No announcement yet.

i’m 16 and want to move out but i don’t want to get anyone in trouble

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • i’m 16 and want to move out but i don’t want to get anyone in trouble

    I am 16 and live in ohio and me and my mom have had issues my whole life. there’s a lot of things i’m not going to get into but the only option i have at this point is to just leave without her permission. if i leave and she files me as a runaway i know the police will try to return me home, if i refuse to go home will they still make me? and if i make it known who i am with and that i’m safe and it is known that my mother knows who i am with could who i’m with still get in trouble if i’m a runaway? how could i get around this please anything helps

  • #2
    Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’re living an somewhat of a toxic situation which is very unfortunate, especially at your age. Aslo, it appears that you have done some research on the laws in Ohio which is commendable to say the least!

    After a bit of a deeper google search on the Ohio laws it appears that you may have an opportunity to live somewhere provided the party you are staying with is willing to petition the court with information pertaining to your current living environment is endangering your welfare. Basically, you may have an opportunity to live somewhere provided your mother is notified and has given permission through the courts. Should your mother not be aware of where and with whom you are staying, there is the possibility of legal problems for harboring a minor which is something you should may want to consider. Please note we are not a legal organization and the above information was taken directly from the internet.

    Here are NRS we have a database of resources that may be of benefit to you which we can share with you should you want to hear more. An example of one you may want to look at in Ohio is a Transitional Living Program (TLP) which would provide a stable, low cost place to live as well as professional support. We are available to chat with you ( or speak on the phone (1-800-786-2929) 24//7 so please feel free to reach out if we can be of additional assistance. Thanks again for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. Good Luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    • #3
      What if my mom knows who and where i’m at but i refuse to come home and she doesn’t give permission for me to be there. Can the person still get in legal trouble?


      • ccsmod15
        Super Moderator
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

        Thank you so much for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. These are definitely great questions to consider when thinking about leaving home without your parent or guardian's permission. We are not legal experts, but we do have some general knowledge. There are laws called Harboring a Runaway in which the adult who houses you could possibly face legal repercussions. Depending on your age and the situation, the police are normally the folks who respond to runaway cases. It could be a good idea to reach out to your local non-emergency police line and ask how they normally handle cases like yours. If this is something you are uncomfortable doing on your own, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or live chat us through our website ( and we would be more than happy to assist you or do it for you. It could also be a good idea to get in touch with a legal expert local to your state. We would be happy to do our best to connect you to a resource near you. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us at any time, we are here 24/7/365. We hope to hear from you soon!

        Take care,
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif