How far would police go to find me?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running away.

Hello, I really hate living with my mother, I’m 14 years old I don’t get to go anywhere and I have depression I harm my self a lot when me and my mother get into arguing, I went to my girlfriends house ONE time for one night & I came back & she hit me because I came home “too late” and it was only 10 my mom hits me a lot and yells a lot, I want to go stay with my girlfriend and her mom said it would be okay but will they get in serious trouble if I go and do this ?? Help please!

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for telling us your story and reaching out. It can be difficult telling others what has happened to you. We want you to know that no one deserves to be abused, and you should not have to go through that. If you haven’t already, you could consider reporting the abuse you’ve been experiencing. If you want more information about abuse reporting or if you want to file a report, you could call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453.

We’re not legal experts here at NRS. Generally it’s not illegal to leave home, but your parents could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. The people you’re staying with could potentially get in trouble for having you stay there without your mom’s permission. You could consider calling your local nonemergency police department to ask about their policies. We also have legal aid resources here if you have specific questions about the laws in your state.

If you don’t feel safe and feel like you need to get away Nationalsafeplace.org provides a safe location for you to meet a staff member who can take you to a designated place where you can discuss all options about how to stay safe. You can text 44357 the word “safe,” and your location to find a safe location in your area. Once you arrive let someone who works there know you need help connecting with a staff member.

You mentioned depression and self-harm. If you’re not currently getting mental health resources, it can be really helpful to get treatment. As your mental health suffers, you have -limited ability to handle the other stressors in your life. You can contact the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) to connect you to mental health resources at 1-800-950-6264 or NAMI.org. Another resource to consider is To Write Love on Her Arms TWLOHA.com. TWLOHA provides support and services that could be helpful for you. You may also want to talk to your school because they should have a counselor for you.

One service we can offer is to conference call with your mom. This way you could have a conversation with your mom but you would not be alone. For example, it may be hard for you to explain to your mom how you are feeling and that you would like to see things change. Sometimes those conversations go better in a conference call because we can advocate for you. If you want to reach us, you can chat with us anytime at 1800runaway.org or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re here 24/7, and we are ready to listen and help however we can.

Wish you the best

-NRS.

I want to leave because I'm uncomfortable where I live and I want to know if police would track my phone? I don't think they would go that far but I don't know for sure.

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

Police research

Would police track my phone if I was running away? I dont think they would go that far but you never know.

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. After reading over your story it just depends on the situation they have the power to do it. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe, NRS

I'm going to runaway to a different city but I want to know if police would actually search for me in a different city. If they do I'm taking my chances.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out today.

Generally speaking, if you are listed as runaway police will generally look in places that your parents say you might be. They would not look in unsuspecting places for you. However, they could look in a different city for you if they have reason to believe you are there, or that you went to someone there. Police departments in different cities can work together to knock on doors at places you might be.

We hope this information is helpful. Please call or chat us if you would like to talk through your situation: 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org.

Best,

NRS

I’m seventeen and I’ll be eighteen in November and I live in alabama, I don’t like living where I live. I live with my grandmother and I am not happy here. Nothing illegal is going on, I simply just can not be happy here. I want to leave. I did leave about a week ago and they found me yesterday and made me go home with them but instead they took me to a hospital and tried to put me in the psych ward because I “ran away” even though I was keeping contact with my grandmother the whole time I was gone. My grandmother told me it was illegal for me to have left and that I have to stay here until november when I’m eighteen. but I really can’t wait any longer, if I leave my house again can they legally bring me back? I can’t live here any longer I want to know how i can leave without being brought back... please help me.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time right now. Being unhappy where you live can be really stressful as you deserve to be happy.
      We are not legal experts but we do have general information on the laws. Because you are a minor if you were to leave home your grandmother could file a runaway report. If the police do find you they most likely would bring you home. Also if you are still attending school and if you leave and become truant you could get in trouble for that. Because you are so close to being 18 the police may not take a runaway report for you, but it depends on each police department. One option to consider is talking to a school counselor about why you are unhappy, sometimes talking with someone can make you feel better.
      We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. We wish you the best of luck!
      NRS

I am going to get emancipated and I read that in Colorado I must not be living with my parents, must have income, and have access to insurance. I must run away to get the process started how long will the cops continue the search for me?????

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there. It looks like you also started a new topic relating to your situation in another thread. Find our response there at: https://bulletinboards.1800runaway.o...pation-process

But, in brief, it's possible the police will continue to consider you a runaway till your case is closed. Check out our more detailed response above. Stay safe!

What happens if I runaway with a baby?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS. It is really responsible of you to want know more about possible consequences for leaving home. In general, if you leave home without your parent or guardian's permission before you turn 18, they can file a runaway report. This does not mean you would get arrested or get into legal trouble. Running away is something that you cannot do because of your age, so police would likely return you home. We are not sure how having a baby might affect this and runaway protocol can differ by state.

We can best be of help by phone (1-800-786-2929) or our online chat services. Please do not hesitate to call or chat with us if you want to talk in more detail about your situation.

Be safe,
      NRS

Hello, i live in maricopa az and i feel mentaly abused and generaly unwanted in my house hold i am going to run away i have no phone and no money and i turn 17 in january of 2020 i know where i want to go i just want an outside opinion

Comment

Hello! Thank you so much for reaching out, we appreciate you seeking help during this difficult time.

To begin with, you mentioned that you feel that you’re getting mentally abused in your home. It sounds like you’re going through a difficult time right now, and we want you to know that you’re not alone. An option to consider would be to talk to a school counselor, and let them know what has recently been going on at home. They may be able to sit down with you, and have a heart to heart about what issues have been upsetting you, and go from there. If you feel like your mental state is at risk, you may want to explore the option of reaching out to the national alliance on mental illness at 1800) 950-6264.

Furthermore, you stated that you want to run away from home as well. We aren’t legal experts, but in most states anyone under 18 is considered a minor. If you decide to run away, your legal guardians may file a runaway report with the authorities, and whoever harbors a runaway, may face some legal consequences. We want you to be safe, and if at any time you feel like that is at jeopardy, you may text the word safe and your location to 44357. The national safe place will text you a safe location, and a caseworker will be out to assist you. Another option to explore would be to contact your local non-emergency number, and ask them what the laws and consequences are in your area.

We hope that you can seek help from these resources, and want you to know that we care about your safety, you’re not alone in this battle. In fact, you’re really brave for going through this difficult time in your life. If for whatever reason you require additional assistance, or want us to make a call on your behalf, feel free to call us at 1800) 786-2929. Best of luck!
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X