Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 in 3 months and leaving state

Hello, so I am 17 years old will be 18 in 3 months (January 2022) I have grown up in an emotionally toxic and abusive. I have lived on egg shells most of my life. And I have just been confirmed that when I am 18 that week I can move out of my state and down south with my bf’s family. My worry is I will be doing it mid year of my senior year. And it will have to be super sudden, I won’t be able to inform my school. How will the transfer to their local high school go? Also, I worry when I leave my siblings (total 5) will be left to take the force of the emotional abuse. And for the first year or two I will not have contact with any of them. Am I making the safe choice to leave them? I know I have my whole future ahead of me to fix the bond I will be temporary destroying but it still hurts. So I want to know am I being smart and how would I go about transferring schools?

Hello There,

Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, it takes great courage to reach out and we are so glad that you have decided to reach out to us.

We are sorry that you have had to grow up in an emotionally toxic household, you did not deserve that. We know you mentioned the move will be sudden and you won’t be able to inform your school, but since you know about this move now you can start planning. You can let your school counselor know about your plans to move and they can help you with transferring and offer support. If this is not possible it may be a good idea to contact your new school and ask about how to transfer and what that process looks like.

If you are worried about your siblings safety or their mental health you can make a report by contacting Child Help at 1800-422-4453.

Because you know your situation the best we cannot tell you if this is the right decision for you, only you would be able to decide that for yourself. If you call or chat with us we can help you explore options and talk about the cons and pros and safety regarding your decision. We are available 24/7 to help and support you.

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X