No announcement yet.

My mom is withholding my social security number and my birth certificate

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My mom is withholding my social security number and my birth certificate

    I am 15 and my mom keeps kicking me out and reporting me as a runaway, and I don't feel comfortable having to sleep at my friend's houses(especially now that she threatened to sue anybody who allows me to stay at their place for a night), so i wanted to start working but she's refusing to give me my birth certificate, or my social security number, as well as she is refusing to help me get a state id and i just don't know what to do

  • #2

    Hi, thank you for reaching out to NRS. It sounds like things are rough at home. It is understandable that you feel uncomfortable staying at your friend’s house. It’s not ok that you feel so isolated, and it’s amazing that you have the maturity to realize that working is an opportunity for you to be away from home. Your school’s registrars office might have copies of your birth certificate or be able to give you your social security number. Your school counselor might also be able to get you access to these documents. General legal aid in your state is another potential resource. We encourage you to reach out to us via our phone hotline or online chat service to talk about more about options that could be of help. We are available 24/7. Stay strong and stay safe!



    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp