Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emancipation

I am currently 16 and will turn 17 at the end of Jan. I am planning to get emanciapated as soon as possible but i have some questions. What if my parents refuse to sign the form(s)? I can prove abuse but i really really dont want to, is there any way around this? What happens after i get emancipated? How do i switch schools? Legally what will happen?

Re: emancipation

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Switchboard. We are glad that you felt comfortable enough to share the details of your situation.

Sounds like there are some issues going on at home that are leading you to seek information on how to legally get out of your parent's custody. Completely understandable. Currently, are you away from them?

All states haver their own requirements for the emancipation proceedings. Do you have contact information for an agency that will help you get started with this? We might be able to find you some more information if you don't have anything but please let us know which state you are reside.

In some cases parents do not want to have their youth live away from home or in a case like this, become emancipated. They can refuse to sign so talking about abuse might be something that works in yoru favor. Could you explain that to your parents? Would they be willing to have a sit-down conversation where everyone is heard and get a chance to speak and you can tlel them that you don't want this to blow up?

Sounds like you have a whole mess of research to do ahead of you. If you are willing and able to call in to our hotlines, please give us a call at 1800-RUNAWAY 24hrs a day and we can discuss your situation further.

Best of luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I am still currently living with my parents in Texas. I have tried to talk to them about several things before and no matter how big or small the situation is, they always blow up and dont understand a single word im saying. We have already tried going to family therapy and that resulted in me getting thrown into a mental institution (because I said that I had considered suicide before) and my parents almost getting a divorce (apparently all because of me) so please dont try and get me to sit down to fix this stuff, im beyond talking. I have gone to my couselor but so far I have gotten no advice or information. All I know is what I have read on the internet and I dont know how reliable that is. I should be able to call but im not allowed on the phone or computer because they dont want me talking to anyone. I also got busted with pot and cigarettes 2 weeks ago at my house and they tested me for drugs. I failed because I had taken adderall and pot a couple days before. There was no legal involvement and I have no record (except for me running away from school in 5th grade so I didnt have to go home).However I am currently sober and my system is clean. Could this impact me getting to leave?

Comment

Thanks so much for writing in again and explaining more about your situation. It sounds like you are really frustrated with living at home right now and that you have tried to work on things with your parents but feel they just aren’t willing to listen. You mentioned that you have done family counseling but that it is still very hard to communicate with them and it’s gotten to the point you don’t want to be there anymore.

Have you spoken with your parents about not wanting to live there anymore? Do you have a safe place you are planning on staying at if you do leave or get emancipated? Do you have a way to provide for yourself on a daily basis, like getting regular meals?

It’s certainly understandable that you are frustrated with the situation. Now we are not lawyers here by any means so we can’t say for sure what the courts would do if you did file a petition for emancipation. In most cases courts generally look at if a youth has a separate place to live besides their parent’s home and if they are self supporting. Also in most states the age of majority is 18, when you are considered an adult and can leave on your own, but in Texas the age of majority usually is dependent on the county that you are in. Some police may say that at 17 youth can leave the home and they can’t do much to make them go back if they don’t want to. Some questions you may want to consider are…

What would I do if I was unable to get emancipated? If I left the house, would my parents get the police involved? Do I have a safe place and a safe plan to go somewhere else if I decide to leave my home? Is there anything that may make living at home better?

If you want to get more information on emancipation it may be an option to speak with a legal aid organization. We don’t know where in Texas you are located but below is a number to legal services if you wanted to get some more specific information.

Legal Services of North Texas
        1-888-529-5277

It may also be beneficial to speak with local police and just ask what the age of majority is in your county. If you didn’t feel you wanted to describe your story, just asking as a hypothetical may give you some insight. Also remember that the National Runaway Switchboard is here 24 hours a day to help in any way we can. We are here to listen, discuss options, and even find resources if needed. We can also help make conference calls with you if you need help getting in contact with any agencies. Best of luck with everything and take care.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

i am planning on living with my boyfriend and his family but I might have to find another place because I have yet to talk to him this week. I am in Montgomery county and we just moved so I dont know what the laws are so far. I am planning on staying in school and getting a job once I leave, I am already looking for one as we speak. I dont want me leaving the house to be a negative thing, but I already know my parents are going to flip about it.

Comment

It sounds like you have a plan and are now just trying to figure out how to make it legal. Emancipation usually goes through your county courthouse. If you want to look into the laws concerning emancipation in Montgomery County, the number for the County Court is #936-539-7973. We hope you’re able to find a plan that you’re comfortable with. If you want to discuss your situation further, you’re welcome to call us anytime. We’re here 24/7. Best of luck.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
            x
            x
            Working...
            X