No announcement yet.

How far would police go to find me?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do police half to do to get a warrant to search a house if the parents think their runaway kid is in it

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

We specialize in giving referrals to youth who have runaway or are in crisis. We are not legal experts. You can find this information by contacting your non-emergency police phone number by Google searching the number for your area. If you would like to talk more in depth about your situation. Feel free to reach out to us directly.

If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in.

Best of luck,
      NRS

Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

• i’m 16 and i can’t live with my dad but he still has custody of me and has a detective looking for me but has no idea where i am the judge puts me in placements every time i’m caught but yet won’t let me live with good people that i would stay with how far would this detective go to find me what should i be looking out for

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are on the run from your placement and unable to live with who you feel like would be best. That seems really hard to deal with, here at NRS, we truly want to be a support for you during this difficult time.

We are not legal experts but we can speak generally. When you left home, your dad probably filed you as a runaway if a detective is looking for you. Your dad can give police people's information and addresses of where he thinks you might be. Police then might knock on doors and try to reach out to those people to locate you. Police would not look for you in unsuspecting places. However, if a police officer runs your name, that's when they can see you are listed as a runaway.

We hope this information is helpful. Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you would like to talk through your situation or leave your dad a message. We are always here for you.

Best,

NRS

1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org

• I'm being mentally abused and manipulated and the cops did nothing when I told them when they found me in a safe place and brought me back "home "I don't feel safe in the house I'm in how can I runaway and get the cops to listen???
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 05-02-2020, 02:26 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod4
      ccsmod4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

You mentioned some things that raise concern for your safety and well-being. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).

If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this Child Help 1-800-422-4453 helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

Please be safe and reach out soon by phone or chat so that we may help.

Take care,
      NRS

• Need help
    hi I'm 17 and I've been mentally abused for years and sometimes physically my my father then now my grandmother and I wanna get away but the cops are no help so how can I get away without them taking me back

Comment

• Hello,

You mentioned some things that raise concern for your safety and well-being. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).

If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this Child Help 1-800-422-4453 helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

Please be safe and reach out soon by phone or chat so that we may help.
      Take care,
      NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• I’m 15, if I run away and don’t get caught until I’m 18 will I be in trouble when I turn 18? Or do they forget about it?

Comment

• ccsmod6
          ccsmod6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. It is our understanding that running away is not illegal. You will not be arrested for it or go to jail for it, but your parents can file a runaway report with the police. If the police found you they would notify your parents and then return you back home. Once you turn 18, you have the right to live where you please, and if you are a runaway and you turn 18 as a runaway, you will still have that right.

If you want to talk more about what is going on and what options you might have, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
          NRS

• I am 11 and I need help, My friend told me I could go to her house but I'm not sure, and I've been mentally abused and just started the physical abuse can you help me?

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello There,
          Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to listen and here to help. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time, and we want you to know you are not alone.
          You do not deserve to be abused and you do have a right to make a report. You can make a report by calling Child Help at: 1800-422-4453. You can also give us a call or chat with us online and we can help you with making a report.
          We are not legal experts but we do have some information on running away. If you were to leave your home without permission your legal guardian does have the right to file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back home. You could consider talking with an adult or school counselor about what you are going through at home.
          We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options, please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Best of luck!
          NRS

• Hi, I’m looking to run away from home because I recently got into a lot of trouble for contacting a friend, having a boyfriend, cutting, concealing a suicide attempt, and having bad bulimia. I am constantly emotionally and sometimes physically abused by my family, and they are also trying to convert me back to their religion. I am looking to get on a bus to get out of state and start a new life, because I know I can take care of myself. My questions are:

Is there an alternative option for getting to my preferred state, other than by bus?
        Is there a viable way to lie about my age and alter my appearance to get on the bus? (I am 14, the unaccompanied rider age is 17+)
        Can the police track a factory reset phone?
        Do policemen send a “be on the lookout for” to the police system in other states, or just the one that I am currently in.
        If I am caught, are the police required to bring me home or are there other options?
        Can charges be brought on me, since I have run away once before but returned home on my own, less than 12 hours later?
        Is getting a job or busking for money in my chosen state a safe option immediately, or should I lay low until I run low on money?
        Will the police track my friends down and figure out where I’ve gone, since I have mentioned running away to this state a lot (I have given them some false information via a secret email address just in case because I am paranoid).
        Will the police be able to find my secret email and will they actively search for me if they get a lead off my deleted search history or email?

Thank you for your time,

Hopeful for the Future

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          HI there, thanks for reaching out. It's clear that you have been through more than anyone should have to go through with the abuse at home and the toll it has taken on your mental health. We are so glad you are still here with us, you deserve to be safe at home and to have the opportunity to thrive. We are glad you are hopeful for the future, there is hope that things will get better. Here at NRS, we truly want to be a support for you during this difficult time.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

You also mentioned a past attempt and struggling with bulimia, you shouldn't have to go through those things alone and there is support for you. You can always contact us or www.neda.org or www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org if you need someone to talk to. If you feel like you are in immediate danger, please call 911.

These are all excellent questions, some of which we can answer generally. We are not legal experts or experts on how police communicate, rather we can speak generally about runaway laws and what could happen.

We are unaware of a transportation option that an unaccompanied 14 year old can access. You usually have to show ID to get on transit. Here at NRS, we are primarily concerned with your safety, so if you are able to get rides or rely on others for transportation, we strongly encourage you only to interact with people you know and trust. Putting your trust in a stranger could put you at high risk for exploitation or violence.

So generally speaking, if you are filed as a runaway. Police would only look in suspecting places for you, like addresses your guardians would tell them to visit. So it is possible your parents could give police your friends' information so they can knock on some doors. There would not be an alert such as an amber alert put out for you if you are suspected of running away. Police are generally only on that high of alert when there is reason to believe that something bad has happened to you. Typically, the way police could tell you are a runaway in an unsuspecting place is if you are stopped for another reason and they run your name and see that you are listed as a runaway. We do not know if police would go into your email, especially if it's secret. Generally speaking, running away is a status offense and you wouldn't have charges brought against you. If you already have a status offense, it's possible there could be local youth court programs that could make it so their are consequences if you go through it. That would be up to your local laws and court programs.

Money might be hard for you to make as a 14 year old. Again, for your safety, it's important to stay away from jobs that might take advantage of you being young and unaccompanied. So you might try to save up as much as possible, and have a plan with people that you can rely on for food and other basic needs before you leave.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you have more questions or need to talk. We are here for you.

1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org

Best,

NRS

• Hello,
        My sister ran away at age 19 a week ago and it was a complete shock for the whole family since there were no signs whatsoever of any sort of distress from her. Apparently, she told the program that she was being "emotionally abused" and "forced to get married to someone she didn't want" Again, all of this is a complete shocker for everyone since she showed no signs of not wanting to get married. My question is what is the best way to be able to get in contact with our loved one since no one is able to help due to confidentiality laws. She stole a lot of money when she ran away so we can technically press charges, but our main concern is making sure she's safe And for the parents to be able to talk to her to get some peace of mind. She's never been away from her parents for even one night and they're health is really deteriorating from all of this. Please let me know if there are mediation programs or anything at all that can help us reconnect with our loved in.

Thank you

Comment

• ccsmod3
          ccsmod3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for connecting with us here at National Runaway Safeline; we know that it can be tough to reach out for support, and we're glad you did.

It sounds like you and your family were all pretty surprised to find out that your sister ran away, and then, in learning more about the reasons that led to that decision. While it may be tough to navigate through the reasons behind your sister leaving, especially if she broke some trust in stealing so much money, it really shows that you all care about her. Unfortunately, getting in contact with her might not be the easiest thing to do if she's not ready to talk. If there's someone in your family who she is still communicating with, it might be a good idea to have them initially maintain that line of communication with her. They can serve as sort of buffer between your sister and the rest of the family, even if it's just to provide brief updates confirming that she's safe. If there's no one in the family that she's keeping in touch with, another option could be to reach out to her friends and try to stay in touch with her that way. If either of these two options are available, it's important to keep in mind that any messages sent through that buffer person should be positive and encouraging. If the overall goal is to reestablish communication, you want her to feel safe in doing so.

We also offer a messaging service at NRS. This means that your sister can call us and leave a message for someone in your family, and we'll relay it to them. When we do so, you can then leave a message back to her, which she'll be given the next time she calls back. This works the opposite way as well: someone from your family can call and leave a message for your sister. The only difference is that we are unable to deliver the message to her unless she calls us directly and requests it. If this is a service you'd like to learn more about or move forward with, you can call us anytime at 1-800-RUNAWAY. And if you know of someone who is still in touch with your sister, but they aren't necessarily open to giving her a detailed message, you can pass our number along to them as well, letting them know of the messaging service.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to reach out. We're available 24/7 by phone, as well as through our online chat.

Hang in there.

NRS

• I am 13 and want to run away-kind of. I need some advice or something to confirm my thoughts or to sell me on the idea or against the idea. I don't want to run away exactly but I don't want to be at home anymore either. I really just can't stand being in my own house anymore and at this point, it is either running away, getting help or dying.

Comment

• ccsmod6
          ccsmod6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through some intense stuff and we want to support you. Whether or not you feel like you need to run away is up to you and whether or not you feel safe where you are. We would be happy to help you in whatever way we can. We can provide referrals to mental health resources, shelters, legal advocacy, among other things. We can also just talk you through whatever your situation is and help you figure out what your options are. We aim to empower youths and we prioritize their safety and their well-being. If you are interested in anything that we have to offer, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
          NRS
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X