No announcement yet.

I have a friend who's 15 and being abused by his parents

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ccsmod7
    Hi there,

    Thank you for sharing and it's great that you care so much about your friend. Just a disclaimer: we are not legal experts but have a general understanding of runaway laws. With that being said, if your friend were to run away from home, this would not be illegal, but something called a status offense since they are under 18. If your friend's parents decided to file a runaway report with the police, the police would be obligated to find your friend and would most likely return them home. Additionally, if your friend were to stay with anyone over the age of 18, it is possible that the person or people your friend stays with could be charged with harboring (or housing) a runaway. It's understandable that your friend may be uncomfortable with CPS or the police.

    As for emancipation, specifics vary by state, they will generally have to prove the following things: they meet the age requirement (it depends on the state) and they are capable of supporting themselves and managing their own financial and personal affairs. Emancipation can be a lengthy process as it has to go through the local court system and may require legal fees.

    While we cannot provide legal advice or guidance, we can look into legal aid options or other resources that may be available in your friend's area. In order to help you or your friend walk through this process or look for shelter resources that are specific to your area, we can be reached via : 1-800-RUNAWAY or Great job supporting your friend in a time of need.

    Stay safe,

    Leave a comment:

  • Guest
    Guest started a topic I have a friend who's 15 and being abused by his parents

    I have a friend who's 15 and being abused by his parents

    My friend who's 15 and being mentally and verbally abused by his parents is trying to run away to a friends house, until he is 16 and old enough to be emancipated. He feels as though cps can't help and he is very scared of the police. would this be illegal and what steps could he take to make it legal
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp