No announcement yet.

Are runaway laws enforced in Arkansas?

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Hi I am currently 17 years old. I have a little under 90 days before I turn 18 in October. I have a full time job and make good money as a manger at a local sonic in Arkansas . I already take care of myself living with my mom at her friends house. I want to leave because my Mom sold my truck a while ago and consistently spends all of my money. I have no way of doing anything about her taking my card being her name is on my card account and I live with her. I have no family that is not on drugs or 2000 miles away in California. I would have many places to live and could easily move out considering I already pay for everything I own but I don’t want whoever I love in with to get into trouble for helping me. And not being able to even register myself into the school system for my senior year and all means I have no way of going back to school. I dont know what I should do but I can’t handle living her anymore especially considering she is trying to move back to California very soon.


    • ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,

  • #47
    I am the paternal grandmother of an fourteen years old. He has came to my home to get away from an abusive mother. I have called to see were there any runaway order on him and there were none. My daughter suffers from biopolar disoder but she manipulates the police by saying that the child is an problem. An hopeless grandmother.


    • ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello, thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you care a lot about your grandson and are looking for some support with this really hard situation.
      One option may be for you to get temporary custody over your grandson in the courts. Child Help (1-800-422-4453) or a local lawyer may be able to help with that. If you need legal aid in your area, chat through our website here or call us 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929 and we can provide you with some additional resources.
      You could also look at They have groups for people with mental illness as well as their families. It may be a helpful resource for you and your grandson.

      Thank you again for advocating for your grandson. We are here 24/7 by chat and phone and can best help directly!
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove