Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running to different state

I am a teen from Montana who is in cps custody. I have a friend in Oregon whose mom is licensed to foster. If I ran away to Oregon and was caught, would they send me back to Montana or can the mom try to get me?

Hi there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing some of what is going on. It shows a lot of courage that you reached out for help and we’re so happy that you did! It sounds like you’re in a tough situation and we can understand the desire to be with your friend.

If you ever want to talk in more detail about your situation we are available by phone and chat 24/7. It’s important to note that we are not legal experts so we cannot advise on your specific case as to what might happen. However, in general if a youth is to run away from home and their parent or guardian (this can include a foster parent) contacts the police they would likely be returned home. Also, any person who harbors a minor that has run away may be at risk for getting in trouble. These are general guidelines in terms of runaway laws and we cannot say what would specifically happen in your case. If you wanted to talk through your situation more you can always call or chat us and we can try to help guide you or talk through options. It could also be helpful to talk to your caseworker and/or your friend’s mom about the preferred living arrangement and see what options they might be able to help you with.

We hope this was helpful information and hope you reach out if there is anything else you need! We are only able to respond by forum two times so if you would like to talk with someone live please contact us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us on our website https://www.1800runaway.org/.

We wish you the best of luck in this difficult situation and are always here if you want to reach back out!

Stay safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X