Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

17 and in Ohio. Am I Legally able to runaway?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im 16 and wont be 17 till november an i wanted to know if i could run away because i live eith my gradparents an my two youger siblings an i dint feel safe in my house ive already talked to child potective cervices an they said that i cant leave unless its an enmergancy an it is because my grandmother always make us kids do everything in thw house well i know some is normale chores but like every day i come home we always have to do something every ten min or we get in trouble an my grandfather is sycotice an bipolor an ADHD an we have an gun coulpe of them an the clips to them an im scared when he dont take his medisine hes gana shot us because he has said to us kids before that he would want to iill us kids or hurt us an ive been living with my geand paerntd for about 11 years an my grandpaerents were only to have us in custity for two years but no they r illegale in ohio an texas so they ran off to here in ohio please someone contact me or my high school its philo high school

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. That can be the hardest part sometimes. It sounds like you are having a pretty hard time at home and thinking about leaving and wondering what your options are.
      Unfortunately we are not legal experts here, so we can’t provide specific legal advice but can give you some general guidance. We are here 24/7 at our crisis line at 1-800-786-2929 if you want to talk more with us. We could also talk about what’s going on more at home, since we don’t know the specifics of the custody agreement that your grandparents have. Running away is not illegal, but if your grandparents have custody of you, they could have you returned from wherever you go. You also want to think about where you would go if you do runaway. There can be some consequences involving the filing of a runaway report by your grandparents or perhaps the chances of someone getting charged with harboring a runaway. It is often left to police discretion for how they handle these issues locally.
      We also want to make sure that you are safe at home. You mentioned that your grandfather has a gun and that you’re scared that he might shoot you if he doesn’t take his medicine. If you are really feeling like he might hurt you, you can also call your local police. If there is anyone else you know in your area, friends or adult, that could be helpful also to have them to talk to. Sometimes finding other things to do to take your minds off things can also be a great way to feel better, whether it be sports, music, tv, or things like that. You mentioned siblings also, so we of course want you all to be safe.
      Hopefully we have given you some options, and as mentioned earlier we are here 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929. We do have the option of conference calling with you and your grandparent or grandparents too if that would be an option for you. We’re here to listen. Here to help. Best of luck.

Hi my girlfriend is 17 we both live in different states she has an abusive father who physically and verbally abuses her and her step siblings we have been talking about getting her away from him but we don’t know what to do she will be 18 in February and she can’t take it anymore she’s scared to go to the cops and child services has been called but they never find anything wrong because he threatens the kids before they show up I know the consequences of harboring her and everything but she has no one else please help?

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, thanks for reaching out to us at NRS.
      It’s hard to say exactly what the cops would do in the situation you’re describing. Running away as a minor isn’t technically illegal, but her dad has the ability to file a police report which could prompt the cops to bring her home. Since your girlfriend has one month before she is of the legal age to leave home, and there are several abuse allegations, it is very possible that the cops will not pursue looking for her or pursue getting you in legal trouble for harboring a runaway—but we can’t guarantee that. It sounds like you’re concerned for her well-being, though, and you want to do anything you can to keep her safe, so it’s up to both of you in terms of what you feel more comfortable with. Any evidence that she can secretly collect of the abuse (videos, pictures of bruising, etc.) for both her and her step siblings can only help her case in a situation if the cops were to find her and try to bring her home.
      It could be beneficial for her to discuss the situation with a teacher, counselor, or health care professional who should be able to advocate for her in ensuring that both she is safe, along with her siblings who continue to be in her father’s care. Although you mentioned that Child Services have already been called, hotlines like the National Child Abuse Hotline (800) 422-4453 can provide further guidance, or even assist with filing another abuse report, if the initial evaluation was unsuccessful.
      Please know that you and your girlfriend are always welcome to call us on our 24/7, completely confidential hotline (800) 786-2929 to discuss the situation further and explore options or resources that might be helpful. We wish you the best of luck!
      NRS

Im 17 living in Ohio and i want to leave. My mom is verbally abusive and we dont get along. We fight everyday and we have no respect for eachother. Im going to be 18 in 3 months, can I leave without emancipation forms or what do i have to do to get out of here.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

We’re so sorry to hear that your mom is verbally abusive. No one deserves to be abused. Thank you for reaching out and recognizing the importance of your wellbeing and safety.

Because you’re still 17 and the age of majority in Ohio is 18, you would still be considered a runaway if you left home. We’re not legal experts here, but we can give some general information on what running away looks like. As a status offense, running away is only illegal due to age and won’t go on a criminal record. However, your mom would have the right to file a runaway report and police could force you to return home. Anyone you stayed with might also be liable for harboring a runaway, which is considered a crime. However, how police react to runaways, especially runaways who are almost 18, varies by area. If you’d like, you can call us at 1(800)786-2929 and we can call out with you to the police nonemergency number of your county and find out how they would treat a runaway case at 17.

It sounds like you’re interested in any option that might help you leave home. If you call us or use or chat when it is open at 1800runaway.org, we can discuss your situation in more detail and help you make a plan and figure out how to best stay safe.

Thanks again for reaching out to us.

We wish you the best of luck,

NRS

Can I move out at 17 I have my high school diploma and I’m in hair school

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out! It sounds like you are doing really well for yourself! This may be in spite of some difficult circumstances at home or it’s time for the next stage in your life, so let’s explore some options.
      The easiest thing is if your mom, dad, guardian, is supportive and can help you get on your feet in the world. If this is a possibility but it’s a conversation that is hard to start, feel free to call us and we can support you in that conversation and even having the conversation with your parents with you to help advocate for you. Our phone number is 1-800-RUNAWAY.
      This is not always the situation, so let’s look at what happens if you were to leave home. We are not legal experts but we can speak generally. If you are under 18, you are in the care of your guardian. If you leave, your guardian has the right to file a runaway report with your local police department. This is not a criminal offense but a statutory offense. You mentioned you were 17 and in some police departments they will not take runaway reports for folks so close to 18. To find out if this is the case in your area, you can call the non-emergency police department in your area. Again, if that is something that we can support you with, all calls to our number are anonymous and we can look up your PD number together and call them together.
      If you need help finding resources as you go out on your own, we can help with that. Some resources that might be helpful are Transitional Living Programs, which are low or no fee shelters for extended stay. A lot of times they have additional resources like childcare, counseling, meal programs, and other support as you find your footing in your adult life. We can also search for counseling, meal programs, child care and other programs separately. If any of these would be helpful, or you would like to talk further about your situation, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us.
      Again, we’re really glad that you reached out to us. It takes a lot to ask for help and you are trying to figure out your options which is really good to see. Contact us anytime. We’re here to listen, here to help.

I live in an abusive home where i can literally get hit in the head multiple times for saying something or having an opinion. Im 17 and can i run away

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are going through a whole lot living in an abusive home. No one deserves to be abused, and you should be able to feel safe in your own home. Please call 911 if you feel like you are in immediate danger or if you feel like you need medical attention after being hit in the head so much. Here at NRS, we truly want to help.

Legally, as a 17 year old your main right is to report the abuse to child protective services. If they find the abuse highly dangerous they would remove you from your household. To learn about your reporting rights your might reach out to the expert child advocates at Child Help 1-800-422-4453. Again, no one deserves to be harmed.

In most states, the legal age you can leave home without permission is 18. If you leave home at 17 your parents have the right to report you as a runaway to local police. If you are found, you typically would be returned home. Since you are so close to turning 18, you might call your local police station's non-emergency number and ask hypothetical questions about leaving home at 17.

There might be additional options for you if we know more about your situation. Please do not hesitate to call or chat us so we can talk through your situation, help brainstorm your options, and look for helpful resources for you. You should not have to go through this alone and we want to be a support for you.

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think.

Best,

NRS

I'm 16, 17 soon and live in Ohio. My step dad is abusive physically, emotionally, and mentally. My step sister who is 29 and still lives at home with her 5 year old daughter treats me like her maid, making me do everything for her and her daughter. My mom doesn't do anything about any of it. I do all the chores in the house, work and am forced to give up my entire check, plus no one worries about my school which is online, they make me do things before my schoolwork everyday. They won't let me have any contact with my biological family on my dad's side, who has visitation rights that are not being honored. I miss my family and am tired of being treated like a slave and told no one wants me. How can I leave without my parents permission?

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

It sounds like you are going through a very difficult time right now, so we are glad you are reaching out to us because we are here to help. We know that asking for help isn’t easy, but we want you to know that you are not alone.

You mentioned that your step dad is physically, emotionally, and mentally abusive. We want you to know that reporting that abuse to Child Protective Services is always an option. Child Help USA (1-800-422-4453 / www.childhelp.org) is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They would be able to talk you through the process of abuse reporting and describe the investigation process to you. National Runaway Safeline (1-800-RUNAWAY) is able to conference call with you if you would like help and support while making the abuse report, or we can make one for you! After an abuse report is made, CPS will investigate it. Child Help may also be a good place to explore options for staying with someone you trust, such as your dad and transferring custody.

You also mentioned that you have been unable to contact you biological family on your dad’s side and that their visitations rights are not being honored. While we are not legal experts, we can offer to connect you to legal aid in your area. They would be able to better asses your situation and explore your options. If you wanted to call us at the 1-800-RUNAWAY number we mentioned before or tell us what county in Ohio you are in on this forum post, we can connect you to legal aid.

You also mentioned that no one worries about your school. It sounds like you’ve had to be self-motivated, and it’s very admirable of you to take care of your own education. Is there a chat or forum through your online program that could offer help/guidance? Using resources tied to your program may help you to find support even if your family is not offering it to you at the moment. Another resource that may be of help is www.schooltrainer.com. They may be able to offer free chat sessions and comprehensive message forums to help you through assignments.

You also asked how you can leave without your parents’ permission. While we are not legal experts, we can let you know that running away isn’t illegal but can be considered a status offense. That means that while it is not against the law to run away, since you are under 18, your guardians can report you as a runaway to the police. They may also have the option to press charges against anyone that takes you in (including friends and family). Have you thought about where you would go once you left? If you need help thinking of options on where to go or if you would like help looking for shelters, our hotline is 24/7 and available to help you think through your options. Another resource that may be able to help you find shelter is United Way. They can be reached by dialing 211.

Again, we are glad you are reaching out to us because we are here to help, but also to listen. If you wanted to discuss any of the options we mentioned above or think through other ideas, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best of luck!

Okay so I live in the state of Ohio and would like to know am I allowed to run away from home I’m 17 will be 18 in may and just want more freedom and could I get in trouble for going to another state and living with a friend till I’m 18 come back home and explain what happened and why I left

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We see you are hoping to gain some independence. Though it is basically not against the law to runaway it is against the law to harbor a runaway. This means that the friend you stay with could be charged with harboring a runaway if your parents chose to press charges. Also, if an adult (anyone 18 or older) assisted in getting you across state lines they, too, could find themselves in legal trouble. You don't mention want your current family relationship is. If you get along with your parents perhaps you could ask their permission to stay at your friend's. Again, thanks for reaching out to us. We know it can be difficult to ask for help when one is trying to figure out their options. If you would like to talk more about your situation feel free to call or chat with us. We're here to listen, here to help.

I'm not sure how this works but I just wanted to talk to someone who can help. Im 17 I have till June 4th to be 18. In also live in ohio I've looked up plenty of laws and legal forms to figure out if i can be emancipated.
    My life at my house is not safe for me anymore. My mom is both mentally and physically abusive..
    I do not have a dad in my life and it seems he has no interest in taking care of me either.
    My mom has told me, I could not contact him myself because my mom smashed my phone. I need help out of my situation, on a constant basis my mom is on the verge of hitting me daily now. She cannot control her anger and
    although she has continued to be abusive I just cant seem to call the cops on her or press charges, shes still my mom. I just want to escape from where im at in life. I had a job and still do well in school, I know if I run away
    I also have more job opportunities, jobs have been offering 12-13$ an hour I would also have help from a close friend.
    I however have threatened running away and my mom stated she would file unruly charges on me, Im going into the military after high school and cant afford to have anything on my record...
    I also know 7 months isn't an eternity but It also feels that way. If there is any thing I should know about, running away

Thankyou

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

First off, thanks so much for reaching out. It can be really hard for people in your situation to ask for advice, but it’s a very important step. Nobody deserves to be abused by their parents or anyone else, mentally, physically, or otherwise. It sounds like you know that it’s best for you to stay somewhere else, but you’re not sure how you’d be able to.

We can start by giving you more information on the options you mentioned. Emancipation is sometimes possible, but is a long legal process that often requires the parent’s consent. It’s unlikely that emancipation would solve your problem much sooner than your 18th birthday.

It’s totally understandable that you wouldn’t want to call the cops on your mom – she is your mom after all, and that’s a really common feeling. You should know though that you can report abuse without going directly to the police, and criminal charges aren’t the only outcome of abuse reports. In Ohio, when someone reports abuse, first a child protective services investigator interviews the family members. Then, the investigator can refer the family to social service agencies that they think will help make the home a safer place, or sometimes to family or criminal court. If they determine that you can’t be safe in your own home, they’ll work to find you a safer place to stay until you’re 18. If you want to report without calling the police, you can call 855-642-4453.

It’s great that you’ve managed to still do well in school, and even find potential jobs! That says a lot about your character. It’s also great that you have friends who are willing to help out. When it comes to running away, you should know that usually running away isn’t a crime that goes on your record. It’s what’s called a “status offense” – something that is only against the law because of your age – and in most cases goes off your record once you turn 18. To double check, you could call your local sheriff’s office and ask them what the rules are in your county. We’d also be able to call them for you, if you call or chat us sometime. In most cases, the police won’t actually file any sort of charges, especially since you’re so close to being 18.

If you do decide to report or run away, we’d love if you could let us know so we can talk through your plan. It’s important that no matter what you do, you stay in a safe place that provides for your needs, including your ability to stay in school. You can post on this forum again if you want, or you can call us (1-800-786-2929) or chat us on our website, anytime 24/7. Good luck!

-NRS

So I'm 17 and I'm 7 months away from turning 18. My step dad treats me like absolute ********. My mom doesn't do anything about but makes me feel like I'm not wanted. I have to work my schedule around there's for my school work and for my job. I only live a 20 minute walk from my job and a 7 minute car ride from my job too. I told them that i could walk but they told me no. I get shoved off to the side while my sister's get spoiled and get everything that they want. I have to clean up after everyone and clean the whole house with no help. I'm the oldest child but I feel like I'm everyone's maid. What do I do because I can not live there anymore.

Comment

• ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It's not right for your family to be making you feel like you're not wanted around, and it's good that you're taking this step to reach out for support and take care of yourself. You don't have to go through this alone. We're a 24/7 confidential hotline and that means you can give us a call anytime if you'd like to talk to someone in more detail about what's going on at home and you can do, at 1-(800)-RUNAWAY.

It sounds like your stepdad is treating you really unfairly and that your mom isn't listening to what you need to feel better at home. That's a tough and unfair position for you to be in. You're in school and you also have a job, so it sounds like you're a responsible person who wants to be able to do things for yourself. It makes sense that you feel frustrated and unhappy at home when you are being asked to clean the house without help and being told that you're not allowed to walk to your job when that's what you'd prefer to do.

Think about what typically happens when you try to talk to your mom and stepdad about the way they're treating you and the way it makes you feel. There might be a way you can approach the conversation or a time of day that would make them more likely to listen to you and consider your feelings. Sometimes writing your feelings down in a letter can help. It can also be helpful to think about who else in your life you can talk to about what's been going on, such as another family member who is a good listener, a friend or a teacher who might be able to give you their perspective on what you can do. If you think it might be helpful to talk to your mom with a third person there to listen to both of you and help you make sure your voice is heard, the NRS does offer an option to have youth conference call with their parents. So if you want to give us a call anytime and discuss it, that could be an option for you.

Until you turn 18, you might face some challenges in leaving home. Typically people under 18 who leave home are considered runaways, and that means that if your parents or authorities find you after you leave then they can bring you back home. That also means that it might be harder to find somewhere else to stay without your parents' permission. It isn't illegal for you to runaway, but it could be illegal for a person to let you stay with them without your parents' permission, so that's something to keep in mind.

If you feel like you definitely must leave home, think about whether there is a relative or a friend you would feel safe staying with even temporarily. Think about how your parents might react if you did go stay with another family member or friend. If you give us a call we are always available to talk over those options with you.

In the meantime while you're living at home, think about ways that you can cope with the bad treatment that you're getting. You know you don't deserve to be made to feel unwanted. Sometimes talking to friends about what you're going through, writing down your thoughts and feelings about it in a journal or letter, or doing a hobby that you enjoy can help people deal with temporary circumstances that aren't ideal. You're taking a brave step by reaching out to us for help and by exploring what your options are, so thanks for taking care of yourself.

Good luck!

I am 12 years old and I was wondering if I’m to runaway from home in Ohio and the city Middletown will I get aressted.? But I haven’t ran away yet

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

My daughter who is 17 ans will be 18 in 3 months was adopted by my mother since she was 10. She had recently ran away and stayed with some friends for almost a week. My oldest daughter had to go get her from the friend that my youngest was staying at. She stayed for a few days. My youngest returned back to school today. My oldest daughter had informed me that the school had Children's Services take her out of school and that she is intake from Children's Services. What happens when Intake gets involved. My youngest daughter does not want to return to my mother's home because of,the emotional and mental abuse that she was subjected to not only by my mom but also by my 2 evil sisters are also involve with this abuse. Plus my youngest has stated that she does not feel safe going back. I know she has that right. So right now my main concern is what is the Children's Services Intake process involve? Would they honor her wishes of not returning to my mom's place and allow her to stay with me or her sister? Need help understanding the whole Children's Services Intake process and what likely will be the outcome.

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      Thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you’re in a very difficult situation and care very much about your children’s well-being. We here are not experts, so we cannot say what the intake process would involve or what the outcome would be. Your best resource would be calling your local Children’s Services to ask about next steps. For more specific information on children services and how placement works, you can call the National Child Abuse Hotline (also known as Child Help) at 1-800-422-4453. We hope this was helpful and we wish you the best of luck. If you have further questions you are welcome to call us at 1-800-786-2929.
      --NRS

I am 17, and will be 18 in 3 months. I live with my mother who constantly verbally, physically, and emotionally abuses me. I want to move out and live with my boyfriend when he gets his place. I work a part-time job and can financially support myself. I am also able to get myself back and forth to work and school better than my mother can. I live in ohio and it says there is no emancipation laws, is there any way I can legally move out?

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension - no one deserves to be abused in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

In terms on the legality of moving out; we aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your mother can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your mother. Since you are so close to turning 18, the police might not make you return home. It might be a good idea to reach out to your local nonemergency police line (you can usually just call 311) to check on state and local policy.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
      NRS

Im 17, i live in ohio, and my home life is horrible, i currently live with my mom because my father is abusive, and my mom not much different, what would the legal consequences be if i ran away to my grandma's or cosins house?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at NRS. It sounds like neither of your parents are offering you a safe place to live and you are thinking about leaving to live with another family member. Abuse of any kind is never okay and it is understandable you would be thinking about leaving.

We are not legal experts, but we can speak generally on this. If you leave home without permission, your mom can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means your mom can ask police to return you home if she knows where you are staying. Now, police protocol can vary and not all police respond the same way to runaway reports. In some cases, they might not enforce a runaway report for someone who is so close to turning 18. We suggest young people wanting to know more about possible scenarios call out to their local police department's non-emergency line to ask about your situation. You can ask if police would even take a runaway report and if they would force you back home if they know you are safe.

You do always have the option to report the abuse to police or child protective services if needed.

We hope this information help. We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Stay safe and good luck,
      NRS

So im 12 and my home lifes is not so great i want to run away with my mom but i dont know if i would be able to stay with her. And if i was how long could someone cantact celina police to ask.

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,

NRS

I am 15. I am going through a rough time mentally. I have reached out to my mom for help but have yet to get any. She is a good mother but I get verbally abused by her also. I want out of this house but I don't want to be in foster care where me and my sisters will get split up. I need help

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there. Thanks for contacting us here at NRS. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step. It sounds like you're having a tough time from a mental health standpoint, and we're sorry to hear that you're not feeling very supported at home.

As you continue to think things through, it's important that you have an understanding of how things work as far as abuse reporting and/or any potential interactions with Child Protective Services (CPS). One of the primary goals of the work that CPS does is to keep families together, unless they determine that the children in the home are in imminent danger. With that in mind, removing children from their homes and placing them into foster care is not all that common, and it's likely that this won't be something you have to worry about. If you were to file an abuse report on your mother, based on the verbal abuse that you're experiencing or her unwillingness to ensure you're receiving mental health services, an investigation may be conducted to determine how CPS can best help. Ultimately what they decide to do next is up to them and is based on what they learn throughout their investigation, but it could mean that they put measures in place to address the issues that are happening, like therapy or anger management classes. If you have any questions about filing a report, what it entails, or would like to learn more about child abuse in general, Childhelp is a great resource to utilize. They're a child abuse hotline and you can reach out to them by texting or calling 1-800-422-4453, or by chatting with them live at www.childhelp.org.

Another route to consider in getting your mental health concerns addressed is to reach out to your school social worker or counselor. Sometimes you can talk with them for a few sessions without your parent's consent, and they can also help advocate for you to continue seeing someone from that point on.

If you'd like to chat in more detail about what's going on, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY, or by chatting with us live at www.1800runaway.org. We're available 24/7 and are always happy to listen, and to help.

Take care!

NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X