No announcement yet.

Can I be emancipated in New York? Places to stay?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can I be emancipated in New York? Places to stay?

    Hi, I'm currently 15 and will be turning 16 soon in November. I really want to be emancipated when I turn 16 for a lot of reasons. I know emancipation is very case by case, but do I even have a chance in New York? The law regarding emancipation is really confusing here, because from what I see it is *technically* possible but very difficult. CPS has been involved with my family many times but nothing has come out of any of their visits, and I do blame myself for that. I tended to lie to the workers because my parents would threaten me before I spoke with them. The last visit was only a bit over a year ago but before that there was a large gap, probably around 6-7 years. But the visit last year led to my sister being put into a psych ward for a year and I'm really afraid to get them involved again because of that. I'm wondering if maybe there IS a way to be emancipated without having to go through things like CPS in New York, like if there's some paperwork that just needs parental consent. I'm sure my father would give that consent. I know I can get a job if I'm emancipated too, since I have good connections. But things at home are getting worse each day and I've been seriously considering running away. The only issue is that I only have one person I could stay with, but I would never stay with her because she would be in danger for having a runaway and I know she's a first suspect of my father if anything were to happen. I could also stay with her if I were emancipated too. If I ran away is there anywhere I can stay where I wouldn't be sent back home?

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems that you are going through a lot at home and it is getting worse. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

    It seems that you are interested in getting emancipated without having to go through CPS even though you have gotten involved with CPS in the past. It also seems that you are interested in running away but would face some challenges with finding housing. Although we are not legal experts, we can help you understand what emancipation is like. Different states have different regulations and for the most part minors can petition a court for emancipation and be able to act as an adult and take care of themselves before they turn 18. Often, courts are wary about granting emancipation to minors because you will have to prove that you already have an income and that you can take care of yourself without parental help including a place to stay. Courts will also consider how you are doing in school as well as the health of your parents to see what would be best for you. In addition, it can be extremely difficult to find a place to stay when you are under 18, and the emancipation process can take many months or even a year costing a lot of money. The best way to learn about emancipation in your state is through a local lawyer.

    We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process. Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need legal resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

    We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please contact our 24/7 crisis support line either by phone or chat.

    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).

    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

    We hope to hear from you soon.

    Be safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp