Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• youth shelters for runaways

I am planning to run from my abusive family situation. Only temporarily, I'll commit suicide after five months or so. I want to experience life on my own away from my mother for just a few months but I don't care if it's unsustainable long term. I will run to New York City since it's far from my house and there are tons of people. So anyway I plan to mostly hang out in public spaces like libraries, cafes, and parks, blending in with everyone else so people won't notice me. The only issue is im not sure how I'll spend my nights, obviously it will be very dangerous for a fifteen year old girl alone in New York. I was wondering about youth shelters there, will they need documents or Id? Will they report me if they find out I'm a runaway? Will the police know I'm there and what would they do if they catch me? Do I have to go to school? Thanks!

Hello, thank you for reaching out to us. We are very sorry to hear that are going through an abusive family situation at home. You’ve clearly been going through a lot and we are here to offer you our support. It’s understandable that you would want to runaway and aren’t worried right now about your long term future. As bad as you may be feeling now, know that things can get better and that you deserve your life. You will not live with them forever, no matter how this plays out and you deserve your life to see how things will be better. If you are seriously thinking of dying by suicide, please call the suicide hotline (800-273-8255). They have a lot of experience helping people like yourself who are feeling suicidal.

There’s a lot to think about when leaving home, and you brought up a lot of valid concerns, like where you’ll spend your nights, what type of documents you need, the law, and school. Please call us at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us through this website and we can help you think through these things. We work better when we can have a conversation with you and better understand your situation. It is really dangerous for a 15 year old to not have a place to stay at night, and we can help provide you information on potential options for your situation. We truly hope to hear from you soon.
    Sincerely,
    NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Are there shelters that take in runaways? I don't have anywhere else to go...

Comment

• ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out it shows a lot of courage. One resource that you can use is National Safe Place to use that you would text SAFE and your current location (address, city, state) to 4HELP (44357) and it will give you the closest safe place to your location. You can also visit National Safe Place online at https://www.nationalsafeplace.org/find-a-safe-place. If you would like you can always contact us and if you give us more detail about your location, we might be able to find a shelter in your area.

Remember you are not alone, and you can always reach out to us. We are 24/7 and can be reached through chat at www.1800runaway.org or via phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Stay safe and stay strong,
        NRS
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X