Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my parent unlist me as a runaway

Ive been a runaway for almost 4 months. I will be 18 in march. And my parents dont want me back. And i have been in contact wit my mom for months, trying to get enrolled into school. But she wont do it. Anf i was wondering if they could unlist me as a runaway. I really need to try something because my parents are of no help.

RE:
    Can my parent unlist me as a runaway

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out, we hope to help as best we can. Your parents can call the local police department where they reported you as a runaway initially and say you came home, or that they are okay with you staying where you are and no longer need to have you listed as a runaway. Also, once you do turn 18 any runaway reports will automatically be erased from the system with or without input from your parents as you would likely be considered an adult in your state.
    Schools are also required to allow you to enroll if you are considered homeless, regardless of the reasons why. If you are staying with friends to be safe you still have a right to an education, If you'd like to discuss this any further or you have any other questions please reach out to us via chat or phone!
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Stay safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Are there any options available for me. I have been listed as a runaway for almost 8 months, and my parents have made it clear that they still dont want me home. Im going to turn 18 in March, but i realky dont wanna wait that long. My parents still dont want to unlist me. And i still have yet to be enrolled into school. I wanted to just enroll myself but I dont want to get flagged, and i wouldnt want anyone who has helped me out to stay safe to get into any trouble.

Comment

Are there any options available for me. I have been listed as a runaway for almost 8 months, and my parents have made it clear that they still dont want me home. Im going to turn 18 in March, but i realky dont wanna wait that long. My parents still dont want to unlist me. And i still have yet to be enrolled into school. I wanted to just enroll myself but I dont want to get flagged, and i wouldnt want anyone who has helped me out to stay safe to get into any trouble.

Comment

• ccsmod16
          ccsmod16
          Super Moderator
          ccsmod16 commented
          Editing a comment
          We are glad you reached out to us for help. It is very stressful to handle this kind of situation with your parents and it's understandable to want to try to change the situation.

You have the right to enroll in a public school through the McKinney/ Vento Act that is a Federal Law and applies in every state. They are usually understanding about youth who run away. These resources are available by state and you can start that process by calling the National Center for Homeless Education Helpline at (800) 308 2145.

If at any point, you wish to contact your parents, we can mediate a conference call where we are your ally and advocate, and we do not give up any information on you. We have a confidential message service if a conference call sounds like too much too soon. We are here 24/7 and you can chat us through this website, or call our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 (1-800-RUNAWAY)
          Good luck.
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
      x
      x
      Working...
      X