Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

am i allowed to leave the house if my parent knows where im going?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• am i allowed to leave the house if my parent knows where im going?

im 16 and i live in georgia. right now, i am living with my grandmother because im in an ongoing DFCS case and have been ordered to not be home. like my dad, my grandma is really strict with how im live and wont allow me to go anywhere without the threat of kicking me out and making me go back home TO AN ABUSIVE PARENT. am i legally allowed to go out somewhere for the day, with her knowledge of where im going, without being kicked out? is she allowed to kick me out if i leave for a few hours? sometimes her and i get into tough arguments and she tells me she doesnt want to see my face or be in her presence so i tell her im leaving for the day to blow off some steam and then tells me she wishes i was home and not with her and if i leave, to not come back to her house. thanks for the help in advance

Hi, thank you for reaching out to NRS! Your home life sounds like it has been quite tough. Being around a strict guardian can definitely add to the stress you’re already experiencing. Likewise, your grandmother’s threats probably are not helping. Verbal and emotional abuse, like her threats, are not ok and are not your fault. The hurtful things she is saying are more of a reflection of her and her inability to cope with stress. It’s understandable that you want to leave for the day and blow off some steam. Unfortunately, we are not legal experts so it’s hard to know if she legally can or cannot kick you out. General legal aid in your area might have more information on that. If for some reason she did follow through on her threats, it might be grounds for you or someone else to report neglect. Also, speaking with your case manager might be useful. Perhaps they could speak with your grandmother about her behavior, record a paper trail of her threats/actions, or make a case for you to be in placed into an alternative living arrangement. Remember you are strong, valued, and important! You will get through this. We encourage you to reach out to us anytime via our phone hotline or online chat service. We are available 24/7. Stay safe and stay strong!

NRS

1-800-RUNAWAY

1800runaway.org
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X