No announcement yet.

How far would police go to find me?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know...I have to leave my home but my parents won't let me I have no place to go and little money to go anywhere. I'm 16. Is there any legal way I leave my home in Ohio? Without my parents consent

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parent’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Ok so Im gonna run away and nothing can change my mind. It could be dangerous for me to stay in US and I cant tell law enforcements about this. Im only a fourteen yr old girl. Do you know of any way I can get out of the country without anyone knowing about it? I need to get to a whole different continent to be safe. Pls reply as soon as possible. Thand in advance

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to listen and here to help. We are not legal experts but we do have general information on the laws. In order to leave the country you would need a passport and you would need to be with a parent or legal guardian to leave the country or you would need parental permission to be able to leave the country. If you left home without permission your parents would have the right to file a runaway report. If the police found you they would most likely bring you back home.
      There may be other options for you other than running away. One option is you could talk to your school counselor or a therapist about what is going on, sometimes talking to a professional can help you feel better. Another option could be to do hobbies that you enjoy, sometimes hobbies can distract us from what is bothering us.
      We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to explore your options more please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support. We wish you the best of luck!
      NRS

i been planning on running away, but i dont know what the police will do to make me corporate. would they physically harm me?

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so much for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help. We are sorry to hear that you feel unable to continue living at home- whatever your reasons are, it sounds like a difficult situation. If you decide to run away, your legal guardians may or may not decide to file a runaway report. Running away as an underage youth is not considered a crime, so you would not face any criminal charges for doing so. However, it is considered a status offense, which could mean that if a runaway report is filed on you that the police would make an effort to return you to your home provided that you have a safe home environment to return to. The police are not legally allowed to commit any physical harm to you unless you present an immediate threat of danger to others. The police will usually notify and reunite you with your legal guardians. If you would like to call in to talk about your situation or reason for wanting to run away, please feel free to reach us at any time at 1-800-786-2929. We are also available via online chat if that is a better option for you; our website is www.1800runaway.org. Thank you for reaching out; we are always available to listen and to help.

My boyfriend is in a home where he is not accepted in the slightest. We've talked through snuck phones because his parents tried to cut all ties to anything that wasn't church when he tried coming out to them. We want to run away together and I have a job so I can afford to eat if we keep the costs low. We plan to hitchhike to our final destination
    i was wondering how far the police would go to find him and would they have a way to look through deleted texts? If his parents have suspicions that itsi me hes with, would my family and friends (who I have not told) be involved in this? Say that we ended up in Canada, would that be a safer place where we wouldn't be caught? I'm afraid, but this may be our only option. We've suffered through a lot in the last 3 years together, I just want him safe.

Comment

• ccsmod11
      ccsmod11 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi. Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline and sharing part of your story with us. It sounds like both you and your boyfriend are going through a difficult time right now. It must be challenging to not feel accepted inside of your own home. It’s understandable why he would want to run away. However, you bring up some good questions that may have circumstantial answers. However in general for most states an individual must be at least 18 to leave home without parental consent. Therefore, if you and your boyfriend did decide to run away as you may know your parents can file a runaway report and if you are found you may be asked to return back home. Runaway reports can be entered in nationally and not just locally. In addition, it may be helpful to consider the dangers of hitchhiking and you may also want to start brainstorming that if the two of you do leave how will you two find means for survival in terms of food and shelter. The LGBT National Youth Talk line may be able to provide additional support and new coping tips on how to handle feeling lack of acceptance amongst other things. If you would like to discuss your situation further and discuss possible options please feel free to contact us via phone at 1800-runaway or come chat with us at 1800runaway.org.

i am planning on running away , i want to bring my phone , but i wanted too know if they could track me down using it ?

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

Before i ran me and my mom had a fight saying she told me that i needed help because she thinks im Suicidal. She told me there food to eat and i told her no i don´t want to eat and to just let it be She than said She was calling the Suicidal prevention and she later told me I was going to stay there until 18 and i was scared and didnt want to spend my life there so i took my bag and ran its how much trouble would i get in?

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to listen and here to help. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time right now. If you are feeling suicidal there is always someone willing to listen. You can call The Suicidal Prevention Line at: 1900-273-8255, there is nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about by calling when you need help. Also you could consider talking to a school counselor or a licensed therapist about what is going on.
      We are not legal experts but we do have general knowledge of the laws. Your parent’s do have the right to file a runaway report. Running away is not a criminal offense it is a status offense, what that means is you would not be arrested for running away. If the police did find you they most likely would bring you home.
      We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore your options further please give us a call. We wish you the best of luck!
      NRS

Hello,

Hello I am going to run away I am planning on staying with a friend because I feel that staying with my boyfriend would be to obvious. Would the police question my boyfriend if they felt he knew where I was, or if I did stay with him would the police get a warrant and search his house?

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your parents/guardians can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your parents/guardians.

It’s great to hear that your friend supports you. If you go to stay at their house without prior permission from your parents/guardians, your friend (or the adult in the household) could be charged with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. Penalties for harboring a runaway as well as the police's actions taken while looking for you vary from state to state, police officer to officer, and how your parent/guardians view the situation.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
      NRS

Is it possible to make the cops think ur in another state even tho u never left the state

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there, thanks for reaching out.

We cannot really say if that would be possible. That might be pretty hard to fool police like that. Sounds like you are thinking about leaving, and trying to stay locally without people finding you. If you would like to talk more about that and your plan please do not hesitate to call or chat us. We are confidential, non-directive, and non-judgmental. We are mostly concerned about your safety and we truly want to be there for you: 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org.

We look forward to talking.

Best,

NRS

[QUOTE=Guest;n58119]Hello,

Hello I am going to run away I am planning on staying with a friend because I feel that staying with my boyfriend would be to obvious. Would the police question my boyfriend if they felt he knew where I was, or if I did stay with him would the police get a warrant and search his house?
    [/QUOTE

i completely get what you’re going through bcs I’m planning on something similar but idk & no even if your parents think you’re there they cannot search & it’s an they really won’t get a warrant

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your response to another user’s post. Often forums are a place of support and understanding for many youth. It often may be validating and helpful for users to read similar situations as well as exchange feedback to one another. For anyone experiencing any difficulties or challenges, the National Runaway Safeline encourages youth to reach out to our 24/7 crisis support line either by phone or chat for immediate services.
      Thank you, NRS

If i run away and don't want to return to my household and im found by the police what happens?

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

Hey I’m 17 and planning on running away and I just wanted to know can my mom track my phone should I leave it ? And always can I get the person I’m staying with to enroll me in an online school ?

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out today with these questions. It's smart of you to have a plan to address how you can enroll in school and whether or not you can take your phone.

Generally speaking, your mom tracking your phone depends on if she already have tracking capabilities on your phone. So if your mom has ever tracked you before via your phone, she might have access to those apps. Police generally do not use that type of tracking technology for older runaway youth. If you do not bring your phone, you might try to plan out how you will contact folks and your transportation before leaving. Here at NRS, we are primarily concerned about your safety and encourage you to always be planning around it.

In regards to your online school question, it might be hard for someone who is not your guardian to enroll you in school. There might be other options for you, you might reach out to the National Center for Homeless Education's helpline to learn more about them: 1-800-308-2145.

We hope this information is helpful. Please call or chat is if you would like to talk more: 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org.

Best of luck,

NRS

Is it ilegal for a man over 30 years of age to take a just recently turned 19 year old out of state without anyone knowing her where abouts.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. We are not legal experts but we do have general information on runaway laws.
      In most states the legal age to leave home without consent is 18 years old. You can check your states laws by calling the local non-emergency police and asking the age of majority in your state, you can also do this by going to sexect.com. If 18 is the legal age to leave home it is not against the law unless they were taken out of state without their consent.
      If you believe the 19 year old is in danger you can call the local police at any time and a police officer would be able to assist. Another option you could consider is calling The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at- 1800-843-5678.
      We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Best of luck
      NRS

I am 12 I want to run away with my friend because of the stuff my dad has been saying to me and hitting I do not know what to do

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like your dad is saying and doing hurtful things, and it's not okay that he is hitting you. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. You might have options with reporting the abuse to child protective services if you are interested in having what is going on at home investigated. If you need somewhere safe to go, we can also look for runaway and homeless youth resources for you in your area. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,

NRS

I am 15 and things are bad so I wanna run away but I’m on probation and I was wondering if they would lock me up if they found me. And what happens if I’m gone for a really long time ?

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. In your case you would be in trouble for running away especially since you are on probation. That can have more serious side effects. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      Be safe,
      NRS

I’m in a really bad relationship. We are both 22. He is abusive and I’m thinkgning about running away. Because he said if I leave him he will kill himself and if I offer the idea of leaving he gets physical and yells at me and guilts me. If I run away without telling anyone would I get in trouble. I don’t want to call the cops on him since he is trying to get into the medical field and I don’t want to ruin his future. I just want to get out of this situation though. Please help me.

Comment

• ccsmod11
      ccsmod11 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so much for reaching out. We know it’s not easy to ask for help, particularly when you’re in such a scary situation, so writing this post must have taken a lot of courage.

It sounds like your partner has been physically and emotionally abusive, and has tried to manipulate you into staying with him by threatening to kill himself. That is such a scary and painful thing to be told by someone who is supposed to care about you. You are never responsible for your partner’s actions, only he is.

You don’t deserve to be treated this way. No one does. It sounds like you realize this, and are trying to make the choices you need to find somewhere safe.
      We are not lawyers, and cannot give legal advice, but as far as we know, it is legal everywhere in the United State for a 22 year old to leave their home without telling anyone where they are going, unless they are doing it to escape debt or legal trouble. It is possible your partner (or other friends or family) would report you missing to the police, but that still does not mean you have done anything illegal. If that does occur, you can call the police, and tell them that you are not in danger, and that you don’t want to be found. You would not need to tell the police officer where you are, but if you chose to share that, they are not supposed to tell anyone else.

Do you have a plan for where you will go, or how you will get there? If you need help finding shelter or just want someone to talk to, you can call us anytime at 1-800-RUNAWAY. Another option could be contacting the National Domestic Violence Hotline, at 1-800-799-7233, or messaging them by visiting their website https://www.thehotline.org/ and clicking the red button near the top that says “Chat Now.” They have a lot of experience helping survivors get out of abusive relationships, and start new lives somewhere safe.

You have been surviving something horrible, and you’ve still been able to reach out for help, and plan to get out. You seem brave, and empathetic, and strong. If you have any more questions, or just want to talk, we are always here.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X