No announcement yet.

16 Idaho Runaway help

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 16 Idaho Runaway help

    My guardian is military. So I just moved to Idaho. Ive never had a heard time fitting in, until now, & my mother does not understand. I want to go back to Jersey, or move in with family in Nevada. I have thought about emancipation, but it would break my moms heart, and is illegal in Idaho unless your married. I have also looked into changing my guardians to family in Nevada, but my mother would never go for that. So I guess this is my last option, running away. I have never felt more alone, or more misunderstood in my life. So what I need to know is, how is it possible to get back to jersey? Hitchhiking does not seem safe, and I cant order an airplane ticket because Im only 16. How much trouble will I get in if caught, since I would not like to be in some kind of Juvi forever? Lastly, am I being irrational? Thanks.

  • #2
    Re: 16 Idaho Runaway help

    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard during your difficult time. We understand that it can be a hard thing to do, asking for assistance, and we’re glad you chose to contact us. We are a completely confidential and anonymous hotline that is available 24 hours a day. We cannot give you advice or tell you what to do but what we can do is help you to find other resources that may be able to assist you further.

    You began by saying that your guardian is military, what do you mean by that? It sounds like things are really rough for you right now. You just moved to Idaho and are having a hard time fitting in with your peers. It sounds like you want to go live with some family you have in Nevada but that your mom wouldn’t allow it. Have you discussed this with your mom at all?

    You mentioned emancipation but that it would break your mom’s heart. You also said that it is illegal unless you were to marry. What are some other options you may have?

    We are not legally trained so I cannot give you specifics about state law in Idaho. Generally speaking, it is not illegal to run away; it is considered a status offense because you are a minor and will not remain on your record. What that means is that if you are found or picked up by the police, they will either contact your mom to alert her that you’ve been found and then try to make arrangements for your safekeeping until she can arrive

    We also have a program with Greyhound called ‘Home Free.’ The Home Free program is a family re-unification program that requires us to do a conference call with your parent/legal guardian. We would also require paperwork from you and from the legal guardian.

    Another service we offer is a conference call. If you would like to contact your mom at any point, we can help you do that. We can help you to talk to her about some of the things you are feeling. Since we are completely confidential and anonymous, she would not be able to track the call.

    If you are interested in these or in any of our services, please contact us. Remember, we are a confidential and anonymous hotline. We can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY. If you have further questions, please contact us at any time and we look forward to hearing from you!

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp