X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello, thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you care a lot about your grandson and are looking for some support with this really hard situation.
    One option may be for you to get temporary custody over your grandson in the courts. Child Help (1-800-422-4453) or a local lawyer may be able to help with that. If you need legal aid in your area, chat through our website here or call us 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929 and we can provide you with some additional resources.
    You could also look at nami.org. They have groups for people with mental illness as well as their families. It may be a helpful resource for you and your grandson.

Thank you again for advocating for your grandson. We are here 24/7 by chat and phone and can best help directly!

Guest replied
    I am the paternal grandmother of an fourteen years old. He has came to my home to get away from an abusive mother. I have called to see were there any runaway order on him and there were none. My daughter suffers from biopolar disoder but she manipulates the police by saying that the child is an problem. An hopeless grandmother.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I am currently 17 years old. I have a little under 90 days before I turn 18 in October. I have a full time job and make good money as a manger at a local sonic in Arkansas . I already take care of myself living with my mom at her friends house. I want to leave because my Mom sold my truck a while ago and consistently spends all of my money. I have no way of doing anything about her taking my card being her name is on my card account and I live with her. I have no family that is not on drugs or 2000 miles away in California. I would have many places to live and could easily move out considering I already pay for everything I own but I don’t want whoever I love in with to get into trouble for helping me. And not being able to even register myself into the school system for my senior year and all means I have no way of going back to school. I dont know what I should do but I can’t handle living her anymore especially considering she is trying to move back to California very soon.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you all are going through a difficult time right now. We are not legal expers but we do have general information on the laws. If you were to leave home without permission your parents could file a runaway report. If the police did find you they most likely would bring you home.
    There are other options other than running away. One option you could consider is talking to your school counselor, sometimes talking to a professional can help you feel better. Another option could be is to consider asking if any family members or friends would be willing to let you stay with them. If you do choose to run away and need a place to stay we can help you find shelters in your area if you give us a call.
    We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support to you. We wish you the best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    im planning to runaway with some friends i am 12 theres also 2 others who are 12 and two thirteen year olds and and one 14 year old we are all feeling unhappy and unsafe at home should we run away

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It’s great that you were able to find out some information about our hotline. Hopefully we can help.

Legally you are a minor and under your guardian’s supervision until you are 18 or are emancipated by a court of law. If you decide to leave home without their permission, your parents could file a runaway report on you. Running away is not a crime, it is a status offense, so you wouldn’t be arrested for doing so.

You don’t deserve to be abused in any way at. You’re always able to report the verbal abuse to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options as far as transferring custody. We also have legal aid resources in our database, they’re lawyers who help youth for free. We’re here to try to brainstorm options with you.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. You are always welcome to call into our 24/7 crisis center, or use our chatting services via our website. However, the chatting service is not open 24/7. So the best way to tell us everything would be to just call into our hotline and talk to one of our trained liners.

Be safe, NRS

Guest replied
    If your dad and mom are verbally abusive can you run away. I am 15

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hi,
    Thank you for reaching out. It must be so frustrating and hurtful when your grandmother yells and cusses at you, or accuses you of things you didn’t do. That’s very unfair. While we aren’t legal experts, we can give some general information. Since you are a minor, you would need consent from your legal guardian to live somewhere else. If you leave without permission, your grandmother would have the right to file a runaway report with the police and if they are able to locate you they may return you home. You also mention that you are on probation and house arrest; running away under these circumstances could mean that you’ll face more severe consequences than one might usually face for running away.

Please feel free to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 if you want to speak more specifically about your situation or if you need resources. We’re here 24/7 to listen and help in any way we can.

Sincerely,

NRS

Guest replied
    Hey I’m 14 and my grandmother is always yelling, cussing, and accusing me of so many things that have nvr even crossed my mind. Is there anyway I could dip out and not suffer legal consequences?? Bc the courts just put me on probation, house arrest, etc. for things I’ve nvr even done and I get treated like ******** all of my home time for basically nothing. Pls I need help bc I have a friend that will take me but I have no other family and rly just want to leave

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hi, there,
    Thank you for reaching out and trying to advocate for your cousin. She is lucky to have someone like you in her corner standing up for her. We aren’t legal experts, but can give some general information. If your cousin is not a legal adult (in most states, this is 1, she would need her mom’s permission to stay elsewhere. Otherwise, her mom has the right to call the local police and if the police are able to find your cousin they may return her home. That being said, if there is abuse going on we encourage you or your cousin to file an abuse report with child protective services. For more information about abuse reporting and what might happen if you do file an abuse report, you can call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453.
    Thank you again for reaching out. We hope this was helpful and we encourage you to reach out by phone if you need additional resources or need help figuring out your options. Our number is 1-800-786-2929 and our lines are always open. If you have a moment, we'd appreciate your feedback of our crisis services at the following link:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think
    Stay safe!

Guest replied
    My cousin ran away but her mom mentally abuses her is the anyway she could stay or live with me if her mom is doing that?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Hi there,
    Thanks for reaching out and having the bravery to share what’s going on with you. We’re sorry to hear about your situation. You do not deserve this, home should be where someone feels safe and welcomed.
    Although we are not legal experts here, generally you are not a legal adult until you are 18. Before that point, your parents would be within their legal rights to file runaway reports and potentially could charge anyone who shelters you for harboring a runaway. This process is generally standard regardless of state. If you were to become an emancipated minor, you would have the same rights as an adult. Emancipation can be a lengthy, cost-intensive process with specific requirements. In Arkansas, a minor can petition starting at 16, but you could call either the Legal Services of Northeast Arkansas (1-800-952-9243), http://www.arkansaslegalservices.org or East Arkansas Legal Services (879-339-9834) for more information about emancipation laws in your state.
    It sounded like you may not being taken care of in the way that you deserve. You may be able to report this to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors and they could help you through the reporting process, if that was something you felt like you needed to do.
    We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time and that you are not alone in this. If you would like to talk more in detail please call 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in.

-NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I'm 15 and I have alcoholic parents I've been a runaway three times and they just took me home. I recently moved to arkansas if I leave again now that I'm in a different state what will they do? And how old do you have to be to leave your parents house without there permission?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: That not right.

Hi,

Thank you for your response to another user’s post. Often forums are a place of support and understanding for many youth. It often may be validating and helpful for users to read similar situations as well as exchange feedback to one another. For anyone experiencing any difficulties or challenges, the National Runaway Safeline encourages youth to reach out to our 24/7 crisis support line either by phone or chat for immediate services.

We hope that this information is helpful to you! We’d love to hear what you think about your experience with the National Runaway Safeline (NRS).
    If you have a moment, please click the link below our signature line to fill out a quick survey.

Thank you,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X