how far would the police go to find me?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how far would the police go to find me?

im planning to run away, i just have a few loose ends i need to tie up and then i can leave. im 14 but with my mask on i pass for 21+ without it i pass for 15-18. how long would the police keep looking for me, especially if my parents would insist on them continuing to keep looking? how far would they go (contacting my friends and everyone ive spoken with, contacting homeless shelters, etc.)? thanks

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline, we hope to help the best we can. It sounds like you have a detailed plan in place for running away from home and are curious how the police would respond to your situation. Generally, 18 years old is the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once youth are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in their case. Generally speaking, if they encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, they will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to the youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on location or the details of the situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows a runaway youth to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth. We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X