Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do police look for a 17 yo runaway in washington?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod2
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hey there,

You seem to be having a hard time between school and your home life. If you are a minor and you decide to leave home, you could end up with other stressful situations even though you are no longer at home. Running away may not change your feelings or thoughts, or people being mean to you in other situations. Unfortunately we cannot tell you what you should do since we are non directive. If you are feeling stressed and need someone to talk through your thoughts with, you are welcome to call or chat with us.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Help
    I just want to leave my mother house right now I don't have a job but I have a plan to go but not right now and I don't want to go back to school because people there are mean to me. To the point where I have wanted to die. I just want to leave asap. What should I do??

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Re: Do police look for a 17 yo runaway in washington?

First of all thank you so much for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline! It sounds like you have been going through a lot and are looking to get some help and it’s great that you are looking for more options. You mention that you experience abusive conditions at home. It’s important for you to feel safe and supported at home. Something to think about is reporting that abuse. This may or may not be something you are comfortable with and that’s okay. If you do want to report the abuse you can talk to a teacher you trust at school, call the police, or call us at NRS.

If you don’t want to report the abuse, you mention that you want to runaway while living in an apartment. Since you are still legally a minor your legal guardians would be able to file a runaway report with the police. Depending on the city and state you live in, your local police department may handle this differently. We here at NRS are not legal experts, but the police could actively search for you, and in some cases they may charge the people you are staying with, with harboring a runaway. Something to think about is contacting your local police department and asking them hypothetically how they handle runaway reports when filed. If you are uncomfortable with that you can call us and we can call them on your behalf.

It’s great that you are looking out for yourself and are trying your hardest to create a living experience that would be supportive for yourself. Feel free to call us at anytime at 1-800-RUNAWAY to get more support and resources for your specific questions. We are available 24/7 and are completely anonymous and confidential. We hope this was helpful and wish you luck with everything!

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    17 years old

I am 17 years old, if I leave home because of abusive circumstances, to a home that I will be paying rent as, as a roommate, meanwhile not letting the renter or owner of the home know I am a runaway could they get in trouble? I want to remain in my school I have a steady job and bad home. Will me leaving in that scenario be a threat to either of us? If I live in washinot on state and leave to Idaho will they try to track me down and follow me there?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Re: Please Help

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like things must be really difficult for you at home right now. We’ll do our best to give you some useful information. If you feel like you need something more specific, feel free to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). You wouldn’t have to tell us anything you’re not comfortable sharing, but we might be able to provide more specific information over the phone.

First, most states have some process for becoming legally emancipated, although the exact details differ from one state to the other. You didn’t mention which state you’re living in, so we won’t be able to provide those details right here, but usually you need to be able to demonstrate to a judge that you are mature enough to support yourself while still attending school. One of our liners can give you a little more information about resources in your state, or you might be able to find some information by searching online.

Second, running away is not against the law, although if you’re under the age of 18 in most states your legal guardians can file a runaway report with the police. That would make the police aware that you are missing, and if they locate you they would be required to bring you home. That said, if you do decide to run away, it’s helpful to know where you can go. Our liners can help you find resources if you do take that step.

It’s completely understandable to feel like you want to escape from a difficult home environment. Know that if you are being abused in any way you have the right to contact your local police department or the Child Protective Services in your state. Again, don’t hesitate to reach out to one of our liners if we can provide any more help.

Best wishes,
    NRS
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 12-30-2015, 07:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    Please Help

My family's really messed up I don't really want to explain why because that's a lot to right but is it legal to get emancipated at the age of 15 and will the police come get me if I leave my house without permission at the age of 15?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod14
    replied
    Re: what can I do?

Hi,

Thanks for contacting us today, it’s really great that you are reaching out to get information to help your girlfriend. Here at NRS we aren’t legal experts, so we can’t say exactly what would happen if she were to move in with you. However, we can say that running away isn’t illegal, it’s just a status offense. So as long as she is not on probation and isn’t caught doing anything else illegal, the biggest consequence would probably just be the police returning her home. However, 17 is a grey area for a lot of states, sometimes the police will treat it like any other runaway situation, other times they won’t even take a runaway report or if they do, they will just make sure the youth is safe but not return her home.

One way that you can get more specific information on what could happen in your girlfriend’s situation is to call your local police department’s non-emergency number. You can do this totally anonymously and just talk about a hypothetical situation to see if they consider 17 year olds runaways. Another thing that you may want to ask about, because she would be staying with you, would be if you could get in trouble for harboring a runaway. It can sometimes be a little scary to call the police on your own, so if you want assistance making that call or just want to talk about the situation and need other resources, you can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), we are here 24/7.

Or, you can live chat with us on our website, www.1800runaway.org, everyday 4:30pm-11:30pm. You can also pass along our information to your girlfriend in case she wants to talk about what’s going on or needs other assistance.

Good luck!
    NRS

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    what can I do

What can I do about letting my girlfriend to stay with me she's 17 but turns 18 in 4 months what can I do ?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I dont know about Washington but in South Carolina they dont come get you.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    replied

Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Switchboard. It sounds like you are seriously considering running away and have thought about your basic needs like food, shelter, and clothing. It sounds like school is important to you and that you would to either receive your high school diploma or get a GED. How do you this would be affected if you left home? If you haven’t had a chance to fully explore our website, here is a link to some common questions to think about before leaving home. http://www.1800runaway.org/youth_teens/nrs_help.html We cannot make the decision for you to run away or not, but should you want to further discuss possible options you can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You are able to remain anonymous, confidential, and can call us anytime.

As far as the legalities and what the police would do, to our knowledge running away is just a status offense. This basically means that you cannot leave home without permission based on the fact that you have reached the age of majority which is 18 in most states. If you mom did decide to call the cops, they may take a runaway report which would most likely put you in the NCIC (National Crime Information Center) database. The police do not always actively look for runaway youth, but if they get caught for something else (like curfew, theft, etc.) the runaway status might come up. Sometimes they will temporarily detain youth until they can be released to a parent/guardian, but if the youth is still within the same general area and hasn't committed a major crime, they ususally just take the youth back home.

Many states do consider harboring a runaway a crime though. Do you think your mom would try pursuing charges against the people/person whom you plan on staying? If you would like more specific legal information, we would be happy to provide you with legal aid referrals based on your town/city. As we mentioned above, you are welcome to call us at any point. We wish you the best of luck!

-NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Do police look for a 17 yo runaway in washington?

Do police look for a 17 yo runaway in washington?

Hey there, I am considering running away until I am 18. I turn 18 in January but I do not want to wait that long. I still want to finish high school and get a Ged. I have a place to stay which provides food shelter and clothing. I have a job and a steady income. I just feel as though I am ready to live on my own without parental authority and I am ready to take responsibility and make my own choices. I have a question though. My mom said that if I left she would call the cops, but can the cops make me return home? And do they even look for 17 and 1/2 yo runaways? I have not left home before so I have no previous history. I just want to know what the police will do if they are called. Thank you.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X