Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 year old runaway

My father is abusive physically and mentally. I reached a breaking point and runaway to a safe place. He ended up reporting me as a runaway. I am almost a month away from my 18th birthday and I will not go back there.

Hello,

Thanks for contacting NRS. You have every right to be in a safe place. Please keep in mind that we are not legal experts. But if your dad reported you as a runaway it's possible that the police could return you home, however in many states the police may not return minors that are over 17. You might be able to contact the police anonymously on a non-emergency number to ask how they would usually deal with runaways, too.

We are glad to hear that you are in a safe place. If you haven't already tried to make an abuse report, you can use www.childhelp.org, which may show justification to why you should be allowed to stay in a safe place other than home. If you ever feel unsafe then seek immediate help from someone you trust or call 911. If you ever need someone to talk to you can text HOME to 741741 to the Crisis Text Line. For more specific assistance at anytime, we are available 24/7 at 1-800-runaway or via a live chat on our website www.1800runaway.org.

Take very good care of yourself, NRS.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X