Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do police look for a 17 yo runaway in washington?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I really want to get out of the house because I am have been experiencing emotional abuse and neglect. I am 17 years old and I live in Washington State. I wanted to know if the people I stay with can get in trouble with the law if I stay with them. My parents are so focused on not letting me leave they would call the cops if I was a minute over curfew. I do not have a job and I am on the path to graduate with a highschool diploma. I have good grades in highschool but I hate my house. I want to leave and live with my boyfriend. I read u should try to get a recording of my parents saying to get out of the house so police can't force me to go back. I don't know if it's true but I am willing to try it. How do I leave and cops not get who I am staying with in trouble and take me home.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to write us here at NRS. It can certainly be stressful at home when the adults in the household are not supportive. Emotional abuse does get overwhelming and it can be tough to cope with on your own. Abuse of any kind is never okay and not your fault. Doing your own research while thinking about the decision to leave was really responsible.

Generally speaking, your parents are your legal guardians until you turn 18, so they can decide where you live. If you do choose to leave without permission, your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means that if your parents know where you are staying then they can have the police return you home. There is a charge called harboring a runaway that could affect the people you stay with, but from what we know it is not common and not used to punish someone who is keeping a young person safe. Some police departments do get more lenient with someone who is so close to 18 and will not even take a runaway report. You can call your local police department's non-emergency number to ask about their protocol.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Guest replied
    I turn 18 in about 40 days,my neighbors said I could stay with them as my mother emotionally abused me ,if I stay with them will they get in trouble,I live in WA

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. We are not legal experts but we do have some general information on the laws. From our understanding you would not get in any trouble for reporting a runaway. If you do report them after three days you may be questioned why you waited and you can tell law enforcement what you have told us. Also you can contact The Center For Missing and Exploited Children at: 1800-843-5678.
    We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to explore options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, I need help in a situation I’m going through. I wanted to find out if I would get in trouble if I just want to report a runaway now after three days. He is only 15 and I just wanted to give him space to think about his actions but apparently he hasn’t came back and now I’m worried.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It sounds like you love your daughter a lot and care about her safety and well-being, this must be a stressful and emotionally taxing situation for you. If your daughter ever leaves home you can contact your local police to file a runaway report, which is like a missing person report. Runaway reports can be filed at any time (no matter how long ago she ran away). Running away is considered a status offense, meaning it's not illegal but something that cannot be done by a minor. If the authorities locate your daughter she will most likely be returned home to you.

It can be really hard to take on situations like this and we want you to know that you aren't alone. If you ever want to reach out for additional support from other parents who can provide an empathetic ear you can always check out Team HOPE (Help Offering Parents Empowerment) by calling 866-305-4673 or by going to missingkids.org/teamhope

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi my daughter is 17 and keeps running away. She has a good life at home. She is not abused and for sure always gets what she needs and most of the time, what she wants. Life is not perfect, of course, but when we are not in agreement, she'll just choose to leave. Take all her stuff and just leave while I'm at work. I don't know what to do. She won't answer her phone. Her friends lie for her. She lies to her friends parents about me. Help point me in the right direction please.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. We are sorry you are going through such a difficult time right now. One option is you could try and talk to a school counselor, sometimes talking to a professional can help you feel better.
    We are not legal experts but we do have general knowledge of the laws. If you were to run away your legal guardian does have the right to file a runaway report. If the police do find you they most likely will bring you back home. One option you could consider is to talk with your adopted family and see if they would give you permission to stay with your biological father. At NRS we offer conference calling where if you call us we will call out to your parents. Conference calling allows you to be heard and we are there to mediate the conversation and provide support to you.
    We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. Please give us a call if you have any more questions or would like to explore more options. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support to you. We wish you the best of luck in your situation.
    NRS

Guest replied
    hi my names jacob.im 17 1/2and i live in idaho. i was adopted when i was three. my life at home is very rough and im treated very poorly. i recently got in contact with my biological father. he lives in washington. my question is if i runaway to his house without permission. will the police try to track me down in washington?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hey, there,
    Thanks so much for reaching out. It sounds like you’re in a very stressful situation and we’re glad that you wrote in for support. It must be really frustrating that your parents don’t give you the freedom to enjoy yourself in the same way that your friends are able to. It is concerning to us that your parents have been slapping you and hurting you. You never deserve to be treated that way. You deserve to feel safe and supported where you are! We aren’t legal experts, but this may be considered abuse. You have the right to file an abuse report to let child protective services know what’s going on. You can do this by confiding in an adult in school or by calling the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-422-4453, which is confidential.
    It sounds like you’re thinking about options to “escape,” which is understandable given your situation. Since you are under 18, you would still be considered a minor. You would need parental consent to leave home. If you leave without permission, your parents would have the right to file a runaway report and if the police are able to locate you they may return you home. That being said, some police choose not to pursue 17 year old runaways. If you want to know how your local police handle 17 year old runaways, you can call your local non-emergency police line and ask hypothetically. With all of this in mind, if you still believe leaving home is your best bet, you might want to consider the following: where you’ll go, how you’ll get there, where you’ll get money and food, and whether you have clothes appropriate for extreme weather.
    It sounds like it’s very important to you to have some independence from your parents. If you think it might be helpful, we are able to offer conference calls between youth and their parents. We would act as facilitators to help you have a conversation that is fair and hopefully productive.
    Thank you again for reaching out. We hope this was helpful and we encourage you to reach out by phone if you need additional resources or need help figuring out your options. Our number is 1-800-786-2929 and our lines are always open. If you have a moment, we'd appreciate your feedback of our crisis services at the following link:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think
    Stay safe!

