Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

16 YO - WI - abusive household - what’s my rights?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 YO - WI - abusive household - what’s my rights?

Hi , my house is really bad for me. I did a forensic interview and have talked to law enforcement and CPS before but I was told today that I wouldn’t be able to leave my house, and that they wouldn’t take me out. They haven’t considered anything i’ve talked about abuse. I cannot understand why they think this. I have people I can live with , but I don’t want to get them in trouble by harboring a runaway, but I need to get out of my house sometime soon. Since school is ending it’s gonna get a lot harder for me. I don’t feel like CPS is going to do anything and I feel hopeless. I can’t live like this for two more years. If i made it to a runaway shelter can the police still bring me back to my house? When I asked my social worker what would happen if I ran away a lot she mentioned that I would see a judge? What would that entail? What would happen if I stayed with a friend? Is there any advice for what to do? I need to figure something out. Thank you.

Originally posted by Guest View Post
    Hi , my house is really bad for me. I did a forensic interview and have talked to law enforcement and CPS before but I was told today that I wouldn’t be able to leave my house, and that they wouldn’t take me out. They haven’t considered anything i’ve talked about abuse. I cannot understand why they think this. I have people I can live with , but I don’t want to get them in trouble by harboring a runaway, but I need to get out of my house sometime soon. Since school is ending it’s gonna get a lot harder for me. I don’t feel like CPS is going to do anything and I feel hopeless. I can’t live like this for two more years. If i made it to a runaway shelter can the police still bring me back to my house? When I asked my social worker what would happen if I ran away a lot she mentioned that I would see a judge? What would that entail? What would happen if I stayed with a friend? Is there any advice for what to do? I need to figure something out. Thank you.
    We're thankful you reached out to us. It sounds like you've been stuck in an environment that doesn't feel comfortable/safe for a long time, and haven't been receiving help when you need it. We're here to help you as best we can.

If you were to leave home and stay with someone else (preferably making sure it's someone you feel safe with, and whom you can tell other people are you staying with), they could potentially get charged with a crime if your parents/guardians reported you were missing, and chose to press charges against them. If you were staying with someone, they could also contact law enforcement to let them know you were there and why. It can be hard to give a definite answer on how this could unfold, because it can vary by individual police department. You can look up the non-emergency number for your local police department to ask, or if you live chat us or call us, we could call out on your behalf.

Frustratingly, most youth shelters will not let you stay unless you receive permission from a parent or caseworker.

If you do run away a lot, depending on your state, it is possible you could see a judge or potentially go to juvenile court-- not likely, but possible, depending on your state.

You always have options, each with potential risks and benefits. We are here to talk things through more thoroughly 24/7. Please don't hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or live chat us at 1800runaway.org. We are always 100% confidential, and want to get you the help you deserve. You don't have to deal with this alone.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X