How far would police go to find me?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re: gone

Hi there again,

It sounds like you’re in a difficult situation where your mom is really strict. It sounds exhausting for you to live in a place where you don’t get food and have strict rules. Your feelings make so much sense.

Every decision that you are faced with will come with potential risk and consequences. So staying at home means that you continue to feel overwhelmed by your mom, but that you have a place to live. And staying with your boyfriend means that you are free from the exhaustion of your mom, but that he could get into trouble. It’s a difficult decision to make and think through for sure.

We’re here to talk through this and help you come up with a plan that will help improve your situation. Please call or chat with us to talk more about anything. You can call us 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm central time.

We look forward to your call or chat.

Best of luck to you,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

still me gone

If im a 17 yr old runaway in crow wing county can the police FORCE me to go home?

Comment

RE: still me gone

Hello,
        Thank you for reaching out to us. We don't make outgoing calls unless they are youth initiated. An option is you, or someone else, calling the non-emergency line to your police department and asking them what their protocol would be regarding a 17 year old runaway. You can always call here to speak further as well. Good luck.
        NRS
        1-800-RUNAWAY
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

How Would Police Respond to this Situation

Hello,
          I am a 17 year old, about to turn 18, and have been completely financially responsible for myself since 16. My parents do not cook, pay for my bills, or associate with me unless they are trying to convert me to their religion. I have been asked to leave several times, but they always end it by saying "you leave when you're 18, that's the law." I have my own car, a full time job, and am establishing a residency somewhere. They are so little involved, they have no idea where I work, my friends, interests, etc, so I don't even think they would be able to locate me. That being said, would the police pursue me if they filed a report out of maliciousness? Also, under the circumstances, if the police would not let me stay where I am establishing residency (which is with someone completely unaware of the situation and just a common renter in my local area), could I just place myself under care of the state for two months?

Though their are few instances of abuse physically with my parents, the verbal abuse is on a daily level, and they put no effort forth to improve the situation. I just would like to leave for my own mental health and wellness, but I do think they will file just because they like the control of having me in their household.

Comment

re: How Would Police Respond to this Situation

Hello there, thank you reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. From what you shared it with us, it sounds that you have endured a difficult situation at home for some time now. You don’t deserve any of what you are going through. You deserve to feel safe and supported at home. It seems that you are very independent and have done your best to provide for yourself. We are here to listen and support you however we can.

Although we aren’t legal experts, we can speak generally about your situation. Generally, if you are under the age of majority and leave without permission, your legal parents have the right of filing a runaway report, at which point police may begin looking for you, and may return you back if found. The way this may be handled depends on the laws that apply to your state and the police’s discretion. One option you have is to call your local law enforcement department and just ask hypothetically how they may handle this. You do not have to give identifying information to do this. If you would like assistance, you can call us and we can make a call out with you or on your behalf. You can reach us at our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

You mentioned the possibility of placing yourself in the care of the state. Generally, by being under the age of majority, any type of alternative living arrangement which allows you to live outside of your home would need your parent’s permission. Police may also explore the possibility of contacting child protective services to place you in the care of the state if they believe your safety may be threatened at home or if parents refuse to accept you home. You may also ask this hypothetical question to your local law enforcement department. If you would like to report the instance of abuse you mentioned about, we can potentially help you with this if you contact our 24 hour hotline. A good resource that could help guide in the abuse reporting process and help with the decision to report abuse is Child Help USA hotline at 1-800-422-4453. There are counselors available there 24/7 who will be willing to talk to you about the abuse and would be able to give you more information about filing a report and what that looks like.

No one ever deserves to be treated the way you have been, we’re sorry you have to experience this. We would love to talk to you about your situation and help you brainstorm the best option for you. Our hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), is available 24/7. We also have an online chat service available every night from 4:30-11:30PM CST that could be accessed through our website (www.1800runaway.org). We hope to hear from you soon.

Stay strong.

NRS

Comment

Quick question

How hard would it be to finish my education threw the same school without getting caught?

Comment

RE: Quick question

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS to help with your question. Without knowing too much information, it sounds like you are wanting to know if you run away from home if you are able to still go to the same school you’ve been attending. There are many circumstances that are involved in a question such as yours. If you ran away from home and your parents filed a police report, your school may likely have been contacted and asked to notify your parents or the police if you were in attendance after running away. So, yes you can attend school after running away, but your parents may be informed. If you are under 18 you are not legally able to sign yourself up for school, so you wouldn’t be able to attend another school either. Although this may not be the answers you were looking for, you can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY to talk about other options for you. We have many resources available that might be able to help you with your situation. It is great that you are trying to stay in school and looking for options before deciding what you want to do. If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We wish you luck and stay safe.

Best,

NRS
                Last edited by ccsmod11; 09-11-2015, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Will i get in trouble?

Me and one of my friends are in a tough situation right now and plan on running away. I am concerned if we will get in trouble. I am 15 and she is 13. You mentioned that you can get in trouble for harboring a runaway but would i get in trouble if we both go on our own. (Mind you we both are in this together she made her decision that she wanted to leave and so did I. We just happen to be running away together)

Comment

Re: Will i get in trouble?

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We're sorry to hear that you feel like you cannot stay at home anymore. Harboring charges typically can only be pressed on someone who is 18 or older so it might be a concern if you stay with relatives or at a friend's house, then it's possible that any adult you stay with could get be charged with that misdemeanor charge. Running away is only a status offense, so it's not something that can go on a criminal record, but it would authorize the police to return you home if your parents/guardians file you as a runaway.

There's defenitely a lot to consider when leaving home and it's good that you are trying to be well informed before you make that decission. Where you would stay, how you would get around, and how you would pay for things are all some things to think about. We would be happy to talk to you or your friend about your situation in more detail if you decide to call or chat with us online. We can also look up youth shelters in your area if that's something that might be helpful.

You can also check out National Safe Place if you are in need of a safe place to stay or just want someone you you can talk to in person. Here's their website: http://nationalsafeplace.org/text-4-help/

Best of luck and hope to hear from you,

NRS

Comment

Re: How far would police go to find me?

I ran away from home last night... I hated the way my mom and step dad were treating me. They were emotionally abusive. They isolated me from everyone but themselves and yelled at me when i cut because of it. Two days ago I cut my arm really bad and i had an open wound I was afraid to tell them about because I knew they'd be mad... I was really worried because I didn't know how to treat it and it was really bad. I ended up telling a teacher (who was also a family friend) and he directed me to the school nurse who told me i'd need to go to the hospital to get stitches. I was really scared. When my step dad got there he was really mad. He started yelling at me for being irresponsible and ungrateful. He considered not even taking me to the hospital because he thought they'd send me to the psych ward (where i'd been previously for a suicide attempt).
                      I got the stitches anyway and after that he refused to leave me alone even though that was all i wanted. I just wanted to be away from him. When my mom got home she started yelling at me too. They took my car and thought about taking my phone. i felt like i was being punished for hurting myself; even though it was because of them. I've had problems with anxiety, one of my triggers is yelling, which they knew. I just wanted them to stop and wait to talk about it with my therapist but they wouldn't. Finally they went to bed and I had my best friend pick me up and take me to her house. I left a note saying i was safe and that i needed some time away from them to calm down. They don't understand triggers or cutting or anxiety and i felt id be safer away from people like that.
                      I've been here all night with my phone turned off. When I woke up i turned it on and got notified that my phone was being tracked with verizons family locator, so i turned it back off. My mom had texted me that she was taking the day off work and waiting for me to come home so she didn't have to call the cops.
                      So I have a few questions; can they still track me if my phone is turned on even if i turned location services off? is there any way I can convince the police i'd be better off living somewhere else even if they werent physically abusive? will i get charged with truancy if i get caught? How actively can the police search for me? Will I get my friend in trouble? Will I get charged with a status offense if my parents dont press charges or anything? When will they stop searching? Will you notify the police that I emailed you? I'm so scared, I don't want to go back and live with them. I'm sorry there are so many questions but thank you

Comment

Re: How far would police go to find me?

Often, youth may reach out to NRS in several different ways to discuss their situation. If a response from NRS is not visible on the forum thread, it may be that we have already provided services to that individual through another platform we provide such as email, our crisis hotline, or our live chat service (in operation every day through our website at 1800runaway.org). NRS encourages anyone in need of assistance to contact us through our 24 hour crisis hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY to receive immediate support.

If anyone reading this is also having a hard time with abuse or self injury, we want you to know we are here to listen and provide support to the best of our ability and there is also https://www.childhelp.org/ and https://twloha.com/. Good luck!

Comment

hey. so my parents restrict me from doing so much. i feel empty inside and its like theres something missing that i need. i honestly feel like i have so much capability of changing the world and doing better and being successful. but i cant do any of that because of how my family is. and it really bothers me. i want to leave so i can pursue happiness. i am going to bike across a couple states, 1000 miles about. ive thought about all this and how everything is going to work for more than 7 months. so this is a pretty well thought out plan. but i am going to take my phone. because i need google maps to direct me to where im going. im scared theyll track me but at the same time they will have no idea of where im going. i have a couple hundred dollars with me that can start me off. i have friends where ill be going to let me stay at their places and i will not be attending school or anything. ill stay on the low till im 18. which will be in 2 years. ill be making money from doing work for others and whatnot. any insight or help?

Comment

• ccsmod3
                            ccsmod3 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hello and thanks for sharing your story on our forum. We are sorry to hear you feel empty inside due to your relationship with your parents. It sounds like you are seriously considering leaving home and biking across a couple of states. Please know we are not here to judge you or tell you which decision to make. We do care about your safety and even though we aren’t legal experts, there may be some legal aspects to a bike trip to add to your plan. For example, it might be helpful to research the curfew and traffic/bicycling laws of the states you plan on visiting. We’d be happy to keep talking to you about pros and cons of leaving and invite you to speak to us directly either through Live Chat (if talking online is your preference) or calling us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. Stay safe and good luck!

-NRS

hmmmmm....I want to run away but I don't know where to go I live in Coldwater MI and I would want to take some things with but I would maybe need a car...;p but I would not want to stay here long I would go to like some place far away where I cant be find. Like JP or NYC. can they find my iPod or my iPad?? if they are off? can they find they at all cuz they not phones.?? I want to run away with someone older. I'm 16.i don't want go alone but if have to I will I guess. and don't ask or talk about why I want to runaway I just do. and would you guys help me or nah? I think that's all...

Comment

• ccsmod15
                            ccsmod15 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hi, Thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. We're sorry that you are having trouble at home. That must be a really frustrating situation to be in, and we feel for you. We're not experts in technology or legal experts, so it's hard to give you a definite answer about the iPod or iPad. It depends on what settings are on your devices such as tracking apps. If those aren't on there, it's probably unlikely that the police would track someone using GPS. But you would definitely want to ask the local police department to make sure. We're not here to judge you or tell you what to do. If you choose to leave, we would certainly be here to help you find shelter and resources. If you'd like to reach out to us via Live Chat or at 1800Runaway, we could talk about some pros and cons of leaving. We could also talk about the plans you've made, and ways for you to stay safe. Please let us know if we can help you out with any of these things. Take care, NRS

If I ran away would the police look through old deleted messages to find me

Comment

• ccsmod9
                            ccsmod9 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hi, there!
                            Thank you very much for writing us at the National Runaway Safeline. It seems as though you are concerned about police finding you if you were to run away. The best way to get that question answered would be to talk with your police department through their nonemergency line. You could ask them a general question such as, “What’s your policy on runaway youth?” Then, you could find out. Also, if these old messages are on a cellphone, had you considered that someone other than the police may want to search those for clues, such as your parents? In any case, we would love to provide you with individualized support. Please feel free to call (1-800-RUNAWAY/1-800-786-2929) or chat with us.

Best,

NRS

I'm 16 and am always getting into trouble and wanted to rein away should I run away?

Comment

• ccsmod10
                            ccsmod10 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS! It sounds like you’re going through a hard time, we’re always here to help.

You said that you’re always getting into trouble that sounds really stressful. Everyone is human it’s impossible not to go through life without making mistakes. We offer conference calling between youth and parents. If you need help talking to your parents about how you’ve been feeling, we can help you do that. Unfortunately, we are non-directive, so we can’t tell you if running away is what’s best. If you do runaway, you can’t be arrested for it. We have a large database and we can give you resources to runaway shelters if you decide to leave home.

You’re not alone in this and we’re always here to talk with you about what’s going on. There may be other options or we can help brainstorm through ideas. Our safeline is open 24/7, so please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.

Be safe, NRS
                        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        x
                        Working...
                        X