Guest replied
    Hey I'm 17 years old. I turned 17 in February. Between my family and school, I don't want to live with my family because they invade my privacy. They don't let me go out like other kids at school do. I'm not allowed to be like 17 year olds and live the last year of my teenage years the way that other 17 year olds do. They don't let me hangout with my friends (if I told them I was gonna go hangout with a friend after school and be home at a good time for me to be home, my parents will punish me and get mad and even yell and say you know your not suppsed to do that. You're grounded! Other kids parents are different. They let them hangout with their friends as long as they know where they are and have a way of getting ahold of them and having a time to get home by. They won't let me enjoy my last year of being a minor like the other kids get to. For example: if I dont finish one can of soda I'll get punished. (They like the kind of friends I hangout with). All the other kids have privliges at my school that I'm not allowed to have. I grow sick of how my parents treat me. If I'm having a conversation with my parents and I say something they don't like they will get mad and scream in my face saying don't say another word. There was something I wanted to say one last that was important and they slap me hard and my dad comes at me and slams me hard against the couch and gets more mad as he hollars and screams at me in extreme outrage. These things my parents do in outrage and slapping me and stuff they do, they do it for years and its still continuing as im 17 and my dad tries to cause a fight alot. When i was 15 my dad made me bend over and he would get out his belt and spank me hard more than 5 times. I think he made me take my pants off once or twice to spank me like that. That' one of the ways he punishes me by beating me. My dad has pulled My Hair sometimes. My mom would leave a red mark on my arm from slapping me so hard. I don't wanna keep living like this. I'l be 18 in like 10 months from now. I know places I could go to where I would have arm good place to sleep, a place that has food and I would help chores around there. I wanna so badly be free from the physical and emotional pain my parents give me. I grow very tired of it. And all I feel like doing i crying and hiding in my room but my parents get upset and mad that i just want some alone time with peaceful and quiet and my dad gets mad and says door stays open or else I will take the door off. What do I do it escape this!?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are going through so much with the loss of your dad and having a rough patch with your mom. It seems so hurtful that she takes away his things when you get in trouble. Your dad and his memory should never be used against you like that. You so deserve the time and space to mourn, and to be supported rather than put down during this time of grieving.

To answer your question, running away is generally a status offense rather than being illegal, so you would not be "charged" or arrested if you ran away. A status offense means something that you cannot do due to being a minor, such as smoking a cigarette as a minor. Typically, if you are under 18 and you leave home without permission your mom can file a runaway report for you with local police, and if you are found you could be returned home. While you usually cannot be arrested; if you are found far away from your mom it is possible that you could be detained until police can get you back home or until your mom gets you. The only one that could get in trouble is the legal adult who knowingly houses you as a runaway; they could be at risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. However, you mentioned you are going to family so you might think about whether or not your mom would try to press charges against other family members.

It's understandable that you are frustrated with your mom for the way she has been treating you and how she is using your dad's things as a form of punishment. If you haven't already, you might try to talk to her about how her actions are making you feel and what your needs are during this difficult time. If she is not hearing you, you might try to include a trusted adult in on the conversation to help advocate for your needs. Here at NRS, we do have a conference call service where we can facilitate a mediated conversation between you and your mom. It can serve as a safe place to express how you are feeling. During this time, it is important to think about your own self care and what you need. If you are interested in finding counseling services focused on grief you might look at the National Alliance for Grieving Children's resource directory: https://childrengrieve.org/find-support#.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you ever need. We can talk through your situation, provide support, help brainstorm your options, and look for helpful resources for you.

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think.

Best,

NRS

Guest replied
    me and my mother are going through another rough patch in our relationship, recently my dad passed and when i get in trouble she throws/ takes his things away from me, its getting very stressful to the point where i really am debating on weather to leave or not, if i do what would happen, i would go stay with family but if i do would i get a charge?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    replied
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to listen and to support.

We are not legal experts, but generally speaking because you are a minor, if you run away and your parent or guardian files a run away report then you could be returned home if found. It is not illegal to run away, but there could be legal consequences for your boyfriend for what is called harboring a runaway. This is often a misdemeanor but would be dependent on the actions of both your parent or guardian and the police. Not all departments take runaway reports for 17 year olds because they are so close to being considered a legal adult, so one thing you could do would be to reach out to them directly and ask. You could inquire anonymously about how they handle runaway reports for 17 year olds by calling their local non-emergency number. If you need help getting that number or want to talk through your options don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We're here to listen, here to help.

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Best,

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I’m 17 1/2 and I want to runaway to my boyfriends house who is 19. Can he get in trouble for harboring me, and can I get in trouble and sent home for runing away?

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X