Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running away w/friends, one is 11, what could happen once I am 18.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running away w/friends, one is 11, what could happen once I am 18.

I've made a plan with a few friends to run away once I have a driver's license in a year. One of my friends is only 11, so I'm concerned on what might happen when the rest of us are eighteen. By the time I'm 18 they'll only be 14 and still be considered a runaway. Could I(or the rest of my friends) be charged with harboring a runaway or perhaps even kidnapping even though we were all minors when we ran away? I don't want to have to hide from the law until I'm 22, especially since we'll need a stable source of income and plan to get some form of proper education as soon as possible.

Hi there, thank you for reaching out to NRS. We hope the following information can help you understand you decision.

It is very considerate and smart of you to pre-consider all of the risks before trying to carry out your plan to runaway. As you mentioned there will definitely be legal concerns when you all become adults, hiding out with a minor. Where will this youngest one go when you all turn 18?

Another thing to keep in mind, however, is that it will be a very difficult and possibly dangerous undertaking to evade parents/guardians and law enforcement for three full years. Think about how you all will keep yourselves safe from others who may want to take advantage of you and how will you all feed yourselves and have somewhere to stay… for three years.

We are not legal experts, so we cannot give you any legal information with any degree of certainty. Usually, running away is considered a status offense, meaning only illegal because of age, and the consequence is usually the minor being sent back to their guardians. However, one option you have is to reach out to your local law enforcement (non-emergency police) with hypothetical and anonymous questions to gauge your rights moving forward.

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline

[email protected] (Crisis Email)

1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X