• Show
Clear All

If I ran away How long do police look for me

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re not legal experts and it varies from state to state, but if you were to run away from home and your parents were to file a Run Away report with the police and the national government then you would be put into a national database that would have your status pulled up across the country.
      If you don’t feel safe and wanted to run away from home there may be the option for you to look into finding foster care in order to not have to deal with the police looking for you. Here is a link to their website https://www.childwelfare.gov.
      If you would like to talk more about your specific situation and resources that are available for you in your area you can always reach out to 800-RUNAWAY. We are here 24/7. Thanks again for reaching out.
      Thanks,
      NRS

I ran away once on 11/20/18 and I've been skipping school I live in virginia and I want to run away again but the cops gave me a warning for skipping and running away which he said "That's two warnings already one more and you'll go to juvile" how long would I be in there? Also If I run away again can I come back or go out of my place normally without going to jail?

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out to us the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We are glad you decided to reach out to us in this difficult time. Here at the NRS, we are not considered legal experts. When it comes to things that might require a legal expert, we are more than happy to refer you to a legal professional who may better answer your questions. However, we will provide some general information in the event that you find it helpful.
      Regarding your first question, running away is considered a status offense. A status offense is a noncriminal act that is only illegal because you’re a minor. With that being said, in some states, if the child runs away repeatedly and/or is skipping school frequently they may come under the control of juvenile or family court. These courts systems and legal rulings vary greatly within each state. Once again, we would recommend getting advice from a legal professional in your area who may be better suited to answer your question.
      For your second questions, that all depends on the circumstances. Once again, we are not legal experts at NRS. If your parents were to file a runaway report, the police would then begin their search for you. Also, if your state or city has a curfew for minors or any other local law or regulation, the police may be wondering why you are not at your home if you are encountered.
      We hope this information has been helpful. Like we’ve mentioned multiple times, we are not legal experts at NRS. If you wish to have an answer from a legal expert, please reach out to us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us online through our website (https://www.1800runaway.org/) anytime. We wish you the best of luck.

100% safe
    i am 16. I was recently expelled for truency and my bday was a month ago. My mom is crazy and psychotic and won’t take the truth for an answer. She called cops on me in one of our arguments about and I just took off through woods about a week or so ago and they just hotlined me. I was wondering if I stayed gone until I’m 18 if I could be free

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth. We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

I have been thinking lately about leaving my state to somewhere else to meet up with a guy I really like. I plan on going with 6 people and we have done some planning and are doing some more. I'm not completely set on leaving, but I'm really considering it. I just wish I knew how long it would take until the police would stop searching for me. I know this is a bad idea, but I just have the confidence that I can do it. I dont know though. I just need some advice on this. I'm so confused. Get back as soon as possible I would really appreciate it.

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. Running away can be a bad idea if safety is not kept in mind during the planning process. It is important to reduce the risk of dangerous elements by being thorough before your trip and making sure you have plans just in case things do not go exactly the way you want them to. It’s good that you are travelling with friends, you could benefit from coordinating what to do with them if you get separated or find yourself in an uncomfortable, unsafe, or inappropriate situations. Unfortunately, we cannot precisely tell you how long it would take until the police stopped searching for you as that kind of thing could vary based on what information they have about your whereabouts as well as the protocols of the local precinct pursuing you. If, before you leave, you would like to discuss what is going or other considerations for your journey, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY or on chat at 1800runaway.org.

I have a plan to leave my foster home in canada but im on probation and i have a plan to stay at my dads place lay low for awhile then possibly get a job how long will the cops still look for me and i get in trouble for almos anything i do i talk to my friend about helping me and im 16

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, thank you for reaching out in what must be a very challenging time for you. Unfortunately, we are based in the United States and are not familiar with laws in Canada. To find support in your area, call Kids Help Phone (Canada-based line) at 1-800-668-6868.
      Take care and good luck!
      NRS

My nephew ran away from CPS to my house what should I do

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. Unfortunately, it is difficult for us to provide any options without a little more information. Something to consider might be finding out exactly what was going on with the youth and the place they ran away from. Based on that, it might be a good idea to reach out to your local CPS and notify them of the situation. If you would like to share more about what your situation is so that we can talk about other possible actions to take, please don’t hesitate to call us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X