No announcement yet.

Illinois: leaving home okay at 17?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m 17 and I want to live with my friend because my mom and I don’t have a good relationship. It’s not abusive yet but she’s secluding me from my friends and is overly obsessive with what I do. I don’t want to be here anymore and it feels like I’m drowning in this house. It doesn’t feel like home. I can’t move in with my dad because he just got out of jail for being a pedophile, he’s was a abusive alcoholic when I was younger so our relationship isn’t good. I live in Illinois but my mom won’t let move to my friends house. What do I do? Can I just leave on my own without getting the cops involved? I don’t want to stay at this house for another year, I don’t think I could handle it anymore.
    Last edited by ccsmod7; 09-22-2018, 03:35 PM. Reason: identifying information

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear about what you’re going through at home. You deserve to feel comfortable with your mom, and it sounds like your dad’s house is not an option, but it’s good that you have a friend who is able to support you if necessary.

Although we are not legal experts, we know some police stations are unlikely to accept runaway reports for 17-year-olds. You could call your local department and ask them hypothetically about their policy. Even if they did take runaway reports and your mom filed one, you would not get arrested or have a criminal record. Running away is called a status offense, which means it is only illegal because you’re under 18. However, if your mom decided to pursue charges against your friend’s family, they could get in trouble for harboring a runaway.

Whatever you decide, your safety and well-being should definitely be your priority. Please email back, or call or chat with us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or www.1800runaway.org, if you have more questions. Best of luck with everything!

Urgent:

I'm 17 and I live with my mom and her on again off again boyfriend. Each of them have three kids from different relationships. We live in a three bedroom house. My stepdad had his friend move in a couple of months ago to help pay the bills because we're so behind. My biological brother is abusive with anger issues. He has broken my ribs, my mom's nose, punched holes in the walls and stalks me. He also sexually harasses me everyday. The boyfriend has gambling and drug issues. My mom is on Adderall and has anger issues like my brother. She's up for days at a time and then sleeps for a day. When I confront her about what my brother does all she says is "I'm sorry". I want to move out and am considering running away. I can't get emancipated. I can't keep living like this and I don't know what else to do.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      We're glad you reached out to us. We'll try to help. It looks like you are in a very difficult living situation. You don't deserve to be abused physically and sexually. It's understandable that you want to leave that environment. It sounds like you are dealing with a lot right now. You might want to talk to a school counselor or friend or family member to try to find some better resolution to the situation. Also, you might want to call Child Help at 1800-422-4453. Also, there is RAINN at 1800-656-4673. You could call that hotline as well. If you haven't, you might consider calling Child Protective Services in your city as well. You may also want to call us at 1800-RUNAWAY to talk about what's going on and perhaps find some options. We are here 24/7 and are confidential. Good luck.

Hi! I live in **** Illinois and was adopted at 12 to a family I have never gotten along with. I just turned 17 in October, but things in my house seem to get worse and worse. They do not want me to have a phone, but that is my outlet to talk to my friends and biological family who check up on me and make sure I'm okay. Last night things escalated when they came home after a night of drinking and held me down to the bed and my adoptive dad stuck his hand up my shirt to see if I had the phone in my bra. Previous to all of this things were bad and my mom told me if I could find somewhere to stay I was welcome to leave so I stayed at a friends house for the night and the next day they showed up to school. They showed there true selves in front of my assistant principal and he Called this place called CHASI they came out and talked to me told me to make it work for the weekend.. I did, then the next monday a social worker came but she has stopped coming for those reason I don't know, it got to the point where I even called the police and they didn't do anything. With all of that being said, if I go and stay at a friends house for a while 1) could they file a runaway report? 2) Could the police bring me back?
    Last edited by ccsmod7; 11-25-2018, 02:24 PM. Reason: identifying info

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi. Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing part of your story with us. It sounds like you’re going through quite a tough time at home. It also sounds like it could be incredibly challenging to not be able to communicate with those who support you most. We don’t have a legal background however we do have a general understanding about runaway reports. In Illinois, you would have to be 18 years old in order to leave home without parental consent. Considering you are 17 your parents do have the right to file a runaway report. However, in some cities in Illinois the police will not take a runaway report for someone who is 17 years old. We don’t have a list of these cities but it could be helpful to reach out to your local non-emergency line to double check. If a runaway report is successfully filed and you are located the police could surely bring you back home if you are still under 18.

We hope you find this information useful. If you would like to discuss your situation further please do feel free to contact us via phone at 1800-runaway or chat at 1800runaway.org

If I left home at 17 and my parents couldn't file a police report because the police didn't except it, what if they came to school could the school make me go back with them

Moving out
    If the police station in my city does not except runaway reports for 17 year olds, could my parents bring me back if they found where I was?
    Last edited by ccsmod6; 11-25-2018, 09:05 PM. Reason: Combined two posts from same poster

Comment

My inquires are if I am 17, and decide to leave my house for multiple reasons, is that legally allowed? I know I can not be emancipted regarding my situation for I cannot prove I can live on my own and pay for all of my expensives. My mom is going through a divorce for the past year with my step dad of 9 years who is my two younger siblings father. The past year she has brought multiple guys over and her current boyfriend of 3 months is living with us (who has a 15yr old son) they've been planning on a child together, which she is now pregnant with. She has shut down her store which was our main income, and we are now on a link card. We live in a small house with 4 bedrooms and I've been talking with the landlords and it doesn't seem like we will be able to live here soon since it is a farm and she is struggling to pay for the insurance of the animals. I do not want to start living with her boyfriend here and since she will be expecting, do I have a choice to leave? This will be her fifth different father of her soon to be 6 children. She has hit me and my older brothers numerous times and is mentally abusive saying I won't make it in life making regards on my sex life and so on. Would I legally be able to live with my dad or step-dad that both live in the same town?

Comment

• ccsmod2
        ccsmod2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi,
        Thanks for reaching out. That sounds like a tough situation to be in. No one deserves to be abused physically or mentally. Sorry that you are having to deal with that.
        First we are not legal experts and the laws do vary from state to state especially since you are so close to being 18. From our understanding there are a few different options you have. First you could see if your father or step father would be able to take custody of you in the mean time until you turn 18.
        Since you are also being abused by your mother you could also file an abuse report which in many situations they do like to make sure that individuals are first with relatives so that could potentially lead to you living with your dad or step-dad. Again though we are not legal experts and don’t know how all of that would play out.
        If you want to discuss you’re situation further we’re here 24/7 and would be able to further talk about your situation and the different options you have. Our phone number is 800-RUNAWAY. Thanks again for reaching out.
        Best,
        NRS

I’m a 18 year old with a 17 year old girlfriend where we both live in Clark county. My girlfriend has been told multiple time to get out and has been shoved into a wall and her truck battery taken out and her truck taken while she’s at school. She wants to stay with me in Marshall but is threatened by her parents that they will call the cops and get me in trouble. Can she legally live with me when she has less than 6 months from turning 18 without getting myself in trouble.

Comment

• ccsmod11
        ccsmod11 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi, thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If your girlfriend leaves home, her parents may file her as a runaway and she may be returned home. Also, those she stays with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

It’s great that your girlfriend has support and concern from you especially since this time is quite difficult for them. Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. We are here as support to help you and your girlfriend through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Best, NRS

Hello I have a question. I am a mother of a 17 year old girl and she doesn't want to be here. She wants to do what she wants and I have already had DCFS called on me because I had diciplined her. She has moved out and I want to know what my rights as a parent are I don't want my other children took because she is making it hard for me. I have reached out for help on multiple occasions and all I have gotten was there is nothing we can do about it. So what am I supposed to do with her leaving. Can she just go do I need to report anything. What can I do so it won't fall back on me or my other children?

Comment

• ccsmod2
        ccsmod2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello There,
        Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time right now. We are not legal experts but we do have some information on the laws. In most states the legal age to leave home is 18. As a parent you do have the right to file a runaway report, and usually the police would make your daughter return home. If you do not file a runaway report you could be charged with neglect. There is another resource that may be helpful to you, it is called Team Hope. Team Hope is an organization ran by volunteers who have gone through something similar. Team Hope can be reached at 1866-305-4673.
        We hope this information will be helpful to you. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support. We wish you the best of luck!
        NRS

I’m 17 and a half and I want to move to Pa.where my girlfriend lives and is pregnant do I both parents consent or just one I live in Il.

Comment

• ccsmod1
        ccsmod1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.
        It sounds like you're in a sticky situation as it looks like your parents are at odds about you leaving home. Due to the complexity of the situation, you may want to reach out to a local legal aid group for counsel. You can also try contacting your local nonemergency police line (you can usually just dial 311) to see if they would take a runaway report if one of your parents OK'ed you to leave.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
        NRS

I am trying to figure out what the legal age is to move out of your house without being reported as "runaway". what am I able to do to help me get out of my home and how hard is it to get emancipated? I turn 17 on July 15th. I have a good job, place to stay and very good grades

Comment

• ccsmod6
        ccsmod6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are a very resourceful and ambitious young person. While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. It is our understanding that so long as you are considered a minor in your state, your parents will be entitled to file a runaway report if you left home without their permission. One option that would enable you to be considered a legal adult would be emancipation, as you mentioned. Emancipation laws vary from state to state, but we would be happy to provide you with our information on what your state’s emancipation policies are. We can also refer you to youth legal resources, which would be able to provide you with precise informations regarding emancipation and how to go about beginning that process. If you would like to talk to us more specifically about what’s going on, we would be happy to provide whatever assistance we can. Please don’t hesitate to contact us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or on chat at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
        NRS

I have a question if I decide to leave for a day and come back that same day but if my mom calls the cops and i am 17 almost 18 but still can't do anything bc of my mom will the cops go n get me bc she says so
      ​​​​​​

Comment

• ccsmod1
        ccsmod1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It sounds really frustrating to have your mom limit your independence. We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, since you are still 17 your home your mom can file a runaway report if you leave home, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your mom. Depending on how close you are til turning 18 the police may or may not make you return home - this policy can vary greatly from town to town. It may be a good idea to contact your local nonemergency police line (you can usually just dial 311) to see what your local policy is.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
        NRS

Can I run away from home if I’m seventeen I lived in on illnoise

Comment

• ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out. We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, since you are still 17 your guardian can file a runaway report if you leave home, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your mom. Depending on how close you are to turning 18 the police may or may not make you return home - this policy can vary greatly from town to town. It may be a good idea to contact your local non-emergency police line (you can usually just dial 311) to see what your local policy is.

Stay safe,
        NRS
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X