Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Find Places to Stay at 17

So, I was looking ahead at colleges and how I would get to them, but I ran into a hurdle. You see, some of the colleges I am looking at going to are across the country, so I wouldn't be able to live at home. However, when I would be going to college, I would be 17 (as I skipped a grade in school). Thus, I would run into a few problems getting to college. Primarily, I can't find anywhere I would be legally allowed to stay at 17, and I don't want to force my parents to make any sort of a long drive with me. What places would I be able to stay at 17 if I were to drive (discounting family, as I'm not sure I would have enough to cover some of the routes), or would I have to fly? If I have to fly, how would I get through the airport and TSA at 17 alone (as some of the airlines themselves allow 15-17 year olds to fly solo apart from the unaccompanied minor programs, which force someone to have to pick you up once you get to the airport of choice)?

Originally posted by Guest View Post
    So, I was looking ahead at colleges and how I would get to them, but I ran into a hurdle. You see, some of the colleges I am looking at going to are across the country, so I wouldn't be able to live at home. However, when I would be going to college, I would be 17 (as I skipped a grade in school). Thus, I would run into a few problems getting to college. Primarily, I can't find anywhere I would be legally allowed to stay at 17, and I don't want to force my parents to make any sort of a long drive with me. What places would I be able to stay at 17 if I were to drive (discounting family, as I'm not sure I would have enough to cover some of the routes), or would I have to fly? If I have to fly, how would I get through the airport and TSA at 17 alone (as some of the airlines themselves allow 15-17 year olds to fly solo apart from the unaccompanied minor programs, which force someone to have to pick you up once you get to the airport of choice)?
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out, we hope to help as best as we can.

It sounds like you're planning ahead for when you're in college and trying to account for where you'll stay, and how you'll get there. The rules for at what age you can live on your own are different for each state, but most colleges and universities likely have on-campus housing that would be available to you even if you are a 17-year-old freshman. Even if you don't live on campus, the school you attend will likely have connections to off-campus housing that is accessible to students. It might be helpful to reach out to an admissions advisor or someone from student services at the schools you're considering and telling them you're a prospective student looking for assistance with housing questions.

Different airlines do have different regulations on flying when you are under the age of 18, but most don't have a problem with it. It should be information accessible on the website for any airline. If you have a license and are able to drive yourself to whatever state your college is in, so long as you register your vehicle in the new state it shouldn't be an issue.

If we misunderstood any of your questions or can be of further assistance in any way feel free to contact us again (more specific details about locations are always helpful). You can live chat us at 1800runaway.org or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. Both are accessible 24/7.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X