24/7 and are completely confidential and will allow us to see if we can work with you in dealing with your parents and keeping you in school.

Again, thanks for reaching out to us!

• I’m so depressed, I don’t want to kill myself but sometimes it feels like the only way out. I shouldn’t even wanna runaway cus I have it okay now but I don’t know what’s real anymore… if I’m being manipulated or if I’m fine and just overreacting, its so ********ing stressful. They won’t let me go to therapy, I’m grounded for attempting suicide so I can’t talk to anyone, they don’t care. All they give a ******** about is the $750 they get a month from state… I’m just a source of income. They pretend like everything’s fine and I’m just looking for attention or something but I just want to be happy, 5 years of this ********. It’s not even my life anymore. Im taking my ********ing life back, I don’t care if I’m only 15 I deserve to live and be happy. I’m a person. I can stay at my best friends house, at least for the summer. I can get a job and a car, start my life, enjoy it for once. I mean they said to “grow the ******** up” so why not? I have a plan, if my dad doesn’t take me to my sisters I’m running away, then I’ll just hide for like a month, not get into trouble with the cops. Even if I can’t stay at my best friends for the whole summer I can stay at the hideaway (place for runaways, have a curfew and ********). I hope I can get to my sisters but I’m not staying in that ********ing house anymore. I don’t know.. is emotional abuse and neglect a valid reason? I’m not getting child protective services involved, they’ve done enough. They’ll just ******** everything up, maybe if they find me I will just so my friends mom can give me a permanent home. I feel guilty for doing this.. I feel like I’m overreacting but even my friends and family say I need to get outta there. This ********ing sucks.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.
      Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you soon.
      NRS

• I live in Idaho and I am currently running away and my mom won’t call it off my girlfriend lives in c.o. How long will they look for me and will they go to where my girlfriend lives ?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that you are in this stressful situation. It is hard to know how the police will react in your situation. They may consider your age—if you are closer to 18, they may not prioritize your case. Does your mom know where your girlfriend lives? If she can provide that information, it would make it more likely for the police to look for you there. Beyond that, it just depends on their priorities.
      We are here to support you as you figure out what is best for your situation. It may help to discuss your specific details with us. Please feel free to call us or chat with us online at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929)/ 1800runaway.org if you would like to talk in more detail. Good luck!

• hello, i was wondering if i ran away, can i still go to school, or will the school find out i ran away, and send me hom??

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you're thinking of running away and questions like these are great to be thinking about. We are not legal experts nor are we experts on how schools generally operate. However, it is possible that your school will report you if they are made aware that you have runaway by your guardians or police. If you have a trusted teacher or administrator you could ask this question to hypothetically, they may be able to give you a more solid answer. If you runaway to a different school district, it may be possible for you to enroll in school. If you would like to discuss a plan further or have any other questions, we would be happy to explore options with you. Do not hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or live chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org). We hope you stay safe!

Best of luck,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X