Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do police look for a 17 yo runaway in washington?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi my daughter is 17 and keeps running away. She has a good life at home. She is not abused and for sure always gets what she needs and most of the time, what she wants. Life is not perfect, of course, but when we are not in agreement, she'll just choose to leave. Take all her stuff and just leave while I'm at work. I don't know what to do. She won't answer her phone. Her friends lie for her. She lies to her friends parents about me. Help point me in the right direction please.

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It sounds like you love your daughter a lot and care about her safety and well-being, this must be a stressful and emotionally taxing situation for you. If your daughter ever leaves home you can contact your local police to file a runaway report, which is like a missing person report. Runaway reports can be filed at any time (no matter how long ago she ran away). Running away is considered a status offense, meaning it's not illegal but something that cannot be done by a minor. If the authorities locate your daughter she will most likely be returned home to you.

It can be really hard to take on situations like this and we want you to know that you aren't alone. If you ever want to reach out for additional support from other parents who can provide an empathetic ear you can always check out Team HOPE (Help Offering Parents Empowerment) by calling 866-305-4673 or by going to missingkids.org/teamhope

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
      NRS

Hi, I need help in a situation I’m going through. I wanted to find out if I would get in trouble if I just want to report a runaway now after three days. He is only 15 and I just wanted to give him space to think about his actions but apparently he hasn’t came back and now I’m worried.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. We are not legal experts but we do have some general information on the laws. From our understanding you would not get in any trouble for reporting a runaway. If you do report them after three days you may be questioned why you waited and you can tell law enforcement what you have told us. Also you can contact The Center For Missing and Exploited Children at: 1800-843-5678.
      We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to explore options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Best of luck!
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X