No announcement yet.

15 runaway GA / AL

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 15 runaway GA / AL

    so, my partner (15) is in a really abusive situation. theyre miserable all the time and i really want to help them. i have the chance to help them run away soon, and i'm wondering if it's illegal to help them run away, or to house them after running away? what can their mom do? their mom doesn't know my address currently.

  • #2
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things that your partner is going through at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry that they're going through this. They don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If they are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage them or you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. They may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If they ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
    Often, having a safe space to share how they’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. are They not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help them through this challenging time.
    If they would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website (click on the chat button) if they are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. They know their situation best
    We hope to hear from you or them soon.

    18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

    We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please contact our 24/7 crisis support line either by phone or chat.

    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).

    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

    We hope to hear from you soon.

    Be safe,


    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      hi i am 15 turning 16 in a few monthes, my father is abusive and im planning on running away i have told my school about the abuse and they told the police. the police have told me that they nor cps can do anything about it because theres not enough physical abuse going on. i live in illinois and need to know a few legal things such as if i runaway and have help from my mom(who does not have custody or parental rights) would she get in trouble. another question is if i stay at friends houses will my friends or their parents get in legal troubles if they do not say anything to the police


      • ccsmod3
        ccsmod3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you are experiencing abuse from your father which is never something you deserve. It is also frustrating that police have said that they and CPS cannot do anything to help just because there is not more physical abuse happening. There are absolutely other types of abuse, can be harder to prove, but it does not mean that it is not happening or that you do not deserve to get the help that you need. So anyone you stay with who your father does not give permission to house you, could get in trouble for what’s called harboring a runaway, though the penalty for that can vary a bit. It seems like one of your options is mom and it could be possible to ask mom if she can try and get custody so that you would be able to legally live with her. We are here to help and support as best as we can if you would like to talk more about this or talk through some other options that might help. If this interests you, please either call our hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat us online at We hope to hear from you soon.
        Be safe,
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp