No announcement yet.

Emotionally and on a few occasions physically abusive mother.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ccsmod0
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
    You mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,

    Leave a comment:

  • Guest
    Guest started a topic Emotionally and on a few occasions physically abusive mother.

    Emotionally and on a few occasions physically abusive mother.

    Hi I’m Audrey, I’m 16 I’ll be 17 the 27 of July. My mother is in her late 30’s. Her and my dad split up around 7 years ago and I had to live with her. She has been emotionally abusive to me since then and on a few occasions got physical with me. It’s gotten so bad here lately that I want to runaway. She has full custody of me from my dad but the way she did it doesn’t seem legal. She got the him to sign in jail while he was high on drugs ( he’s sober now) and even lied to him about no child support and visitation rights. He has a room for me and will take care of me. She has also threatened for years to send me off and threatened to call the cops on my friends. She has called the cops on me several time for being “ out of control “ and makes me out to be the one in the wrong every time. She constantly tells me she doesn’t want me and she wish she’d never had me. She also has bipolar depression ( diagnosed) and has the medication but refuses to take it. She has even let my stepdad emotionally abuse me and hit me one time, my only problem there is I can’t call the police cause he’s a constable and is friends with the police so they never believe me, even when I told them I was afraid to live there anymore. She has told me she can get me sent off and the people I care about in trouble. I’m afraid to leave because if I get caught I feel that she will hurt me when I get back. I’m not sure what to do seeing as I have a baby sister this will affect too, but she won’t let me leave. What should I do?
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp