No announcement yet.

Big 'ol problem

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Big 'ol problem

    So, I'm 17 and I will be turning 18 in January. I am currently on probation until I turn 18, and I was wondering if I'd be able to move out the day I turn 18. I want to move in with my boyfriend and transfer to his school, but I don't know how to do so. So, basically, I need to know if I can move out as soon as I turn 18 and if I can change schools without my parents permission... Thank you!

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thanks for reaching out to NRS. We are always here to listen and support in any way that we can. We are not legal experts, but the laws regarding the legal age of majority in each state varies. If you are in a state where the age of majority is 18, then legally you would be able to leave your house and you should be allowed to enroll yourself into another school. An option can be to talk with your current school and potentially the school that you are wanting to go to, to see if they can help in any way. If you would like to discuss this further, please call our hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat us online at We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp