No announcement yet.

im 17 and gragueate in december and my parent is trying to isolate me after wards

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • im 17 and gragueate in december and my parent is trying to isolate me after wards

    OK, so I'm 17 and will turn 18 next May. My mom is unstable; she treats me with physical violence and threatens to leave me at stores if I get more than 5 feet from her or want to go in, and she wants me to stay in the car. The only reason I have to manage to get her to stay in our town with all my family is that I want to graduate high school online, and in December I will, but she says as soon as that happens, she will take me and leave this town, making sure I have no way of contacting them. I have no friends in real life only online like hundreds of miles away and I dotn want to be isolated with her she it compiley toxic and has bipoler sicsofrineya and she yells and blames me for things that I never did and blame for thing others did cause its somehow my flalt and she gona take away the only way I can contact my family if I dont do eczacly what she says and I don't know what to do at decmeber she goona try and take me away from all of my family and make she I have no contact an I'm scared i dont want to be alone with her hundred of mils away form the only people that can help me that the trowign thing at me with get that achshule hitting like she tretans and she shouting will worsen when she make shur i have no were to run to I've done my best for 5 year to make sure she cant do this with the excuse of school but now i wont have that and if i falil on poupus witch i do not want to do she will be even made im schard and what should i do i know i cant go to family coause they will be charged with habering a runaway minor and i cant do that to them what should i do that she can't just take me and run im so scared ani advise?

  • #2
    (If you are in danger for any reason, please call the police or go to your local emergency room.)

    Hi there,
    Thank you so much for reaching out. There is some really serious stuff you are going through with your mom that isn't right at all. It sounds like she is very controlling and is trying to isolate you from your family and from the rest of the world and that's not okay. We are grateful you shared a little piece of your story with us, and we are here to listen and to help as much as we possibly can.

    If you're being abused or neglected, you have the right to report it. We can help you learn more about this process and help you file a report when you're ready. You can also visit our friends at ChildHelp ( to learn more about the abuse reporting process and for help filing a report.

    You might already know this, but the second you turn 18 you are able to live away from your mom and choose where you live. We can help you come up a plan for what this might look like. You're right that if you do live with other family they could be charged with harboring a runaway, however this is just a possibility. If you go stay with another family member and they call the police within 24 hours and tell them that you are there and escaping a dangerous situation with your mom, that can help avoid charges. Additionally since you're 17 some police may choose not to pursue 17 year old runaway cases. Again though, this is just a possibility. The way to know for sure would be to call your local non-emergency police line and ask what might happen with your case without giving away identifying details. If you reach out to us, we can also help you contact police to ask these questions.

    We can also help you find emergency housing if things get really dangerous and you aren't safe staying with your mom anymore.

    If you choose to stay at home, we can help you figure out the best way make things okay. This might be figuring out how to talk to her about what's going on, or having a conference call with us so you have someone to support you. It might look like identifying your support network that you can lean on for advice or making a plan for what to do, who to talk to, and how to take care of yourself when things get bad. We can help you figure out how to let your other family members know if you're in danger.

    We would be grateful to hear more about your story and give you more personalized guidance. The NRS is available 24/7 via online chat or by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We hope to hear from you soon, best of luck!
    -NRS Crisis Team

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp