No announcement yet.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • unsure

    so i live with my mom in california and shes very controlling as well as emotionally abusive and mentally abusive as well. i have a stepdad that lives in texas with my 2 brothers and he is willing to take me in anytime. im 17 and almost done with school and i want to know if its ok for me to leave my moms house to live with my stepdad because i know i will be safe and well cared for there but im scared she will call the cops and tell them i made everything up and ill have to be placed with her again

  • #2
    RE: unsure

    Hi there,

    Thanks for reaching out! 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth. A big factor in your case would be if your stepdad has any sort of legal custody over you, or if he is still considered a kind of legal guardian for you. If he is you may be legally okay to go to his home if not, he can be charged for harboring a runaway.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif